Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,187 of 4,108
Hi all, I'm new here. Would just like to share an app I made that makes creating playlists easier. Should work for all Android based DAPs but only tested on the Cayin N5ii since it's the only device I have and was my main focus when developing the app.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omak78n3wrjj3vs/MakePlaylist.rar?dl=0

Also if anyone would like the source for this, you can find it here.
Sorry to have to tell you this, but if the music files are nested inside any folders, your program doesn't work. Cayin's interface just refuses to recognize any music that isn't stored in the root directory on a playlist; I don't know why.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #1,188 of 4,108
Sorry to have to tell you this, but if the music files are nested inside any folders, your program doesn't work. Cayin's interface just refuses to recognize any music that isn't stored in the root directory on a playlist; I don't know why.

For songs inside folders, you could enter the folder path where it is located in the "Playlist Path" column.

Example: If your song is located in "/mnt/internal_sd/Music/Instrumental/Song.mp3", You should set the Playlist Path to "Music/Instrumental/" for it to be found.

Or if your folder structure is the same as in your device, you can just press "Assume playlist path" which automatically "guesses" the path to your songs based on where it is located locally.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,190 of 4,108
For songs inside folders, you could enter the folder path where it is located in the "Playlist Path" column.

Example: If your song is located in "/mnt/internal_sd/Music/Instrumental/Song.mp3", You should set the Playlist Path to "Music/Instrumental/" for it to be found.

Or if your folder structure is the same as in your device, you can just press "Assume playlist path" which automatically "guesses" the path to your songs based on where it is located locally.
I tried that; it doesn't work. If the music file is located anywhere other than the root directory, it just gives you a "music file missing" error when you select it from the playlist. Maybe it's the fact that I'm trying to get this to work off of the external sd cards, but I just can't get it to work. Also, the "Assume playlist path" button doesn't work when you import the songs from a Foobar2000 playlist; they just do not include the full file path, and your program gets confused.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,191 of 4,108
I tried that; it doesn't work. If the music file is located anywhere other than the root directory, it just gives you a "music file missing" error when you select it from the playlist. Maybe it's the fact that I'm trying to get this to work off of the external sd cards, but I just can't get it to work. Also, the "Assume playlist path" button doesn't work when you import the songs from a Foobar2000 playlist; they just do not include the full file path, and your program gets confused.

That's interesting... All my files could be found when I tested this whether they are in the internal or external sd. I assume you have already set the "Playlist Root" column to point to the correct location? (set it to "external_sd" if in sd card slot 1 or "external_sd2" if in the second slot)

And for the "Assume playlist path", yeah its a bit iffy at the moment.. I mostly added that in for myself since that's how my files are organized and I have never tried Foobar2000 playlist. Will probably fix that in a later version.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,192 of 4,108
That's interesting... All my files could be found when I tested this whether they are in the internal or external sd. I assume you have already set the "Playlist Root" column to point to the correct location? (set it to "external_sd" if in sd card slot 1 or "external_sd2" if in the second slot)

And for the "Assume playlist path", yeah its a bit iffy at the moment.. I mostly added that in for myself since that's how my files are organized and I have never tried Foobar2000 playlist. Will probably fix that in a later version.
Yep. I even created a folder called "Test" with a single music file inside, put said file in a playlist with your program with the playlist root set to "external_sd", and tried that on the card in the first slot. Wouldn't work. What format is your card using by the way? Because I'm using exFAT, and I was wondering if that could be affecting things.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,193 of 4,108
Yep. I even created a folder called "Test" with a single music file inside, put said file in a playlist with your program with the playlist root set to "external_sd", and tried that on the card in the first slot. Wouldn't work. What format is your card using by the way? Because I'm using exFAT, and I was wondering if that could be affecting things.

Not sure. Didn't bother to check since I use it on different devices and just tested it on the n5ii. I'll check on that when I get home. Can you PM me a copy of your playlist so I can have an idea on why this doesn't work for you?

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #1,194 of 4,108
Not sure. Didn't bother to check since I use it on different devices and just tested it on the n5ii. I'll check on that when I get home. Can you PM me a copy of your playlist so I can have an idea on why this doesn't work for you?
No need; I just took a second look at it, and apparently I made a mistake with my testing. I was testing with an Abba track with this file path "D:\Music Database\A - C\Abba\Greatest Hits Vol. 2" which I dragged into your program; this unfortunately meant that the playlist path was "Music Database/A - C/Abba/Greatest Hits Vol. 2/". Which presents a problem, because on my SD card I forewent the "Music Database" folder, and just put "A - C" directly in the root directory. This is slightly embarrassing, because it was all user error on my part and your program actually works now with no issue (which I had assumed it would not). Now I just have to figure out how to get my Foobar2000 playlists to work with your program, and I'll be good to go.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #1,195 of 4,108
No need; I just took a second look at it, and apparently I made a mistake with my testing. I was testing with an Abba track with this file path "D:\Music Database\A - C\Abba\Greatest Hits Vol. 2" which I dragged into your program; this unfortunately meant that the playlist path was "Music Database/A - C/Abba/Greatest Hits Vol. 2/". Which presents a problem, because on my SD card I forewent the "Music Database" folder, and just put "A - C" directly in the root directory. This is slightly embarrassing, because it was all user error on my part and your program actually works now with no issue (which I had assumed it would not). Now I just have to figure out how to get my Foobar2000 playlists to work with your program, and I'll be good to go.

Got it. I'll also be checking out how I can improve this program to play nice with other formats. Anyway, thanks for trying out my app and giving me feedback about it.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #1,196 of 4,108
Got it. I'll also be checking out how I can improve this program to play nice with other formats. Anyway, thanks for trying out my app and giving me feedback about it.
If I might make a suggestion? Add a button that directly copies the contents of the "local path" to the "playlist path". Assuming you have the same file structure on both your computer and your DAP (which can be controlled in a Foobar2000 playlist, based on what folder you save it to; for example, if I save it directly to drive "D", I get something that looks like "Music Database\S - U\Toad the Wet Sprocket\Coil\06 - Don't Fade.flac" in the playlist, whereas if I save to to the "Music Database" folder within drive "D", I get something that looks like "S - U\Toad the Wet Sprocket\Coil\06 - Don't Fade.flac", which is the same as what I have on my DAP), it should work. Also, it would be nice to be able to select and/or deselect groups of files at a time, instead of only having the option to either click the check-mark for each one, or selecting everything at once.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #1,197 of 4,108
If I might make a suggestion? Add a button that directly copies the contents of the "local path" to the "playlist path". Assuming you have the same file structure on both your computer and your DAP (which can be controlled in a Foobar2000 playlist, based on what folder you save it to; for example, if I save it directly to drive "D", I get something that looks like "Music Database\S - U\Toad the Wet Sprocket\Coil\06 - Don't Fade.flac" in the playlist, whereas if I save to to the "Music Database" folder within drive "D", I get something that looks like "S - U\Toad the Wet Sprocket\Coil\06 - Don't Fade.flac", which is the same as what I have on my DAP), it should work.
That's basically what the "assume playlist path" does (or what I hope it does...)
If your file structure is "F:\Music\Awesom music\MyMusic.flac", the "assume playlist path" would translate this to "Music/Awesom music/" as your playlist path.
It simply just removes the drive letter and file name and replaces "\" with "/" as is needed on Android devices. I see this is not "exactly" what you wanted but it's the closest thing you can do with this app right now.

Also, it would be nice to be able to select and/or deselect groups of files at a time, instead of only having the option to either click the check-mark for each one, or selecting everything at once.
Yeah, I should probably add that in. Right now dragging in the grid is mainly for organizing rows, which is already redundant since you could already do that by right clicking to move a row...

I appreciate your comments but I think we should continue any further discussion in a private chat to avoid clogging this thread which is mainly about discussing the Cayin n5ii.

Edit: Update v1.2 - Added compatibility for Foobar2000 playlist and relative local paths via the "Assume playlist path" option.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #1,198 of 4,108
That's basically what the "assume playlist path" does (or what I hope it does...)
If your file structure is "F:\Music\Awesom music\MyMusic.flac",
the "assume playlist path" would translate this to "Music/Awesom music/" as your playlist path.
It simply just removes the drive letter and file name and replaces "\" with "/" as is needed on Android devices. I see this is not "exactly" what you wanted to happen but it's the closest thing you can do with this app right now.
A Foobar2000 playlist doesn't store the drive letter, or anything above the folder you saved it to; it basically treats whatever folder you saved it to as the root directory, and omits it from what ends up under "local path". Here's a screenshot of what it looks like when I add a Foobar2000 playlist to your program:
VoJrlBG.jpg

Edit: sorry; I only just noticed that last bit about taking this into private chat, and can't figure out how to delete this post. Feel free to send a PM to continue this.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,199 of 4,108
If your file structure is "F:\Music\Awesom music\MyMusic.flac", the "assume playlist path" would translate this to "Music/Awesom music/" as your playlist path.
It simply just removes the drive letter and file name and replaces "\" with "/" as is needed on Android devices. I see this is not "exactly" what you wanted but it's the closest thing you can do with this app right now.

Yeah, I should probably add that in. Right now dragging in the grid is mainly for organizing rows, which is already redundant since you could already do that by right clicking to move a row...

I appreciate your comments but I think we should continue any further discussion in a private chat to avoid clogging this thread which is mainly about discussing the Cayin n5ii.

Edit: Update v1.2 - Added compatibility for Foobar2000 playlist and relative local paths via the "Assume playlist path" option.

I enjoy reading the dialogue, it might not related to N5ii directly, but it related to a particular feature that N5ii should improve on, and your program will definitely fill in a gap for us so I appreciate your effort and @Terthna 's interactive. In case two of you have decided to continue through PM, I sincerely looking forwards to the improved version of your program in N5ii thread again. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,200 of 4,108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back