Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,436 of 4,108
Considering mine that just came in has like software 2.1en installed I'm pretty sure that's a clear indication mines an early release at least.

Also, I have to ask and NEED an answer but is the volume knob supposed to be icky? Like, I when I turn it there's this like slight and almost random "clicking" going on but it's not at all consistent and almost gives the feeling something is wrong. Thanks!

Hi AndroidVageta,

Can't remember what fw was installed originally, but yes it would give an indication of which batch we have. Serial number should be the best proxy though, if we could link that information to Cayin's batches order (@CayinSupport).
I'd have to double-check but I feel like my volume knob isn't always consistent in its "clicking" while turning it, and the "sound" of it is really faint also. Was expecting a stronger "force feedback" on this as well, but I don't think there is something wrong with it. :wink:

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #3,437 of 4,108
Hi AndroidVageta,

Can't remember what fw was installed originally, but yes it would give an indication of which batch we have. Serial number should be the best proxy though, if we could link that information to Cayin's batches order (@CayinSupport).
I'd have to double-check but I feel like my volume knob isn't always consistent in its "clicking" while turning it, and the "sound" of it is really faint also. Was expecting a stronger "force feedback" on this as well, but I don't think there is something wrong with it. :wink:

I was expecting either a completely smooth wheel or defined clicks... Not this weird squishy semi clicky thing now.

Oh well I'll get use to it .. The track buttons on the side bring opposite of what they should be is odd and volume maintaining between Bluetooth and wired headphones sucks ... Turn up volume for Bluetooth, get out of car, headphones BLASTING. Anyway to adjust these things?

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #3,438 of 4,108
Oh also just to add to the above...is this thing supposed to be this slow and buggy? I got the main app constantly not responding, UI crashing...like I've barely used it more than I've had it mess up lol.

Also is there a delay in pausing music for others? Pausing takes like 3 seconds to happen...taking it off pause music is instant. Just weird.

Sounds freakin' great though!

Edit: Sending it back. The software is junk, honestly, and there's a damn delay AND static in the USB DAC audio so it's useless for anything but music.

Man this sucks. What else is there with a similar DAC and features for the price that actually works properly?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,439 of 4,108
Oh also just to add to the above...is this thing supposed to be this slow and buggy? I got the main app constantly not responding, UI crashing...like I've barely used it more than I've had it mess up lol.

Also is there a delay in pausing music for others? Pausing takes like 3 seconds to happen...taking it off pause music is instant. Just weird.

Sounds freakin' great though!

Edit: Sending it back. The software is junk, honestly, and there's a damn delay AND static in the USB DAC audio so it's useless for anything but music.

Man this sucks. What else is there with a similar DAC and features for the price that actually works properly?

Yeah, Cayin never did put out a firmware that fixed the USB DAC output to my knowledge. Given that they are hostage to HiBy at some level for the firmware, that may never happen.

The user interface is below average; but the sound it way above average. So its a trade off.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #3,440 of 4,108
The user interface is below average; but the sound it way above average. So its a trade off.

Yeah I was listening earlier and thought it sounded awesome but the DAC functionality limits kills it... One of the primary reasons I got it. That's really screwed up it doesn't work right. How is that even possible? Any work around?

As far as the interface goes it's fine for the most part but the complete lack of speed and fluidity and stability kills it.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #3,441 of 4,108
Yeah I was listening earlier and thought it sounded awesome but the DAC functionality limits kills it... One of the primary reasons I got it. That's really screwed up it doesn't work right. How is that even possible? Any work around?

As far as the interface goes it's fine for the most part but the complete lack of speed and fluidity and stability kills it.

Well, Cayin knows about all that and doesn't do anything about that. A new firmware is out and almost all old bugs are still there. I reboot the DAP (or it reboots by itself) every time when I want to use it with OTP/Bluetooth or DAC mode, it's a total disaster. Sometimes just wanna throw it at some wall, but remind myself that it won't help to fix the issues :) Annoying, annoying terrible performance with playback delays, rebooting, responsiveness, etc. DAP devs don't care much about their customers, it's obvious.

Btw, Happy New Year, folks! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,442 of 4,108
Considering mine that just came in has like software 2.1en installed I'm pretty sure that's a clear indication mines an early release at least.

Also, I have to ask and NEED an answer but is the volume knob supposed to be icky? Like, I when I turn it there's this like slight and almost random "clicking" going on but it's not at all consistent and almost gives the feeling something is wrong. Thanks!
We have consulted some users for the experience of the volume knob during the prototype stage. They consistently suggested that the volume knob needs a little tighter feel. We adopted the suggestion and tighten up the mechanical design of the volume knob. The accompanying impact is that when you turn the volume knob, it will produce a low-level "mechanical" click sound.
However, it does not affect the normal use of the volume knob, and if you are close to the machine, you can still hear the click of the volume knob.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,443 of 4,108
We have consulted some users for the experience of the volume knob during the prototype stage. They consistently suggested that the volume knob needs a little tighter feel. We adopted the suggestion and tighten up the mechanical design of the volume knob. The accompanying impact is that when you turn the volume knob, it will produce a low-level "mechanical" click sound.
However, it does not affect the normal use of the volume knob, and if you are close to the machine, you can still hear the click of the volume knob.

Cool now what about the USB DAC delay that ruins that and the unstable UI?

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,444 of 4,108
Not to say you don't have problems with your dap, but I haven't had any issues with mine. Other than the pause/play delay, and a slight delay after the screen turns on.

I haven't had reboots or crashes, etc... Maybe cause I'm using in audio priority mode most of the time.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #3,445 of 4,108
Not to say you don't have problems with your dap, but I haven't had any issues with mine. Other than the pause/play delay, and a slight delay after the screen turns on.

I haven't had reboots or crashes, etc... Maybe cause I'm using in audio priority mode most of the time.

If you start a playback and don't touch DAP it works mostly fine. But not 100% cases, sometimes just hangs (rare, but happens).
If you start using OTP device then it happens very often (every 3rd time you connect the device).
If you using bluetooth sometimes the performance just awful, playback interrupts, and bluetooth itself is very weak.
DAC doesn't work with bluetooth + disconnection/reconnecting as DAC doesn't work sometimes and I have to reboot the device. Etc.

Not saying about UI issues that can be fixed easily (e. g. almost impossible to rewind any track using your finger, only 1 skin of 3 allows to do that more or less).
A other tons of bugs and UX issues exist, and nobody fixes them because "it's not a priority" or something, blah-blah. It's DAP, not a stationary DAC that you wire and just turn on & off, it's a mobile device that HAS TO have a stable UI to provide a nice experience for users for this price. It's not a rocket science and even much cheaper devices are more stable and there are companies that care about customer issues and fix them asap.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3,447 of 4,108
Bugger, I thought I'd found a DAP finally after weeks of looking at the £100-200 bracket... only to find out that it's USB DAC doesn't work. I know it's a portable music player first of all, but it's a feature that a lot of new ones, even cheaper, have. If it's an option then it should work!

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #3,449 of 4,108
Yeah had a good read... I still get annoyed that they advertise a function that doesn't work. Is the S version worth the money then? Just saw you have the BGVP DMG... they're great eh! Silver filter for me

Sorry, off topic lol

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,450 of 4,108
Yeah had a good read... I still get annoyed that they advertise a function that doesn't work. Is the S version worth the money then? Just saw you have the BGVP DMG... they're great eh! Silver filter for me

Sorry, off topic lol

how much are the n5iis nowadays? yup, silver filter me too

careful, the n5 has wonderful sonic qualities but if you read from the thread, you have to know the drawbacks, I've only compared my n5iis with the Hiby R3 and R6, i really prefer the audio of the Cayin, it's more 'alive' to me

but the UI of the R6 is something else, it's fast and sleek like a smartphone

in the end, i kept the n5iis, warts and all lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back