Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,201 of 4,108
I am getting a replacement from Advanced MP3 as we speak, balanced sunk in and no audio was coming out of anywhere.
I love this dap tho and will stick to it, analogue, smooth resolving sound and 2 sd cards, form factor and a great coax out to hugo 2 is a winner even if price was more,
just wondering if i should worry about built quality issues..

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,202 of 4,108
Terthna - I'm also starting to become very frustrated with the N5ii. After using it daily for two weeks and not having the random volume issue you mention: suddenly now on my unit the volume touch screen will just randomly pop up, on it's own, no touch of the volume thumb wheel. This I find very annoying. I have just performed a factory reset - I'll see if that helps. I also don't understand the missing YEAR & COMMENT tags: they are shown in foobar2000 on my PC. I also have experienced problems with the player not starting up on power button press. This tends to happen right after three N5ii has been unplugged from wall charger. I'm very concerned about this issue. I really like the sound of this player, but it certainly seems buggy.

Factory Data Reset seems to have solved the random volume screen pop-ups, along with unwanted volume changes.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,204 of 4,108
This is so strange, never run into something similar so far. I assume your "Adele 21" is standard 16Bit/44.kHz,
Haven't run into something like this so far, does it resume to normal after power off and on? or select another album and it'll still playing fast?
Hi.
Music is standard. When restarted it plays normally. It only happens when music is played wow coax out on cayins cable. Same applies to the glitch when screen flickers. Otherwise top player !!!!

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,205 of 4,108
I wonder....can somebody who actively using balanced output confirm that they don't have problems with it?

I’ve been using balanced for around a month now. No issues, plugging and unplugging multiple times per day due to storage when up from my desk. The fit is snug and secure for me.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,207 of 4,108
I enjoy reading the dialogue, it might not related to N5ii directly, but it related to a particular feature that N5ii should improve on, and your program will definitely fill in a gap for us so I appreciate your effort and @Terthna 's interactive. In case two of you have decided to continue through PM, I sincerely looking forwards to the improved version of your program in N5ii thread again. :beerchug:

Thank you for the support @Andykong . And yes, we did continue a bit in the chat. I sent @Terthna an update which adds in the feature he requested and he informed me that it worked for him when using Foobar2000 created playlists. I do have more planned for my program but I thought it would be nice to share it now so people who need the core features could use it right away.

The update I sent Terthna is the same as what I have linked in the edit of my previous post.
Edit: Update v1.2 - Added compatibility for Foobar2000 playlist and relative local paths via the "Assume playlist path" option.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,208 of 4,108
MP3 unfortunately,have yet to install external storage I do have a 200 gb card I will very soon be putting in though and I have firmware 2.1. Thanks

If so, can you send your music files to community@cayin.cn so that I can test it personally? Because I just tested my filles with N5ii and couldn't reproduce your issue.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,209 of 4,108
So far, the hardware's been great. No problems with the plastic port yet. This is my first experience with balanced 2.5mm and I'll admit I can see why some would prefer it if 4.4 became the new standard. The N5ii's port seems secure enough though. I think it helps that all my cables are fairly light and the plugs aren't overkill. My only issues are with software. Using the power button to turn off the screen stops the music a few seconds later and my SD1 card shows phantom duplicate folders when browsing the file directory. I do get worried about taking in and out of the stock silicone case to update my library. For whatever reason, USB drive mode with my iMac is unpredictable so I've been takong the micro SD cards out of the slots a lot lately.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,210 of 4,108
So far, the hardware's been great. No problems with the plastic port yet. This is my first experience with balanced 2.5mm and I'll admit I can see why some would prefer it if 4.4 became the new standard. The N5ii's port seems secure enough though. I think it helps that all my cables are fairly light and the plugs aren't overkill. My only issues are with software. Using the power button to turn off the screen stops the music a few seconds later and my SD1 card shows phantom duplicate folders when browsing the file directory. I do get worried about taking in and out of the stock silicone case to update my library. For whatever reason, USB drive mode with my iMac is unpredictable so I've been takong the micro SD cards out of the slots a lot lately.

That sounds like it might be a format issue. I had something like that happen with my Opus#2. I had to use the Opus to erase my SD card (i.e. format it), and then load it back up. Never saw the problem again after that.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,212 of 4,108
I can confirm you at least 3 got this problem, included me.

Just seen this on facebook... :astonished:

Otherwise this looks like solid player!

N5ii.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,214 of 4,108
I think I have a good idea what is happening on the balanced end. I just got my player last night and am enjoying it and I just plugged in one of my earphones in balanced to the balanced port and to be honest it is a bit stiff to plug in more so than any of my other players. The last little 2mm or so to get the entire plug into the female end is a bit too tight. I have to force the plug in there in order for the entire plug to seat flush.

I would suggest in future runs of the player to rethink the female plug of the N5ii for balanced. It is too late for people that bought theirs but too many times forcing the plug in and out and I can see how this part would break. And like others have said otherwise the player thus far is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back