Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,876 of 4,108
I tried transferring my test tracks folder (1.7gb)over from mSD 1 to mSD 2. It was slow but went without a hitch.

Mind you this is even when the mSD 2 has always shown that it needs repairing every time I connect to Windows (even since a year ago, before I got the N5ii)

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,877 of 4,108
Ive had issues with USB mode to transfer flacs from Macbook Pro to sdcards within N5ii - seems to end up either going mega slow, or just stalling completely. A workaround which seems to work for me is to switch from USB mode to MTP mode, and use something like Android File Transfer on my mac. No slowdown or stalling issues.
I'm using Windows 10 and i can only use USB mode. MTP mode shows only 1 folder (I have 7) in root so I can't copy to the folder I want.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,878 of 4,108
Yesterday some test with Tidal (firmware 3.1EN).
The player was extremely unstable: at the first launch of the app the system crashed and reboot itself.
The second time playing stopped after few seconds: after touch "Play" the system crashed again and reboot itself.
The third time I was able to play an album (with a very high battery consumption!).

I hope that the next firmware can fix this instability.
I also hope that Tidal will gives the support to Cayin to be able to select also an external microsd for downloading the offline tracks.

Do you have similar issue with another APPs? How far was between the N5ii and your router when it crashed? Could you please reinstall Tidal to see what happens? What is the version of your current Tidal?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #1,879 of 4,108
A very good chance that we'll have a new firmware by end of March, but I am not sure sure about the USB Audio features right now. The problem involve low-level programming and Cayin is working with HiBy to resolve the problem. Since it goes out of the our in-house R&D department, I can't keep track of the technical progress,

Looking forward to the new firmware!

Are there any plans to implement a replay gain feature? It is useful when listening to tracks on random from diffferent albums. They will all have different sound levels, so you have to continually adjust the volume.

Implementing this would be great. I see the N3 has it.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,880 of 4,108
Hello. Are there any plans to implement a replay gain feature? It is useful when listening to tracks on random from diffferent albums. They will all have different sound levels, so you have to continually adjust the volume.

Implementing this would be great. I see the N3 has it.
Currently, we don't have this plan.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,881 of 4,108
Hi everyone, can I use Cayin N5ii as DAC for iPhone ? :). Thanks :)

The USB Audio out of Android phones has many differences between each other,so we cannot 100%guarrante that our N5ii can work with your phone. This is the reason why we officailly decalre that N5ii DAC cannot support Android.
N5ii can't connect to iOS devices directly, you need a CCK and Apple endorsement in order to claim iOS suppport

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,882 of 4,108
Recently I added more files to my N5ii library. Around 4-5 albums, all in lossless formats.

And there goes the legendary bug: random freeze and restarting.
It was never happen before I added this files.

Now I can confidently saying, it is definitely the file management issue.
This firmware needs big improvement on processing file. I thought it might be related to too much background processes beyond this device's hardware capacity.

Hi, damaged files or too small files( less than 500k) mas cause the product freeze and restart.Maybe you can check out your files again.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,884 of 4,108
With regard to adding files and then having problems, here is something that sometimes helps. On my unit it is really easy to corrupt the "file system" on individual memory cards. With Windows 10, I periodically run chkdsk. There is also a program called DiskFresh that I have used for similar reasons.

Transferring files to and from this unit is a buggy process right now. I am not entirely sure that Cayin intends to address it.

Last time I brought up the USB issues Cayin simply pointed me to a section in this long thread about USB issues. The long discussion left me with the impression that the USB subsystem was not particularly well implemented in the hardware design.

I still think some software tweaks can subdue most of the problems.

I have been left with the impression that Cayin is not even trying to fix the USB transfer issues which is a problem in its own right. Maybe Cayin can pipe in and set the record straight.

Really sorry for the trouble caused! I actually have already gave the feedback to our senior engineer before. But to solve a bug, we may put a amount effort and resource to bring the root to surface. Please give us some time and wait patiently. Thanks advance for your understanding!

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,885 of 4,108
Really sorry for the trouble caused! I actually have already gave the feedback to our senior engineer before. But to solve a bug, we may put a amount effort and resource to bring the root to surface. Please give us some time and wait patiently. Thanks advance for your understanding!

Glad to hear that engineering is aware of these issues. Thank you.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,886 of 4,108
Just bought this DAP out of curiosity to replace my X5III, and must say I find it a bit superior in SQ with more detailed and brighter sound. Was unpleasantly surprised with the flaws though, like random playback interruptions and static noise in the DAС mode. Fiio had it's own flaws but these... This looks a bit disrespectful towards buyers to put for sale such an unfinished product with flaws like these, imo. Hopefully these get fixed in the upcoming firmware. Also I wasn't able to download music in Google Music, it always stops. I was really hoping for stable Google Music operation, unlike X5III, when I couldn't download more than approx. 800 mb of music. Is it the case for everybody?

And a quick question to @CayinSupport, do you recommend burning in N5II? Thank you!

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,887 of 4,108
I didn't really do any burn-in but I did notice a slight increase in dynamics when i re-listened to an album I have not listened to since I first got the N5ii. (could be brain burn-in though Xp )

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,888 of 4,108
Hi @CayinSupport . I have had the player since December and the recent upgrades have improved it a lot, However I am having a huge problem with listening on Bluetooth headphones (Bose QC35s). The sound drops every few seconds. It is worse, almost unusebale outdoors but slightly better indoors. Wired is also absolutely fine, but as soon as I switch to Bluetooth, the problem starts. Have used same headphones with music via bluetooth from my phone without any problems. Is this a known issues or a defective device? Purchased from AdvancedMP3 players.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,889 of 4,108
Tried out the AK70ii’s just now. It sounded like the Opus 1 metal edition imo. Compared to the Cayin N5ii it was quite close. I liked the faster transients and slightly more transparent sound of the N5ii. Soundstage wise they are more or less equal but the N5ii has a clearer soundstage due to a cleaner articulation of the sound.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,890 of 4,108
Hello.
Bought the N5ii a week ago and updated it straight with 3.1 firmware.
Lovely DAP with very nice sound and build quality, but the instability is starting to drive me crazy.
Like with many other people, mine just stops playing quite often.
Sometimes it happens when I scroll through albums while playing, other times when I select another track, other times when I select Audio Priority while playing.
But other times it also stops without any reason at all, without even touching it. Is it going to be fixed for sure with the so awaited new firmware?

Another thing that happens with mine is when I power it off the backlight of the screen remains lit. I have to long press the power button to force it to really shut down.
Is this happening to anyone else?

It’s a shame but if these bugs continue or if new ones arise, I’m seriously considering returning it.
Even if I really like it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back