Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #631 of 4,108

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #632 of 4,108
So I got my n5 2 a around the start of this month but haven't gotten the time to use it.

I was putting music on today. I left home downloading music through spotify today and came back home after about an hour and a half to find that battery had dropped from 97% to 60% in 90 minutes of spotify downloads. Is the normal ?

I am quite worried reading all the issues with the dap as I quite literally had to fly to a different country to get it. Its really hard being an audiophile in Asia.

I don't have this Cayin dap so can't comment specific on this. But generally when you download like this your dap or smartphone works overtime and uses a lot of power. So it doesn't seem unusual to me, I have seen similar patterns with both daps and smartphones. Another thing, you write that you haven't used the dap. To get the best out of the battery in the long run, let it go down to 10-20 % and then recharge full. Do this the first 3-4 times you charge it. In my experience this gives the best battery life.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #633 of 4,108
So I got my n5 2 a around the start of this month but haven't gotten the time to use it.

I was putting music on today. I left home downloading music through spotify today and came back home after about an hour and a half to find that battery had dropped from 97% to 60% in 90 minutes of spotify downloads. Is the normal ?

I am quite worried reading all the issues with the dap as I quite literally had to fly to a different country to get it. Its really hard being an audiophile in Asia.

Non-stop Online usage can drain battery, and it depends on the quality of WiFi connection, weak connection tends to drain more battery.

If you haven't been use the DAP very much, it is quite possible that the battery is still in the early stage of running in, in my experience, battery efficiency will kind of stable after roughly 5 charging cycles. In addition, if you haven't upgrade your firmware, please do that, V2.1EN announced on 26th December will extend your battery duration because we have optimised the system and eliminated some components that are no related to music playback.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #634 of 4,108
Can the unit technically be opened up and the battery be replaced by the user without needing to solder anything? I know this typically voids warranty, but I'm thinking more down the line and longevity. After using the device for a couple years a battery swap will probably be in order as the battery will be weakening and warranty will be long over.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #635 of 4,108
I have three daps that i'm looking at, this one, the fiio x5iii and the onkyo dp-s1, i like the looks & specs of the n5ii, but the battery issue which
hung031086 is having, has me balking a bit, but i do really like the form factor of the n5ii. anyone else having issues with the battery not charging properly?

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #637 of 4,108
Interesting question about power draw while downloading. Most of my devices draw more power doing downloads than just playing off memory. But one cool feature of this device is the WiFi and android which hopefully does not draw down meaningfully more power. I see myself playing amazon music and Sirius Xm and using Synology ds audio with the unit. Can other owners pipe in on this?

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #638 of 4,108
I have three daps that i'm looking at, this one, the fiio x5iii and the onkyo dp-s1, i like the looks & specs of the n5ii, but the battery issue which
hung031086 is having, has me balking a bit, but i do really like the form factor of the n5ii. anyone else having issues with the battery not charging properly?

No issues here. I have been using it since I got it about 2 weeks ago. I get the stated playback time when listening single ended with red book flac files. Really enjoying it. I’ve also been following these forums and only see him with the issue, correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #640 of 4,108

There is always a risk with any electronic device (I think typical standards in the tech industry as a whole is around 5%. Whether it's a niche product like this or the latest iPhone.). Musicteck seems to have a good return policy if you have issues (Musicteck also sells them through Amazon with prime shipping if you want further protection).

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #642 of 4,108

I have a preproduction and a production unit and both have perfect hardware, and certainly no battery issues.

And as far as sound and build, I like the N5II significantly more than the X5iii. But I haven't heard the Onkyo.

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #643 of 4,108
No strange battery issues, nor any issues with the 2.5mm balanced connector (as he knocks on wood...)

Finally managed to get 2.1 installed. Updating from external SD didn’t work, but updating internally did. Really it’s just best to avoid the use of SD cards when in recovery mode and load the firmware onto the internal storage. All in all, I’m appreciating the zippier interface and fewer crashes. My device still randomly pauses on its own occasionally and has a blank screen when being woken up by the power button after a track ends, but otherwise it’s a big improvement. Thanks for quick turnaround!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #644 of 4,108
I have a preproduction and a production unit and both have perfect hardware, and certainly no battery issues.

And as far as sound and build, I like the N5II significantly more than the X5iii. But I haven't heard the Onkyo.
I'm really leaning towards the N5ii, the fiio is not without it's own problems, bugs are to be expected and squashed at some point, my dx80 is on it's last leg as the battery does not last very long, and an upgrade from fiio x5ii is needed as it gets a bit cumbersome with the scroll wheel. Touch screen is more my style,

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #645 of 4,108

Mine exhibited the same problem on its second charge but seemed to resolve its self with a different cable and powering on first and then charging via a wall charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back