Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #1,156 of 4,108
Hello, I have noticed on my n5ii after the latest update that whenever I play music on (cayin stock music player) then I turn off the screen on dedicated button, then suddenly the music pauses and i'll turn on the screen and the song I was playing already skipped/changed? It happens often.

happens to me too. a LOT. i turn the screen back on then i have to play it again. then its good.

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,157 of 4,108
I’m definitely not bored with mine, playing fast today again. Before that played slowed version which I did not capture
I have found solution to 2-3sec music playback once unit was waken up. I just turned off play where finished tab.

This is so strange, never run into something similar so far. I assume your "Adele 21" is standard 16Bit/44.kHz,
Haven't run into something like this so far, does it resume to normal after power off and on? or select another album and it'll still playing fast?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,158 of 4,108
I was trying to organize the contents of my SD card and I encountered something weird... when the n5 is connected to Win10 there are some directories missing from my SD1. its there on the n5 though. popped it out and plugged it to a card reader then windows was suddenly able to recognize it. missing directories were the first few and the last few when sorted in alphabetical order.

did resets on the n5. tried "repairing" the SD card on windows. still the same. music can be played. n5 detects it in directories. windows cannot in MTP mode. windows can detect it when mounted on a card reader.

might be a bug worth noting. SD card is a 64 gig with around 1.2 free.

Just to clarify, you can find the folders on USB mode when connect to a Win10 PC, but you can't find them at MTP mode? If that is the case, I'll check with our Engineer whether there is anything in our MTP mode implementation might have caused this "omission".

Can you check out the version number of your Windows 10 system? v1607 or v1703?

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,159 of 4,108
Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in to let everyone know that I've now had my n5ii for about a week now. Probably has only about 20 hours on it. I've been using it with the Audeze EL-8 Titanium via 3.5mm connector. It sounds great with Mid gain on the HPA. So, today, got a set of the EL-8 connectors from MoonAudio. Made myself a balance cable, 2.5mm, and man, granted I am using 26awg of silver plated copper in teflon, but WOW! really love he sound in balance out with the EL-8.

Loving my EL-8 and n5ii combo!

Not so happy with the EL-8 connectors I got from MoonAudio. The plastic housing is so cheap that when I was using a heat blower on the heat shrink, the plastic housing shrunk too!

More to come...as I plan to try the HD800 once the connectors get here. :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on the forum. I was thinking an Astell and Kern. Luckily I found this thread as i saved a bunch and loving the sound!

EL-8 has been our regular demo headphone for N5 balanced since 2015 and I have used it with N5ii as well. The EL8 series will sound dull when under-driven, bass will be overwhelmed and vocal will sound recessed, so they are not completely DAP friendly, but they works with our DAP fairly well. When I switch from 3.5mm to 2.5mm of N5 and N5ii with EL8, I notice an obvious improvement in density, among other "regular" improvements such as separation, soundstage and dynamic. I haven't try the EL-8 Titanium but if they are similar to the other EL8, then I bet you have a very good "transportable" setup.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,160 of 4,108
Just to clarify, you can find the folders on USB mode when connect to a Win10 PC, but you can't find them at MTP mode? If that is the case, I'll check with our Engineer whether there is anything in our MTP mode implementation might have caused this "omission".

Can you check out the version number of your Windows 10 system? v1607 or v1703?

says Windows 10 Home v1709. Havnt tried USB mode but just MTP mode. Folders are just not there when connected to USB in MTP mode. Files show in the n5 file browser though. Music can also be played. Its just that the folders seep to appear as not there when read by the PC. folders were all there when i popped out the SD and connected it to a card reader.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,161 of 4,108
Headfonics has published a thorough and comprehensive review on N5ii:

CAYIN N5II REVIEW by Headfonic

Marcus has spend a lot of effort to present the strength and limitation of N5ii and backed his observations with numbers and detail listening impression. This is a very detail reviews covers both functional and audio performance in detail, please check it out if you are interested in N5ii, you'll be well-informed. :beerchug:

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,162 of 4,108
Headfonics has published a thorough and comprehensive review on N5ii:

CAYIN N5II REVIEW by Headfonic

Marcus has spend a lot of effort to present the strength and limitation of N5ii and backed his observations with numbers and detail listening impression. This is a very detail reviews covers both functional and audio performance in detail, please check it out if you are interested in N5ii, you'll be well-informed. :beerchug:

That was an interesting read!

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,163 of 4,108
Can anyone interpret the little icons used to indicate the music file's resolution/quality on the N5ii?
(In TRACKS view: each song title is followed by a graphic. Some green circles, some grey, some read HR.)
What do these refer to?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,164 of 4,108
Can anyone interpret the little icons used to indicate the music file's resolution/quality on the N5ii?
(In TRACKS view: each song title is followed by a graphic. Some green circles, some grey, some read HR.)
What do these refer too?
Thanks!

same question. i have some 24 bit files not indicated as HR.

another suggestion: how about a "smart view" of all 24 bit and DSD albums like how sony does it with the a35 (not sure about other models) where theres a button that just shows high res albums.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,165 of 4,108
I own the N5ii for about two days now and so far I think I like it. It looks pretty good, feels great in the hand (gets a bit warm, though) and sounds fantastic (albeit I only own low-fi headphones, so take that with a grain of salt I guess).
Before I got the N5ii, I'd used the FiiO X1 Gen 1 for about two years. My first most reason for "stepping up my game" was to get a dual card DAP, because I'm fed up with running out of storage. Second card will arrive on the morrow, so I hope the experience will be satisfactory.

Though I'm overall pleased with my upgrade, I still have some gripes (version 2.1en).
Sometimes, my touch isn't registered or it just loads too slow so I end up pressing multiple times (That one could be on me, though - I also have this problem on smartphones to a degree).
The color scheme isn't the best. Especially the display of the total amount of tracks in the playlist is almost always unreadable because of the cover art not being black or white. I'm ok with the size of the font. Different color schemes would be appreciated (an option for user-generated schemes would be even better).
The pre-defined genres are a bit odd. "Rock" is apparently actually "Rock&Roll", "Classic" is "Classical" (which is fine by me as I have tagged my classical music like that) and "Blues" becomes "Blue" when you touch on it (which is an actual mistake I believe).

Well, but these are all nitpicks. My real issue is, that I'm missing songs, somehow?
I scan my card (Patriot 128GB Class 10), it says 9542 music tracks found. But ES File Explorer finds 10232 files. That also is the number of tracks my FiiO showed me. Thats a whooping ~500 tracks just missing. All my files are either mp3 or flac and a few (< 150) of those are provided by cue file, but I checked those - they're working. Has anyone else experienced this problem? With the amount of files, its really cumbersome to check which songs might be missing.

I would also love to see an option to disable the lock screen. It's really just an unnecessary additional swipe I have to do, as the lock screen only provides options that are already available via hardware buttons... and a clock, I guess.

Whew, that all came of more critically than I intended to, so I just have to repeat that I'm still satisfied with the N5ii. I read through the last chunk of pages in this thread and I'm glad that there is active support from Cayin to be found in here. Kudos!

I will share more of my feedback once I had the chance to try (almost) every feature.

TL;DR
So far (~2 days) a nice looking, fantastic sounding DAP with some interface problems, but great support. Also missing files, apparently.

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,166 of 4,108
What do these refer to?
Thanks!

That is the classification of music files based on parameters such as sampling rate and bit rate.
You can simply understand that gray represents lossy file, yellow is lossless file , HR is hi-res,DSD is DSD file.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,167 of 4,108
I have yeah, it is stuck in Balanced mode somehow (indicated by the BAL symbol in the status bar and the fact no sound comes out the 3.5mm) and toggling Audio priority mode on/off or plugging the 3.5mm jack in do not bypass this.

I have heard back from Advanced MP3 now and am returning the unit tomorrow for a replacement. Fingers crossed I am not without it for long. In the meantime I can have a trip down memory lane and use the N5 mk1 for a while, its a good thing I never got around to selling it.

Sorry for the late reply for I had two days off from office! I don't have headphone which I can use to test the stuck problem you refer now. But if the memory serves me well, I didn't have this issue when I connected a 2.5mm connector headphone to my N5ii that was borrowed from my colleague last time. When you receive the replacement, you can test it to see what happens. Any problems, please feel free to let me know!

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,168 of 4,108
I own the N5ii for about two days now and so far I think I like it. It looks pretty good, feels great in the hand (gets a bit warm, though) and sounds fantastic (albeit I only own low-fi headphones, so take that with a grain of salt I guess).
Before I got the N5ii, I'd used the FiiO X1 Gen 1 for about two years. My first most reason for "stepping up my game" was to get a dual card DAP, because I'm fed up with running out of storage. Second card will arrive on the morrow, so I hope the experience will be satisfactory.

Though I'm overall pleased with my upgrade, I still have some gripes (version 2.1en).
Sometimes, my touch isn't registered or it just loads too slow so I end up pressing multiple times (That one could be on me, though - I also have this problem on smartphones to a degree).
The color scheme isn't the best. Especially the display of the total amount of tracks in the playlist is almost always unreadable because of the cover art not being black or white. I'm ok with the size of the font. Different color schemes would be appreciated (an option for user-generated schemes would be even better).
The pre-defined genres are a bit odd. "Rock" is apparently actually "Rock&Roll", "Classic" is "Classical" (which is fine by me as I have tagged my classical music like that) and "Blues" becomes "Blue" when you touch on it (which is an actual mistake I believe).

Well, but these are all nitpicks. My real issue is, that I'm missing songs, somehow?
I scan my card (Patriot 128GB Class 10), it says 9542 music tracks found. But ES File Explorer finds 10232 files. That also is the number of tracks my FiiO showed me. Thats a whooping ~500 tracks just missing. All my files are either mp3 or flac and a few (< 150) of those are provided by cue file, but I checked those - they're working. Has anyone else experienced this problem? With the amount of files, its really cumbersome to check which songs might be missing.

I would also love to see an option to disable the lock screen. It's really just an unnecessary additional swipe I have to do, as the lock screen only provides options that are already available via hardware buttons... and a clock, I guess.

Whew, that all came of more critically than I intended to, so I just have to repeat that I'm still satisfied with the N5ii. I read through the last chunk of pages in this thread and I'm glad that there is active support from Cayin to be found in here. Kudos!

I will share more of my feedback once I had the chance to try (almost) every feature.

TL;DR
So far (~2 days) a nice looking, fantastic sounding DAP with some interface problems, but great support. Also missing files, apparently.

Have you switched off "skipped music file less than 500KB" and " skipped music file shorter than 60s" in scan settings? We will add an option that user can choose to activate or deactivate lock screen in the subsequent firmware. Appreciate your kind feedback!
upload_2018-1-29_11-39-56.png

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,169 of 4,108
I only own low-fi headphones
In order to do justice to your N5ii as well as to your ears, get yourself some good headphones. I don't know your preferences, whether full-size headphones or in-ear monitors, but there are many really good products out there at very decent prices. My rule of thumb is that in an audio chain the transducers should weigh 50% if not more more. Just my 2c.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,170 of 4,108
Have you switched off "skipped music file less than 500KB" and " skipped music file shorter than 60s" in scan settings? We will add an option that user can choose to activate or deactivate lock screen in the subsequent firmware. Appreciate your kind feedback!

Haha, many thanks! I never noticed the cog icon in the scan menu :sweat_smile:

In order to do justice to your N5ii as well as to your ears, get yourself some good headphones. I don't know your preferences, whether full-size headphones or in-ear monitors, but there are many really good products out there at very decent prices. My rule of thumb is that in an audio chain the transducers should weigh 50% if not more more. Just my 2c.

Well, step by step I guess. I mainly use Superlux headphones (669, 440, 387), some Philips (SHP9500, Fidelio M1) and a Takstar HI2050. I wouldn't consider these bad products, but I get where you're coming from: the sky has no limit (my wallet though on the other hand...). I will upgrade eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back