1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by PinkyPowers, Oct 14, 2017.
First

Back
229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
Next

Last
  1. thedud3
    thanks for your answer, the beast finally boot up without reset as i wrote above :)

thanks also for explaining the difference between both wipe options, i feel a bit less stupid now :wink:

last remark, the boot sequence was definitely during more than 30s when i wrote my post (which made me worried as i know it's quite fast usually, meaning less than 1 min). but this morning it was still freezed at the 'Never be the same again' message after 2/3 minutes.

i have no idea of what happened nor what fixed it though.

2. Gerryhatrick
    Hi all - posted this technical query in technical support forum also, so apologies for the double post......

I hope someone can help me solve this really weird problem with my recently purchased used N5iiS.

After switching on if I plug in either of my 2 balanced 'phones, sound is fine R and L but turning the volume wheel has no effect on volume, and volume meter does not appear on screen.

If I unplug and plug in my SE 'phones all is well, volume control works as it should.

If I unplug SE phones and plug in my balanced 'phones again, volume control now works!!

The problem appears to lie with the 2.5mm balanced socket, which is mysteriously solved by plugging in singe ended 'phones into the 3.5mm socket.

Annoying, but not a deal breaker at the moment. I am concerned it may be a symptom of something more serious.

Help or advice gratefully received!

Update - whilst happily listening in balanced mode, a few tracks in and volume control disappeared again. Reboot brought the function back, but a couple of tracks later lost volume control again.
    Definitely a fault, but need to confirm it happens with prolonged listening in SE.

Is my experience been reported before?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. NicholasS
    After several months of using N5ii I have a new issue with balanced output: depending on a position of earphones plug the sound from L channel disappears. If I move the plug left/right, push it a little — everything comes to normal... for a while. The DAP doesn't stop to "surprise" me over and over again... it's really amazing how 2 sides of the same device for this price — fine SQ & ugly UX/performance — are combined together.

4. CayinSupport
    Could you please try to do the 'wipe cache partition' and 'wipe data/factory reset'?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
  5. Rockwell75
    Can anyone comment on the quality of the EQ on the N5iiS?

6. seanwee
    Not sure how to quantify the quality of the EQ but it works as expected.

7. fokta
    DSD 256 works like a charm...

cant MQA, UAPP not working properly (can not read song file from SDCard) ... but still consider very good DAP...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  8. Imbrie
    So, I have just received a replacement N5IIS as my previous unit developed the fault where it would not turn on. Unfortunately, the replacement arrived with a line of dead pixels at the centre of screen - the first unit I had also had dead pixels - and now that I am onto my third faulty unit, I have no option but to return it and request a refund. There are obviously numerous issues with this product and it never really should have been released to market. Admittedly sounds fantastic but it is simply not fit for purpose. Safe to say that I will never purchase a Cayin product again in the future.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  9. seanwee
    Seems like the dying charging IC problem persists on the N5iiS :/

The first N5iiS demo unit at my local audio store also had dead pixels. Maybe poor shipping process?

10. CongoFather
    I sold my player about 4 months ago and bought DX200 after that. There is a day&night difference between them. I accept that there is a significant price difference but it is really worth that. N5ii sounds good for that price range but I think the hardware architecture is a big failure. It tries to offer functionalities much more than its hardware limits. Therefore, it couldn't meet the customer expectations in my opinion. There is always a probability of a different hardware failure or a software bug. And when they are not solved in a short time, it becomes more annoying for customers by time. I finally found the solution by selling it and buying another DAP instead of trying to fix or wait for the bug fixes. As far as I follow, N8 is a big success on the contrary. Therefore, it is difficult for me to say "I will never ever buy Cayin products again" because I will probably buy N8 in the following year and wll try some other products in the near future. But I will certainly be more careful than ever when I think of buying mid-fi, entrance level DAPs/products from Cayin.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  11. seanwee
    Well, they can't possibly afford to screw up on their TOTL offering considering the competition. I most likely won't be getting the N8 unless I win the lottery in any case :p

I also tried the DX200 but didn't like the fact it only had 1 msd slot. That and it doesnt like the way I organise my files. The further i go into a directory, the slower it gets. It's unnoticeable 4-6 folders in but it gets noticeably laggy after that.

Anyways, personally I'm waiting to see what Cayin brings to their N6ii.

12. CongoFather
    I use DX200 with 200GB msd which is enough for my daily listening. But as far as I know it also supports 400GB msd and probably the new 1TB msd.. It currently supports Android 8.1 Oreo. The UI and navigation is fast and you feel like you are using a mobile phone.
    But I did not need to create hierarchical directories with high depth. Lastly, I also think that Cayin N6ii will meet the expectations like N8 does. But, in my opinion, this won't change the fact that N5ii was a failure..

originalsnuffy likes this.
  13. upsguys88
    Honestly I had an ak120 for the longest time and love it, but the ability for balanced and offline tidal downloading, all in all this is a great dap I got for trading a pair of totl earbuds :) very happy.

14. originalsnuffy
    Unfortunately as much as I like the sound of the N5II the fact that support is effectively over after only one year does not sit well with me. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to purchase from Cayin again unless they put out an amazing final firmware release for this unit that clears up most of the outstanding bugs.

15. maira
    Is there a release date for it?

First

Back
229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
Next

Last