Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jan 16, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #991 of 4,108
I use a 200gb SanDisk and it works well so far.

I’m using a couple of Samsung 256, but I tried also the sandisk 400gb and it work perfectly.

Thanks guys appreciate the help! This may have been answered previously, but I searched and couldn't find the answer: is it possible to select the external SD card for storage of offline music for Tidal?

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #992 of 4,108
is there a trick to make transfers to the SD card while in the DAP faster? On one of my windows machines its just at 350 kbps. Hell slow! This machine doesnt have a card reader so i would have to move files first from this one to another one just to load music.

Any ideas?

350kbps is very slow, can you tell us more information about your computer system and TF card? What about copying file to Internal memory? Will it speed up a bit?

You mentioned this is one of your window machines that has this problem, so what happen when you are using other machine? Will the writing speed increased significantly?

Maybe you can refer to our previous sharing on this subject:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-27#post-13919553

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #993 of 4,108
I do like the dual slot design on the N5II. On paper the R6 is hot stuff, but I am pretty pleased with the N5II.

I wonder how FIIO, Shanling, and Cayin feel about their vendor of firmware/software also being a competitor?

Can't speak for other brands, but Cayin and HiBy works together without any problem right now, we share our product development plan with each other (and to minimize competition), and we welcome HiBy's move. You can look at it from another perceptive: now that HiBy is in front line dealing with all sorts of problems related to DAP business, not just system software, they will learn a lot after they interact with users directly, improve their hardware and software continuously. Cayin certainly will be benefited by the improvement one way or the others, so we are optimistic that this will be a win-win arrangement eventually.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #994 of 4,108
I read the beginning of this thread and saw a comment about the coxial output having noise issues ... Is that still an issue (or am I totally wrong on this point)

The coaxial output from N5ii is clean and it covers DoP as well (only DSD64 due to bandwidth limitation of S/PDIF coaxial), in fact I meet quite a lot of users prefer Coaxial over USB Audio Out in general.

The USB Audio Out is still having some noise problem, we are working on this right now.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #995 of 4,108
That's one of the reasons I asked if anyone has tried transferring music from a USB otg flash drive yet, even if it is still slow you can do it on the go after you have left the house.
https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-connector-Android-Devices-SDDD2-064G-G46/dp/B00RBGYGPG

The one you quoted won't work with N5ii because it is a micro USB connector For Android Mobile Devices, you need a Type-C OTG flash drive to do that. Look for USB Dual Drive, SanDisk has something like this in their line up.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Drive-Type-C-SDDDC2-032G-G46/dp/B01EZ0X23W

Yes, N5ii works with Type-C dual drive, but please be reminded that OTG and TF card 1 and 2 shared the same data bus, so copying from OTG to TF card will be a bit slow.

I have also recommended a dual drive card reader previously, this will "kind of" adding a third TF card to N5ii:

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Connect...&sr=8-3&keywords=Type+C+TF+card+reader+USB3.1

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #996 of 4,108
Am i the only one experiencing card reading issues?
Every press of a button or scroll through library interrupts playback for seconds at a time till it finds it, its like having a slow pc trying to access data.
Shuffle is an issue, most times it would give up and go back to what was played first.
Very annoying, i must say, hope it will be addressed, but nevertheless this is my favourite dap by far..

Hi, it is indeed very strange. May I know what is your SD card format? Do you have another SD card to have a try? What is the current firmware of your N5ii? I just tried to reproduce the two issues you met, but definitely I failed. My N5ii didn't have any interrupts in playback when I pressed power button or scrolled through library. When I pressed previous/Next/Pause buttons, my N5ii will go to previous/ next songs andstop playback, behaving pretty normal. The SD card I used is TOSHIBA 64GB with FAT32 format.. Besides, How many songs in your playlist? mine has 10-15 songs and my N5ii with shuffle mode never want back to what was play first.

@soundblast75 one more question: the problem only happens on TF card playback? Can you copy the content of your TF card to Internal memory and test again? If the music can playback smoothly in internal memory but not the TF card, then the problem is likely a TF card compatible problem or the physical condition of the TF card (e.g., bad sectors).

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #997 of 4,108
Hi all
My first post here. I follow this thread since I’ve ordered the dap.
Owned it for 2or 3 weeks now. I must report I don not have some of the mentioned issues here.
Charging is fine, using Apple iPad charger 3.5 hrs time. Scanning very quick, two cards total storage 256 plus dap internal memory.
Using Mac 2.0 usb uploading took time but that’s down to port speed limit. 3.0 should be faster.
I had iBasso dx80 prior which I liked but it did not wired well in the car connected to my dsp. N5ii works flawlessly most of the time through coax cable. It has it flaws as once it plays music like faster than it should. Usb audio out as mentioned here does not work as it should, but coax is better anyway.
Also when dap was shut down once started and connected it will play last song for few seconds and that’s on coax and 3.5.
Other than above it’s a great unit.
Using it at home with monolith m1060 planar and can not complain about lack of power and i listen on mid gain as hi gain seems to bring noise.
Thanks

Thank you very much for your support to N5ii, Glad you like it and has a fairly positive experience so far.

You have mentioned "It has it flaws as once it plays music like faster than it should", I am not sure what exactly is the problem and how to resolve this for you. Do you mean the "pace" of playback is not correct? A 3 minute song will finished in 2min 50 sec when playback by N5ii? If this is what you have experienced, can you tell me more detail about the music files that you are using? Format (WAV, FLAC, ....), Bit rate, sampling frequency (e.g., 24bit/96kHz). etc.

If you are not familiar with the technical detail of your music file, maybe you can take a photo of the music property page in N5ii, just select the music file that play faster then normal and following the following steps to display music property:

20180117_130420.jpg

20180117_130438.jpg

20180117_130258.jpg

Last edited:

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #998 of 4,108
Just got my N5 a few days ago so Im still setting up my music.

Machines & SD Cards:
  • Machine 1 (No card reader): i5 8 gigs RAM HP Laptop, Win 10
  • Machine 2 (Has card reader)" Core M 8 gigs RAM Asus Laptop, Win 10
  • SD Card 1: Sandisk 64gig class 10 (n5 slot 1)
  • SD Card 2: Sandisk 128gig class 10 (n5 slot 2)

What I remember:
  • I copied files directly to SD card 1 via USB no issues. not that fast but speed was decent. This was on SD card slot 1 of the n5.
  • Copying files via SD card reader in Machine 2 was faster vs copying straight to SD card 1 on slot 1 of the N5

• Problems:
  • Now that my SD card 1 is full... trying to move stuff to SD card 2. Its just slow when directly on the n5 whether its machine 1 or 2. painfully slow like windows 10 saying 350 kbps. on both machines!
  • SD card 2 is fine when I move files to it from the SD card reader of Machine 2.
  • Note: Now im moving stuff from Machine 1 to Machine 2 using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge as a USB device since it has a 64 gig SD card on it. Need to move music from Machine 1 to 2 so I can use the SD card reader, Music is on Machine 1. Speed is fine too.

350kbps is very slow, can you tell us more information about your computer system and TF card? What about copying file to Internal memory? Will it speed up a bit?

You mentioned this is one of your window machines that has this problem, so what happen when you are using other machine? Will the writing speed increased significantly?

Maybe you can refer to our previous sharing on this subject:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-27#post-13919553

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #999 of 4,108
Hello @Andykong,

First off, my compliments to Cayin for the N5ii. I'm a neophyte to the whole audiophile scene and this is my first real DAP (coming from a Rockboxed iPod classic). It's truly exceptional without breaking the bank, and that deserves a round of applause.

My only question is whether or not you've noticed any sensitivity with the DAP pausing itself randomly with certain IEMs? Granted i'm using some low tier KZ-ATEs, but it'll pause if the jack isn't oriented in the right position and I move sometimes. It happens periodically, but only with those it seems. Maybe I just need to invest in some good IEMs, but I just figured i'd ask.

Aside from that though, i'm in love. For my first DAP, this is everything i've wanted and more. Cayin just got a new devotee, very well done.

Base on your description, I suspect the quality of the 3.5mm (or 2.5mm since you didn't mention specifically), not the IEM itself.

N5ii monitors the 2.5mm and 3.5mm connector, when you plug a connectors into them, N5ii will detect them and act correspondingly. The situation you described sounds like the N5ii has incorrectly detected the IEM connectors as "unplug" from the player when the jacked is oriented at a certain position. Try to borrow other IEM and test again, if the problem only occur in one particular IEM but not the others, then my speculation probably confirmed.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,001 of 4,108
Just got my N5 a few days ago so Im still setting up my music.

Machines & SD Cards:
  • Machine 1 (No card reader): i5 8 gigs RAM HP Laptop, Win 10
  • Machine 2 (Has card reader)" Core M 8 gigs RAM Asus Laptop, Win 10
  • SD Card 1: Sandisk 64gig class 10 (n5 slot 1)
  • SD Card 2: Sandisk 128gig class 10 (n5 slot 2)

What I remember:
  • I copied files directly to SD card 1 via USB no issues. not that fast but speed was decent. This was on SD card slot 1 of the n5.
  • Copying files via SD card reader in Machine 2 was faster vs copying straight to SD card 1 on slot 1 of the N5

• Problems:
  • Now that my SD card 1 is full... trying to move stuff to SD card 2. Its just slow when directly on the n5 whether its machine 1 or 2. painfully slow like windows 10 saying 350 kbps. on both machines!
  • SD card 2 is fine when I move files to it from the SD card reader of Machine 2.
  • Note: Now im moving stuff from Machine 1 to Machine 2 using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge as a USB device since it has a 64 gig SD card on it. Need to move music from Machine 1 to 2 so I can use the SD card reader, Music is on Machine 1. Speed is fine too.

Regarding your problem: Its just slow when directly on the n5 whether its machine 1 or 2. painfully slow like windows 10 saying 350 kbps. on both machines!

I actually have encountered similar problem when backup my computer with a 2TB 2.5" portable HDD. The data transfer just dropped to a really horrible slow rate suddenly. My advice is stop the copying, eject the USB storage (N5ii in this case) from your computer, disconnect USB connection, connect again and let the computer detect the USB storage again.

If you set the USB mode to MTP mode, will that make any different?

Another quick option is to stop the copying, eject card 1 from N5ii, and start copying to card 2 again. TF card, TF card 2 and OTG USB-C of N5ii are sharing the same data bus, they are not connected to MCU directly but merged into a bus controller chip which work as a relay (or 3 way switcher in layman terms). MCU will only handle one of these three storage device at a time and leave the switching task to the bus controller. In normal read/write task, the bus controller should takes cares of everything and the waiting and swtiching are transparent to users, but there are times when the bus controller goes into a dead lock because of extensive read/write/switching at the same time, The quick way out is to "interrupt" the bus controller and start all over again. This is actually a generic problem, not just specific to N5ii.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #1,002 of 4,108
Are you saying that when I copy it's optimal to just have 1 SD card in the device? Come to think about it only SD slot 1 had a card when I filled up my card and the speed was pretty good.

Just tried a direct copy again just now. 9 hours for 6 gigs worth of music. LOL. Ejected it and placed it in the card reader.

Regarding your problem: Its just slow when directly on the n5 whether its machine 1 or 2. painfully slow like windows 10 saying 350 kbps. on both machines!

I actually have encountered similar problem when backup my computer with a 2TB 2.5" portable HDD. The data transfer just dropped to a really horrible slow rate suddenly. My advice is stop the copying, eject the USB storage (N5ii in this case) from your computer, disconnect USB connection, connect again and let the computer detect the USB storage again.

If you set the USB mode to MTP mode, will that make any different?

Another quick option is to stop the copying, eject card 1 from N5ii, and start copying to card 2 again. TF card, TF card 2 and OTG USB-C of N5ii are sharing the same data bus, they are not connected to MCU directly but merged into a bus controller chip which work as a relay (or 3 way switcher in layman terms). MCU will only handle one of these three storage device at a time and leave the switching task to the bus controller. In normal read/write task, the bus controller should takes cares of everything and the waiting and swtiching are transparent to users, but there are times when the bus controller goes into a dead lock because of extensive read/write/switching at the same time, The quick way out is to "interrupt" the bus controller and start all over again. This is actually a generic problem, not just specific to N5ii.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,003 of 4,108
how do you unmount SD cards from the N5?

If N5ii is not connected to any any USB device or computer, press and hold the Play/pause key on the side panel until the N5ii stop all operation and return back to the main screen, you can eject the TF card at this point.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,004 of 4,108
Are you saying that when I copy it's optimal to just have 1 SD card in the device? Come to think about it only SD slot 1 had a card when I filled up my card and the speed was pretty good.

Just tried a direct copy again just now. 9 hours for 6 gigs worth of music. LOL. Ejected it and placed it in the card reader.

I think the problem happens when your computer is accessing TWO TF cards concurrently. You assumed Card 1 is fulled and therefore switch to Card 2, so there shouldn't be any activities with Card 2, but that might not be the case, for some unknown reason (to me), Microsoft will not release the card 1 even after the disk operation is completed. I suppose we all have experienced that when we try to rename a file or something, Microsoft refused your request by saying the file is occupied by other application. You checked Task Manager and there is nothing going on, but you just can't do anything about it when Windows hold on the file for some reason.

9 hours for 6 gigs worth of music is very slow, but let it copy for 2-3 minutes first, the estimation might change a lot after that.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,005 of 4,108
how do you unmount SD cards from the N5?

I just get help from my Engineer, Under Storage menu of System Setting, you can unmount your TF card. Please refer to the following screen:
20180117_152753.jpg

20180117_152800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back