Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #3,451 of 4,108
Hello all!

I'm new to the site and this is my virgin post.

Having ordered a Cayin N5IIS and awaiting its delivery, I have since discovered this thread which has naturally concerned me about the purchase. Now, this is quite a long thread and it seems that several issues have been resolved by Cayin with their FW updates and Andy certainly appears to be an extremely pro-active staff member which is extremely heartening. However I have found it difficult to keep track in identifying whether all issues have been successfully addressed or not and would be grateful if one of you kind soul(s) could tell me whether the FW updates have resolved my main initial concerns about the player:

USB DAC capability - my understanding is that this has only been partially resolved or am I wrong?
Rew/FF through a track using the hardware buttons on the device seems to have issues - is this resolved?
Issues with delay in pausing a track - resolved?
System freezing - is this still an issue?
Various issues with WiFi & Bluetooth connectivity - were there satisfactory resolutions?
Issue surrounding Google Play - it looks like this was resolved but would appreciate confirmation.

I guess, ultimately, what I really want to know is is the N5IIS a reliably stable device?

Also, I know that the original N5II had weak 2.5 and 3.5 connections but was the N5IIS unaffected by this?

Really hoping for some positive responses and anything else major that one should be aware of so thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #3,452 of 4,108
Hello all!

Having ordered a Cayin N5IIS and awaiting its delivery, I have since discovered this thread which has naturally concerned me about the purchase. Now, this is quite a long thread and it seems that several issues have been resolved by Cayin with their FW updates and Andy certainly appears to be an extremely pro-active staff member which is extremely heartening. However I have found it difficult to keep track in identifying whether all issues have been successfully addressed or not and would be grateful if one of you kind soul(s) could tell me whether the FW updates have resolved my main initial concerns about the player:

USB DAC capability - my understanding is that this has only been partially resolved or am I wrong?
Rew/FF through a track using the hardware buttons on the device seems to have issues - is this resolved?
Various issues with WiFi & Bluetooth connectivity - were there satisfactory resolutions?
Issue surrounding Google Play - it looks like this was resolved but would appreciate confirmation.

Also, I know that the original N5II had weak 2.5 and 3.5 connections but was the N5IIS unaffected by this?

Really hoping for some positive responses and anything else major that one should be aware of so thank you in advance!

I have N5iiS for a month or so already with latest 1.4en firmware. Indeed, there are some issues, but overall it is a very good DAP! Don’t bother too much. There is a delay in UI hardware buttons or lack of response if you wish, some UI drawbacks like almost impossible to move the track forward etc, but those are minor comparing to sonic quality IMHO. Hope that @CayinSupport will resolve them at the end.

Talking about the DAC. I tried it few times and generally it works connected to my Mac, but with resolution higher than 24/96, especially DSD (DoP) I have noticed some audio drops and clicks. @CayinSupport said that’s not a general purpose of the DAP, but I disagree, sort of :wink:

I don't use any fancy third party music apps besides the Spotify online and no issues.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,453 of 4,108
1) USB DAC — works ok, but when connected to laptop in DAC mode it's impossible to adjust anything (except volume), so you have to disconnect and connect again. And in this case it stops showing data info (bitrate, etc.) and even sometimes (rare) doesn't play anything, so have to reboot. Sometimes it produces a distorted sound — have to stop then play a track again (or maybe disconnect, don't remember). Also possible hiss/clicks with high resolutions AND with the screen turned on. And you also can't use bluetooth in DAC mode for unknown reason.

2) Rew/FF — I'm trying to not use it, because they've been working bad in the past, so I just trying to not use them through tracks. Can't comment.

3) Delay... sweet-sweet issue. No, not fixed, damn. Annoying as hell!

4) E.g. happens often while using bluetooth. Knowing it's very slow, I personally trying to not use it much except for copy files/play/stop actions. So saving my nerve system this way.

5) Wifi — seems ok. Bluetooth — crap. Bought OTG bluetooth aptX dongle from Aliexpress — works like a charm (except that DAP requires to reboot it sometimes to make it work).

6) GPlay — seems ok.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #3,454 of 4,108
That was quick!

Many thanks for your replies mkrzych and NicholasS.

I've got to say that I'm surprised and disappointed that what would seem as a given 'feature' of any DAP still has issues i.e. the Rew/FF and pausing a track - @Andykong are these issues still being looked at with a view to correcting in future FW updates?

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #3,455 of 4,108
That was quick!

Many thanks for your replies mkrzych and NicholasS.

I've got to say that I'm surprised and disappointed that what would seem as a given 'feature' of any DAP still has issues i.e. the Rew/FF and pausing a track - @Andykong are these issues still being looked at with a view to correcting in future FW updates?

No problem :wink: This is my first DAP, so I cannot really compare, but I enjoy it and got better with latest firmware. So positive improvement trend :wink:

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #3,456 of 4,108
haven't tried the rew/ff in a track

but yes, when pausing a song, there is a delay of like 1-2 seconds, haven't encountered a system freeze that often though

been using this mostly as Spotify player

given up using this a PC USB DAC because of issues if you can read several pages ago

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #3,459 of 4,108
I have N5iiS for a month or so already with latest 1.4en firmware. Indeed, there are some issues, but overall it is a very good DAP! Don’t bother too much. There is a delay in UI hardware buttons or lack of response if you wish, some UI drawbacks like almost impossible to move the track forward etc, but those are minor comparing to sonic quality IMHO. Hope that @CayinSupport will resolve them at the end.

Talking about the DAC. I tried it few times and generally it works connected to my Mac, but with resolution higher than 24/96, especially DSD (DoP) I have noticed some audio drops and clicks. @CayinSupport said that’s not a general purpose of the DAP, but I disagree, sort of :wink:

I don't use any fancy third party music apps besides the Spotify online and no issues.

Hmmm, so because the DAC is not the primary purpose of the DAP it doesn't need to work? Interesting perspective.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #3,461 of 4,108
I have the N5ii. I use it as a standalone music player (no wifi apps) and it's fantastic in that regard. My big issue is I can't get my computer to recognize it. It's a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop, and nothing I try can get it to connect. It connected the first time when I first got it, and that was it. Now I get an error message "Windows does not recognize this device as it has had problems."

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #3,462 of 4,108
I have the N5ii. I use it as a standalone music player (no wifi apps) and it's fantastic in that regard. My big issue is I can't get my computer to recognize it. It's a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop, and nothing I try can get it to connect. It connected the first time when I first got it, and that was it. Now I get an error message "Windows does not recognize this device as it has had problems."

Sounds like a fairly significant issue - how do you transfer music to the device?

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #3,464 of 4,108
Hello all!

I guess, ultimately, what I really want to know is is the N5IIS a reliably stable device?

To add to others: 3.5mm socket is still weak. Apparently the connection inside the player was improved so it shouldn't fail if you look at it sideways anymore. But socket itself is made of plastic, and mine is noticeably looser than when I got it in May.

Spotify offline works fine for others, not for many. Saving files in internal helps some, but the memory is too small to fit all offline files Spotify allows to download.

My review on the unit is up-to-date for further insight into the awful UX and UI. I would not recommend it as a Spotify player to anyone.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #3,465 of 4,108
To add to others: 3.5mm socket is still weak. Apparently the connection inside the player was improved so it shouldn't fail if you look at it sideways anymore. But socket itself is made of plastic, and mine is noticeably looser than when I got it in May.

Spotify offline works fine for others, not for many. Saving files in internal helps some, but the memory is too small to fit all offline files Spotify allows to download.

My review on the unit is up-to-date for further insight into the awful UX and UI. I would not recommend it as a Spotify player to anyone.

Thanks. Disconcerting to hear that the 3.5mm socket is still weak. Really beginning to regret my purchase now and suspect I may return it unopened. I understand initial teething issues and expect that but with apparently no remedies to some pretty straightforward functions (delay with pause etc) I'm quite shocked.

Any recommendations for a functioning alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back