Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,337 of 4,108
Have you tried some streaming apps? They tend to "froze" more often, in my experience.
The freezing is on the default music player. Sorry but I don't use streaming apps.

Personally I prefer to downloading songs because I can get higher quality sound. I don't have Spotify premium so....

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #1,338 of 4,108
Happy Chinese New Year

This is a special time for family reunion, so we are taking a break to travel all the way back home.

Thank you very much for all the support we have received. May the New Year brings happiness and prosperity to you and your family.

Our office will close from 11th to 25th February, and we'll resume duty on 26th February 2018.

And a Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family, Andy! Get some rest, you can use it I'm sure!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,339 of 4,108
Personally I think it is a random bug. I find it extremely unlikely that a player with such a powerful cpu would freeze up when just playing 44.1/16 FLAC songs in audio priority mode.

16 hours in and so far it has froze 3 times. It takes about 7 seconds for the music to resume on its own.

I consider the frequently "uncomfortable", if you can, drop by the name of the songs after each freeze, and then we look into the file information to see if we can develop a pattern (this is our usual practice in bug catching).

By the way Andy, would it be possible for the equalizer to be enabled in audio priority mode in future firmware updates ?

We can put this in record as user request, but I can't promise anything at this stage, I can't talk to the software team because I am the last one working at home right now. :grin:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,340 of 4,108
I just performed a battery duration test for my N5ii based on the following condition:

Mode: Repeat Folder
Music: DSD64 Brothers in Arm album
Output: 2.5mm balanced headphone output
Headphone: Oppo PM2 full size planar
Headphone Cable: DHC Peptide Hybrid with Eidolic E2.5G-OS - 2.5mm mono (headphone ends) and Eidolic 2.5mm TRRS (DAP end)
Gain: High
Volume: 50 (very loud already)
Playback condition: Start at Battery =100, non-stop playback until auto power off, screen off most of the time

So this is a relatively tough battery duration test, and the result surprised me: 11 hours 22 minutes.

N5ii balanced phone out battery duration test.jpg

Battery test setup:

20180210_202055.jpg
20180210_202155.jpg

Please be reminded that you are not supposed to fully discharge a lithium battery, this is definitely not recommended, the better practice is to charge the battery when there is around 10-20% left in the gauge and don't charge the battery over 90%. I am charging my N5ii now and the moment I plug in the USB cable, N5ii displayed 2% on the screen, implying the power management chip has cut off the power when the battery of the players reached the lowest safety level.

20180210_213224.jpg

This will be my last post for a few days. I hope this battery duration test will make you happy before I disappear for a while. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,341 of 4,108
I consider the frequently "uncomfortable", if you can, drop by the name of the songs after each freeze, and then we look ito see if we can develop a pattern (this is our usual practice in bug catching).
Sorry but I can't remember which song was playing when it froze. I'll make sure to take note in future freezes.

Happy holidays Andy. I'll be heading home for chinese new year too on Tuesday.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,342 of 4,108
I just performed a battery duration test for my N5ii based on the following condition:

Mode: Repeat Folder
Music: DSD64 Brothers in Arm album
Output: 2.5mm balanced headphone output
Headphone: Oppo PM2 full size planar
Headphone Cable: DHC Peptide Hybrid with Eidolic E2.5G-OS - 2.5mm mono (headphone ends) and Eidolic 2.5mm TRRS (DAP end)
Gain: High
Volume: 50 (very loud already)
Playback condition: Start at Battery =100, non-stop playback until auto power off, screen off most of the time

So this is a relatively tough battery duration test, and the result surprised me: 11 hours 22 minutes.

Battery test setup:

Please be reminded that you are not supposed to fully discharge a lithium battery, this is definitely not recommended, the better practice is to charge the battery when there is around 10-20% left in the gauge and don't charge the battery over 90%. I am charging my N5ii now and the moment I plug in the USB cable, N5ii displayed 2% on the screen, implying the power management chip has cut off the power when the battery of the players reached the lowest safety level.

This will be my last post for a few days. I hope this battery duration test will make you happy before I disappear for a while. :beerchug:

Lovely results, Mr. Andy!

Hope you have good rest and happy holidays in there

I was actually wondering how much the battery will last, but this is even better than I expected

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,343 of 4,108
Battery test setup:

Wow very impressive!! and seriously go get a beer and a very happy Chinese New Year! :)

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #1,344 of 4,108
I'm trying to update the firmware but when I press previous key and hold the power key the DAP just turns off. I must be doing something wrong.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,345 of 4,108
I'm trying to update the firmware but when I press previous key and hold the power key the DAP just turns off. I must be doing something wrong.
You have to keep pressing it until it enters recovery mode

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,346 of 4,108

Same for me, I found that if you turn it off first then press the two buttons it worked.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,347 of 4,108
My Cayin N5ii Review is up, soon to be published on HF as well. It's a long read, including lots of pair up and compairson examples. Enjoy it.

cayin_n5ii-10.jpg

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,348 of 4,108
Please help!! Just bought this device and wanted to download Apple Music. I could not even connect to Wlan!!!! How????

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,349 of 4,108
My Cayin N5ii Review is up, soon to be published on HF as well. It's a long read, including lots of pair up and compairson examples. Enjoy it.

Post it in the X5iii thread, some have been looking for a comparison.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,350 of 4,108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back