1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by PinkyPowers, Oct 14, 2017.
First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last
  1. darkwing
    what kind of DAP are you looking for? for me I was looking for a Spotify player, the other DAP at that time was the Hiby R6, but it only had 32GB for it's internal memory, I tried to put the downloaded files on the SD card but experienced the re-download issue

the perfect player would be the Cayin sound + the R6 UI/UX lol haven't tried the FiiO M9 though

2. cathee
    Lol - why not try the DAP out for a little while before leaping to these drastic conclusions?

I had the N5ii and really enjoyed it. While there were some issues that made it frustrating at times (namely WiFi for me), in normal usage the UX/UI seems more than acceptable.

Maybe someone who's had experience of both the N5ii and the N5iiS can comment on the differences? I ended up pivoting to a DX150 but am now considering the N5iiS again for something a little more portable and with *TWO* microSD slots.

3. Imbrie
    Wow! I wish that I had happened upon this thread before purchasing. I've gone back and re-read several pages and the message I am getting is that, while the N5II/N5IIS certainly sounds good, a fair portion of of the advertised functionality is either impaired or simply doesn't work but owners are prepared to live with that because of the sound. So I now know in advance that a fairly expensive item I have just bought does not fully function as advertised and as long as I overlook those elements I'll have a great sounding device. Imagine buying any other item like that! A car for instance - it leaks petrol but when there is petrol in the tank it runs beautifully! Erm, no thanks.

Presumably, Cayin's other products function properly? If not, it's a perverse business model which suggests some change is needed in order to survive in a pretty competitive market. I don't think it too demanding or unreasonable for a product to, well, work.

4. Imbrie
    Well, primary usage would be as a straightforward DAP and the N5II genuinely seems like it would cut the mustard soundwise and for portability for commuting etc. However, I'm fairly often needing to stream from Apple Music via Bluetooth for convenience i.e. in the car, parties etc so wanted a device that could handle that so that I don't have to faff around with a DAP and my phone.

5. Imbrie
    With all due respect, they're hardly drastic conclusions as there are pages worth of examples of the aforementioned shortcomings of the player from numerous users so, naturally, I'm slightly concerned.

It's certainly interesting that you are considering a turn to the N5IIS so that does restore some faith. Yes, the availability for two microSDs is incredibly appealing.

And you are right, I should probably spend some time with the player and make an informed decision then and which, no doubt I will do - I'm just genuinely surprised at the quantity of issues that this player seems to have had.

cathee likes this.
  6. darkwing
    what headphone/earphone do you have btw?

7. Imbrie
    At the moment I'm reduced to a pair of RHA CL750s and Campfire Comets.

8. noverbeck
    Has anyone had issue with custom start-up volume. For me, it takes 1-2 seconds for it to adjust to the custom start-up volume upon starting the device, meaning it retains the volume from when the device was previously on rather than my custom input.

It's a pretty scary issue as I have different headphones I use, requiring different volumes. This has resulted in extremely loud music when I switch from full size cans to a sensitive IEM after power down cycles. It's an even bigger issue when you compound it with the pause delay. Some ear damage or headphone damage could result.

I thought setting a custom volume would be a good idea so I don't have to turn the volume all the way back down after I listen in case I start up the player again with a different headphone. Custom start-up gain would be nice too.

9. Pete7
    I had music already loaded onto a 256 gb card and a 200 gb microSD card for my Opus 1S. I can also load each card separately to the computer with a card reader and edit/load music via jriver. I can update the firmware on the N5ii via the wifi on the device, using chrome. I just can't connect the device to the computer and use the internal drive.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  10. NicholasS
    Oh, actually right. Issues with multiple SD cards and their visibility on laptop — is +1 annoying critical bug that prevents me from using the 2nd SD card normally (and I bought the DAP because of 2 SD slots as a "nice" feature). It doesn't see 2nd card either within itself on startup or via USB connection. You have to take it out and put in again, then probably it starts detect it, but not for a long. Also tried a different SD card, managed to show it as a disk, copying files and... the DAP just disconnects by itself, etc. So, be aware if using multiple SD cards, probably it won't work like for me.

Pete7 likes this.
  11. Pete7
    So this is a "thing" connecting to laptops? Got it. I haven't had a working desktop computer in about 9 years. I've had an Ipad since 2012 and the only purpose the laptop serves is music and DAP management (with a 4 TB external HD). Although I can live with this, it's still riidiculous a $300 + device can't connect to a laptop. Are you going to have an answer to this, Andy?
    The only time my N5ii connected to the laptop was the first time, and it was easy (both SD cards on board). That was 2 weeks ago, and since then I've tried multiple times and no luck. I've done double wipes, unmounted the cards and still that stupid error message. At least now I know it's not my laptop in particular.

12. NicholasS
    I have Mac. There is no issue connecting it for accessing only 1 SD card + internal memory.

Just tried a minute ago: took 2nd SD card out, put it back. DAP says it sees both cards now. Connecting to laptop, can see: internal memory + 2nd SD card. There is no 1st SD card (the main card I use for music at the moment). Eh... :frowning2: Disconnected from laptop. Now can see content on 2nd card and play it (although can't call tracks options dialog for some reason), but the 1st SD card has folder structure shown, but no files visible. Etc.

13. CayinSupport
    This may be related to the running rate of the system. I have fed back this problem to our engineers for analysis.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
  14. NicholasS
    CayinSupport, how about other old major issues to feed your devs/engineers for fixing for your customers? Not a priority again?

15. Imbrie
    @CayinSupport - are unresolved historic issues actively being pursued with the intention of remedies through future firmware updates or are users stuck with the ongoing losses to functionality?

Also, I see that other devices are receiving updates to Android so will the N5II also benefit from one?

Edit: Nevermind, I realise that the unit's SoC is limited to Android 5.1 - can the RK3188 cope with Marshmallow?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
First

Back
222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
Next

Last