Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Feb 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,541 of 4,108
Well, that only fixed one issue with the socket. The other issue is that it becomes loose over time. I've had mine for around nine months, and it's already significantly more loose than originally, and it's getting looser and looser. My previous DAP failed due to to the same reason, so I foolishly assumed the much more expensive Cayin would have a more robust socket. It doesn't.
Well, I've never had the sockets loosen up noticeably on me so I can't comment on that. But given its nature it sort of inevitable.

If that happens to me I'd just get replacement sockets online and resolder them myself.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,545 of 4,108
Hi - can anyone confirm that the N5ii will be able access my Western Digital NAS by DLNA, either out of the box or by installing an app such as foobar or media monkey on the player?

Somebody in the forum did have problems, but Andy answered with a PM. Streaming from my NAS is an important feature for me and I have so far been unable to find a definitive answer for either the Fiio M9 (where installing the apps mentioned is not possible) or the N5ii (my preferred DAP).

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #3,546 of 4,108
Its been a while but I recall scrolling to the network on the top bar and having no problems streaming from my Synology NAS. I had to put in my network credentials but that is because my NAS is password protected. Just used the regular SMB; no need for DLNA.

If I recall it worked best with regular 16-44 FLAC; worked pretty well with 24-88 files but was iffy with higher res or DSD. But that might have been a function of my network.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #3,547 of 4,108
Many thanks for the detailed response - that’s very reassuring. I’ve just read the manual which is clear in that streaming from a local server is supported, but what the manual says and what happens in real life do not always coincide!
most of my files are 24 96, but they stream to my phone with no problem - my WiFi signal is pretty strong.

Feb 10, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #3,548 of 4,108
How would you compare this to fiio x5III or x7? I am looking for a DAP for a new bought pair of SE535s and these are the ones that caught my eye.
It's far better than the X5iii, and about the same level as the x7 though the X7ii is a little better than the N5ii.

Another option you may want to consider is the iBasso DX120 which is on par with the N5ii. The DX120 is slightly more detailed sounding overall while the N5ii has better dynamics with better bass control.

The DX150 is also an option if you need android but it doesn't sound as good as the N5ii in its stock configuration. You'll need to upgrade to the AMP 8 module to beat the N5ii.

Every dap in the FiiO M series falls behind the N5ii. The Hiby R6 also loses against the N5ii.

I haven't heard the Shanling M5s yet so I can't comment on that.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #3,549 of 4,108
It's far better than the X5iii, and about the same level as the x7 though the X7ii is a little better than the N5ii.

Another option you may want to consider is the iBasso DX120 which is on par with the N5ii. The DX120 is slightly more detailed sounding overall while the N5ii has better dynamics with better bass control.

The DX150 is also an option if you need android but it doesn't sound as good as the N5ii in its stock configuration. You'll need to upgrade to the AMP 8 module to beat the N5ii.

Every dap in the FiiO M series falls behind the N5ii. The Hiby R6 also loses against the N5ii.

I haven't heard the Shanling M5s yet so I can't comment on that.

Really? I thought Hiby R6 was much better than this.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #3,550 of 4,108
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #3,551 of 4,108
Really? I thought Hiby R6 was much better than this.
UI wise, most definitely. It's the smoothest and fastest android player I've ever used.

Sound wise, it's good but not great imo. Depends on what type of sound you want. I like a more dynamic sounding source. Which is one of the main reasons I use a dap instead of just using my smartphone.

I expected better from the R6 too initially.
20180721_124535.jpg

Looks nice, feels great (a bit on the heavier side tho) but sounds.... ok.

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #3,552 of 4,108
Well, I dont really understand all the technical jargon (bright, dark, V shape U shape, etc...) on top of that audio is quite subjective I suppose. I think to me what I expect from good IEM is that I can hear details otherwise I couldn't and clearly identify all the instruments and voices, with not a too loud bass. But that again, it is hard to form an opinion just reading:weary:.

I was thinking, as I need to reitre my phone due to cracked screen and terrible battery, just go with a V30 or g7, and then start buying 2nd hand DAPs, to test them against it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #3,553 of 4,108
Well, I dont really understand all the technical jargon (bright, dark, V shape U shape, etc...) on top of that audio is quite subjective I suppose. I think to me what I expect from good IEM is that I can hear details otherwise I couldn't and clearly identify all the instruments and voices, with not a too loud bass. But that again, it is hard to form an opinion just reading:weary:.

I was thinking, as I need to reitre my phone due to cracked screen and terrible battery, just go with a V30 or g7, and then start buying 2nd hand DAPs, to test them against it.
In this case I would start with V30. You will have to download Neitron or UAPP to play music correctly on it. There is a V30 thread.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,554 of 4,108
What iems are you using currently? Getting a good pair of IEMs may prove to be a much greater upgrade than getting a dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back