Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,891 of 4,108
my quick press of the power button turns the screen on and off like it should - that should not be happening with yours I don't think. I also have not had too many instances of instability - I've had issues of it freezing when using Spotify or other third party apps, but I mostly use it in audio priority mode, and it's been working fine. Also I pause playback before changing any settings.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,893 of 4,108
Hello.
Bought the N5ii a week ago and updated it straight with 3.1 firmware.
Lovely DAP with very nice sound and build quality, but the instability is starting to drive me crazy.
Like with many other people, mine just stops playing quite often.
Sometimes it happens when I scroll through albums while playing, other times when I select another track, other times when I select Audio Priority while playing.
But other times it also stops without any reason at all, without even touching it. Is it going to be fixed for sure with the so awaited new firmware?

Another thing that happens with mine is when I power it off the backlight of the screen remains lit. I have to long press the power button to force it to really shut down.
Is this happening to anyone else?

It’s a shame but if these bugs continue or if new ones arise, I’m seriously considering returning it.
Even if I really like it otherwise.

Hi karlus, really sorry for the trouble caused! Did N5ii stop with third App or the native player? What is the format of your SD card? How many cards inserted in your N5ii? Could you please copy your music files from your SD card to N5ii local storage and only play them with the native player to see what happen?Maybe you can perform a double wipe to have a try:
upload_2018-3-28_10-51-42.png

I haven't received any similar feedback with your power button before. Mine N5ii power button has been working perfectly so far. I would like to know if other users have the same problem or not?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,894 of 4,108
Hi @CayinSupport . I have had the player since December and the recent upgrades have improved it a lot, However I am having a huge problem with listening on Bluetooth headphones (Bose QC35s). The sound drops every few seconds. It is worse, almost unusebale outdoors but slightly better indoors. Wired is also absolutely fine, but as soon as I switch to Bluetooth, the problem starts. Have used same headphones with music via bluetooth from my phone without any problems. Is this a known issues or a defective device? Purchased from AdvancedMP3 players.

Hi, we have tested QC35 before and found it could work with our product. But we don't have a Bluetooth Bose QC35s headphone so I cannot test it personally for you now. What is the gain of your Bose QC35s headphone? The unstable signal may have something to do with its gain.

Last edited:

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,895 of 4,108
Just bought this DAP out of curiosity to replace my X5III, and must say I find it a bit superior in SQ with more detailed and brighter sound. Was unpleasantly surprised with the flaws though, like random playback interruptions and static noise in the DAС mode. Fiio had it's own flaws but these... This looks a bit disrespectful towards buyers to put for sale such an unfinished product with flaws like these, imo. Hopefully these get fixed in the upcoming firmware. Also I wasn't able to download music in Google Music, it always stops. I was really hoping for stable Google Music operation, unlike X5III, when I couldn't download more than approx. 800 mb of music. Is it the case for everybody?

And a quick question to @CayinSupport, do you recommend burning in N5II? Thank you!

Hi, may I know how far is your N5ii and router? Is your phone downloading working ok with your router? Maybe you can bring your N5ii near the router and try again. I just tried downloading Spotify on my N5ii and it turned out work on my side.
upload_2018-3-28_11-29-9.png

I didn't do any burning before. But if you like, you can do that. I think it is up to you.

Last edited:

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,896 of 4,108
Hi, may I know how far is your N5ii and router? Is your phone downloading working ok with your router? Maybe you can bring your N5ii near the router and try again. I just tried downloading Spotify on my N5ii and it turned out work on my side.
I didn't do any burning before. But if you like, you can do that. I think it is up to you.
Hi @CayinSupport, yes my phone downloads without problems in any spot of my place. Perhaps N5II needs to be closer to the router, I will test that later. At the end of the day, I was able to download one album in Google music after a long series of stops and manual starts, which was a pain. I can't even think about downloading a queue of albums.

And regarding the burning-in, do you think it's justified technically?

UPDATE: Sitting 1.5 m away from my router and downloading went almost smoothly, only interrupted once when downloading a queue of albums.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #1,897 of 4,108
@CayinSupport, in a future firmware update would it be possible to open a third party app such as Spotify, listen in offline mode to downloaded songs and then activate audio priority mode?

Currently if you do this it closes the app. Battery drain appears to be higher even if not connected to WiFi.

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #1,898 of 4,108
Hi @CayinSupport
All the freezing/instability with my N5ii is when I use the native player (I don’t have 3rd party apps installed) to play mainly flac files on a 256gb Toshiba class10 sd card (fat32).
But it also happens with some tracks I put on the internal storage.

As for the backlight thing, not seeing other people mentioning it is what caught my attention.
Could I have a bug that no one else has or has noticed yet?
The quick press works fine to put the dap to sleep while playing and in that case the screen is really off.
It’s when I long press and select power off from the menu that the problem happens.
The dap shuts down normally but the backlight doesn’t. Even if the screen is black I can clearly see that the light behind it is still lit.

I’ll try the double wipe to see if it helps

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,899 of 4,108
Hi, we have tested QC35 before and found it could work with our product. But we don't have a Bluetooth Bose QC35s headphone so I cannot test it personally for you now. What is the gain of your Bose QC35s headphone? The unstable signal may have something to do with its gain.

FWIW I've given up using the bluetooth function as it does not work well with various in-ear bluetooth earphones. If the player is right in front of me and I don't turn my head to block the signal, it works OK.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,900 of 4,108
Hi. I am not sure what the gain of the QC35ii's are - it doesn't say anywhere. However my experience is similar to the post form RASeymour above as whenever I move my head with the earphones on and the player isn't directly in front of me - ie in a pocket etc, the sound cuts out. More noticeable outside. This is quite disappointing if it can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,901 of 4,108
I'm surprised there aren't any settings for Bluetooth. I expected there to be 3 settings, sound quality priority, connection priority and an auto setting.

But maybe that's just sony Walkmans having a lot of options

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,903 of 4,108
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,904 of 4,108
No Fiio X5iii comparison?

Personally I'd like to see a DX200 comparison as it seems like a solid upgrade choice from the N5ii

I do not have X5-3, so I was not able to really take a comparison with it :)

I did test them with a friend, but only for a few songs, back then, X5-3 was the type of really laid-back and relaxed DAP, N5ii would be more revealing due to its energetic nature.

I started writing a DX200 comparison, but it ended up being too much of a difference in price (since it is more expensive even than X7mkii when you factor extra AMP modules, like AMP5), but I agree, DX200 is a very very solid upgrade at almost twice the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back