Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #3,046 of 4,108
New to the Cayin world of DAPs, but a little question which im sure was mentioned in the thread(i hope) but unfortunately i can't find it (more than 200+ pages..)
but is there a difference between the N5II and N5IIS ? because looking at their site.. i can only tell that one is gun metal and the other is silver...

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #3,047 of 4,108
New to the Cayin world of DAPs, but a little question which im sure was mentioned in the thread(i hope) but unfortunately i can't find it (more than 200+ pages..)
but is there a difference between the N5II and N5IIS ? because looking at their site.. i can only tell that one is gun metal and the other is silver...
upload_2018-10-10_9-11-17.png

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #3,048 of 4,108

Sound wise Cayin states they are the same. Post above shows the changes.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #3,049 of 4,108
Sound wise Cayin states they are the same. Post above shows the changes.
would you know if this DAP pushes more power out the 3.5 and 2.5 than my current FiiO X5 Gen 3?

Oct 11, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,050 of 4,108
You mean change the Album tag sorting from alphabetical to chronological? This is unlikely, because in our experience, only a small percentage of users will have their complete music library tag correctly on year of publication. We can't offer multiple shorting option on the album tag because that will involve switching between a a simple single index based to a two tier shorting (year + title), the different probably is probably not so significant when we are dealing with a text based list, but when we are dealing with thumb-nail graphical based, that will require a lot of resources (a lot of read write action from TF cards and internal storage to RAM), to the extend that it will introduce audio drop when some initiate the switch during playback.

Ok, thanks for the reply. How about considering the size of thumbnail album art, can you make it bigger, instead of 3 by 3’s to 2 by 2’s?

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3,051 of 4,108
would you know if this DAP pushes more power out the 3.5 and 2.5 than my current FiiO X5 Gen 3?
It doesn't push more power.

But what it lacks in quantity it more than makes it up for in quality. It sounds a substantial amount better with a completely silent background.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #3,052 of 4,108
Ok, thanks for the reply. How about considering the size of thumbnail album art, can you make it bigger, instead of 3 by 3’s to 2 by 2’s?

Well, we have also received request to use smaller 4x4 thumbnail album art, which is understandable when they are dealing with 1,000 album arts in a 500GB to 800GB portable music library.

Sorry, unless we receive a very substantial feedback, otherwise the 3x3 thumbnail design will remain unchanged. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #3,053 of 4,108
Ah, so is it a well known issue?! Any comment from Cayin? @Andykong
Anyway, I've ordered double shielded Lindy 0.15m Anthra line USB C-A to check it out.

We have explained the situation when we issue the previous firmware update back in early September, you can check here for our explanation.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,054 of 4,108
We have explained the situation when we issue the previous firmware update back in early September, you can check here for our explanation.

Thank you Andy, but what is the conclusion for that in short, is it fixable? I have 1.3en firmware on my N5MK2SS as it is the way how my Mac recognize it as the DAC and still hear the distortions using original Cayin braided cable and listening over the IEMs from balanced output, it that's a problem with cable clearly? Should I (anyway I will do) try shorter, shielded one or the problem rely on other things like which device is the master clock and how the bit-perfect transmission is provided from the host (PC/Mac) towards the guts on the N5? DAP is set for music as the highest priority.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #3,056 of 4,108
@CayinSupport I wonder if it's possible to include a preamp slider in Eq.

I've been using Eq and the lack of a preamp to lower the volume has been causing some distortion issues.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #3,057 of 4,108
Thank you Andy, but what is the conclusion for that in short, is it fixable? I have 1.3en firmware on my N5MK2SS as it is the way how my Mac recognize it as the DAC and still hear the distortions using original Cayin braided cable and listening over the IEMs from balanced output, it that's a problem with cable clearly? Should I (anyway I will do) try shorter, shielded one or the problem rely on other things like which device is the master clock and how the bit-perfect transmission is provided from the host (PC/Mac) towards the guts on the N5? DAP is set for music as the highest priority.

We are still working on the USB Audio problem. What are the music you are playing back? with regular CD quality music files, the noise should be minimal. I didn't use Mac, so I am not sure if there is a major different because of that, it shouldn't be.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #3,058 of 4,108
@CayinSupport I wonder if it's possible to include a preamp slider in Eq.

I've been using Eq and the lack of a preamp to lower the volume has been causing some distortion issues.

Can you post your EQ setting for our reference? When you go into EQ, we lowered the output by 6dB immediately in order to minimize the distortion problem.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #3,059 of 4,108
We are still working on the USB Audio problem. What are the music you are playing back? with regular CD quality music files, the noise should be minimal. I didn't use Mac, so I am not sure if there is a major different because of that, it shouldn't be.

Unfortunately, most of the files are high resolution FLAC and some DSD64. That is the benefit of having a DAP right, because normal redbook files you could easily play on iPod for instance. With this USB problem it makes the external DAC feature almost useless and this is pity, hope Cayin will be able to resolve this issue soon with firmware update considering this as the major issue please.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #3,060 of 4,108
Using my N5ii as a DAC with my first amp ever:

480FC90E-0553-442E-A90F-D4C93713EB3E.jpeg

Drives the 6XX much better. Way better imaging, soundstage, details and separation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back