Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,366 of 4,108
anybody tried N5ii with either Nano/Micro iDSD using this Anker usb-c to usb adapter? I got a few questions about it after the review since I only paired up Micro using Cayin's coax cable, while used usb-c to micro-usb in another pair up. I probably going to order this adapter anyway, but curious if anybody tried it or anything similar?

31u9EgABWmL.jpg

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,367 of 4,108
anybody tried N5ii with either Nano/Micro iDSD using this Anker usb-c to usb adapter? I got a few questions about it after the review since I only paired up Micro using Cayin's coax cable, while used usb-c to micro-usb in another pair up. I probably going to order this adapter anyway, but curious if anybody tried it or anything similar?

31u9EgABWmL.jpg
I don't have the N5ii (yet) but I had no issues connecting an N3 to my micro iDSD BL with an aftermaket USB c - USB A cable.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,368 of 4,108
I don't have the N5ii (yet) but I had no issues connecting an N3 to my micro iDSD BL with an aftermaket USB c - USB A cable.

My only concern was that cable being OTG, meaning Sense pin is grounded. But if it works, that's a good news! Will order it to check it out :)

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,369 of 4,108
My only concern was that cable being OTG, meaning Sense pin is grounded. But if it works, that's a good news! Will order it to check it out :)
Mine is not an Anker cable, I got it on ebay for under $3, "USB 3.1 Type C Male A USB 3.0 Female Adapter OTG Data Sync"

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,370 of 4,108
Any Class 10 TF card should be fast enough for the task, and I assume all TF card in the market right now are Class 10 or beyond.

There can be multiple reason for similar "freeze" situation and one of them is high CPU utilization rate, it might be related to the format of the current playing file and the amount of background task or user control at the same time. When CPU utilization rate drop down, the player will resume as normal. So this can be a combination of playback and other tasks at the same time, not a simple playback support problem.

im always on audio priority mode so what other tasks could there be? maybe it can be addressed on a future software update.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,371 of 4,108
im always on audio priority mode so what other tasks could there be? maybe it can be addressed on a future software update.
As Andy instructed, I have been copying the files that froze into a folder (3 files so far, couldnt remember the first 3).

Maybe you could do the same so that Andy and his crew can have a bigger sample size.

So far I have noticed that the files that freeze have album arts so that could be the problem here.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,372 of 4,108
I must thank @Andykong and Cayin for their diligence in this thread.

I haven't been very active in here, as there was nothing I could do to help with most of the issues people were experiencing. Nobody needed me popping in every page or so to say, "But Cayin's still awesome guys!" So I simply went quiet and watched with admiration how the team handled each and every fault and upset customer. And now we have new firmware that seems to sort out so many of these bugs.

Well done guys! You fought through a rough release and absolutely deserve your Chinese New Year holiday. You have my respect and gratitude.

~Pinky

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,373 of 4,108
As Andy instructed, I have been copying the files that froze into a folder (3 files so far, couldnt remember the first 3).

Maybe you could do the same so that Andy and his crew can have a bigger sample size.

So far I have noticed that the files that freeze have album arts so that could be the problem here.

Will do that. Although I usually almost always listen to albums from start to end. And all my files have album art.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #1,374 of 4,108
Will do that. Although I usually almost always listen to albums from start to end. And all my files have album art.
I just copy the file that froze over when it freezes so I don't have to wait a long time for an entire album to finish copying.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #1,375 of 4,108
After playing more with N5ii, I gotta say, this is an amazing DAP!

And the support Cayin and especially Mr. Andy offers is amazing!

More impressions on the device:

- This thing is so amazingly user friendly. Bloody back button is to die for. I don't say that there aren't other great implementations for navigation, but this is totally loveable.

- The built quality is amazing

- The device is small, numble, portable. I was using mainly Opus #1s for portable listening, and N5ii feels more portable.

- The sound is quite detailed. Me likey. Especially with IEMs, N5ii is pure love.

- I haven't ran into any bugs yet, but DHL made sure to deliver the package the same day when the latest firmware was released. Since I mainly use Folder browsing maybe I didn't notice it

- I now saw the screen color, but it is not any worse than the typical monitor or the typical laptop display, it is almost exactly the same thing. OFC, I am using large gamut displays along with drawing equipment, calibrated and most people have smartphones with lots of colors and such, but really I don't think that for most users N5ii will be an issue. I mean, if I don't see the same image on two devices, I can't even notice the fact unless actively looking for it.

- Cayin Support is bloody amazing. You know when a company stands behind their products.

- I had a chance to hear Cayin N6, Cayin knows their sound. They know their sound so well...

- The UI on N5ii is quite intuitive, at least for me.

- Amazing synnergy with RE2000, IE800, and many other IEMs.

- I think a large portion of my review will be comparing N5ii to Opus #1s, since they seem to be the most direct competitors at this date, at least sound and price wise. If you need streaming, you should know that #1s does not have

At any rate, N5ii is an amazing product from Cayin and I think that it will be an amazing DAP for a good while to come. It totally should be on your radar if you're attracted by its price range!

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,376 of 4,108
After playing more with N5ii, I gotta say, this is an amazing DAP!

And the support Cayin and especially Mr. Andy offers is amazing!

More impressions on the device:

- This thing is so amazingly user friendly. Bloody back button is to die for. I don't say that there aren't other great implementations for navigation, but this is totally loveable.

- The built quality is amazing

- The device is small, numble, portable. I was using mainly Opus #1s for portable listening, and N5ii feels more portable.

- The sound is quite detailed. Me likey. Especially with IEMs, N5ii is pure love.

- I haven't ran into any bugs yet, but DHL made sure to deliver the package the same day when the latest firmware was released. Since I mainly use Folder browsing maybe I didn't notice it

- I now saw the screen color, but it is not any worse than the typical monitor or the typical laptop display, it is almost exactly the same thing. OFC, I am using large gamut displays along with drawing equipment, calibrated and most people have smartphones with lots of colors and such, but really I don't think that for most users N5ii will be an issue. I mean, if I don't see the same image on two devices, I can't even notice the fact unless actively looking for it.

- Cayin Support is bloody amazing. You know when a company stands behind their products.

- I had a chance to hear Cayin N6, Cayin knows their sound. They know their sound so well...

- The UI on N5ii is quite intuitive, at least for me.

- Amazing synnergy with RE2000, IE800, and many other IEMs.

- I think a large portion of my review will be comparing N5ii to Opus #1s, since they seem to be the most direct competitors at this date, at least sound and price wise. If you need streaming, you should know that #1s does not have

At any rate, N5ii is an amazing product from Cayin and I think that it will be an amazing DAP for a good while to come. It totally should be on your radar if you're attracted by its price range!
Exactly why I went with the cayin N5ii instead of the FiiO X5 iii, Opus 1(non S) and the Hidizs AP 200

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,377 of 4,108
Exactly why I went with the cayin N5ii instead of the FiiO X5 iii, Opus 1(non S) and the Hidizs AP 200
The AP200 is currently a mess. They still have a long way to go before it is really usable. The N5ii has a few improvements to be made, but Caying is really standing behind their product and I think they will sort most things out in a few weeks.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #1,378 of 4,108

31u9EgABWmL.jpg

I have used a similar AmazonBasics cable. It works reasonably well but there are occasional pops and crackles in the music. Nothing for a minute or two, then an occasional pop or two and so forth.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,379 of 4,108
Wish the cayin team, and Andy a great new year with their families. We appreciate your efforts to provide support here.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,380 of 4,108
With FW 3.1 - After encountering consistent freezes in music playback (with corrupted or missing album art on restart) I have regretfully decided to take a break from the N5ii. Using it every day for a month, an hour or more each day, and having to perform numerous factory resets, cache wipes, "double wipes" , reloaded FW, library rescans, battery calibration, etc to get the player operational again. Very frustrating! So I have decided to return it for refund. I literally gave the DAP a chance right up to the last minute of the return window. It is a shame, because I generally enjoyed listening to the player & appreciated it's features. It just did not seem dependable - at least my particular unit. The N3 will be put back into service as I research a replacement for the N5ii - a player in the $400 range. As I don't care about having Wi-Fi or Bluetooth in a DAP, the Opus #1 or 1s look interesting. I'd be interested in opinions/comparisons if anyone would like to PM me with recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back