Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,477 of 2,546
How bad really is this hissing noise?

It's hard to quantify because the user feedback varied, I would say the hissing is audible at quiet passage if you are using IEM with at 105db or above, but not causing serious disturb to most music genre. With IEM at 110dB, you start to hear the faint hissing sound even during regular playback and causing different level of disturb to users.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #2,478 of 2,546
That seems good to me, less than I got mine a year ago, and it's a fantastic dap. I don't use IEMs much, mostly earbuds. Sounds fantastic with the balanced VE Asura 2

I don' think you'll hear the hissing with VE Asura2 even in 2.5 balanced.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,480 of 2,546
It's hard to quantify because the user feedback varied, I would say the hissing is audible at quiet passage if you are using IEM with at 105db or above, but not causing serious disturb to most music genre. With IEM at 110dB, you start to hear the faint hissing sound even during regular playback and causing different level of disturb to users.
Thanks. So as Long as find IEM < 110 BD, I will be safe? This does not apply to over the ear?

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,482 of 2,546
Am I right to say that Equalizer does not work with 24bit tracks? Any way to workaround this? Thanks!

Not sure about 24bit , but the EQ is limited to 48kHz and below, it's implemented in digital domain, MY processor is not powerful enough to handle HiRes playback and EQ at the same time.

Last edited:

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,483 of 2,546
Does anybody know if the N5 will read off of an external hard drive if you plug it into the USB port?

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #2,485 of 2,546
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,486 of 2,546
My N5 has a problem recently. I have two SD cards, both worked fine in the past. But recently, N5 has a hard time reading APE files on card 1. When I clicked on a APE file, it attempted to read it, but then complains that the file format is not supported; sometimes, it is even not able to read the folder structure. A hard reset usually solves the problem, but the same problem develops again after a short while. I tried card 2, the APE files work fine. I checked both cards using my PC, they are flawless.
BTW, card 1 is sandisk purchased from official Amazon, card 2 is Samsung EVO come with the used N5 I bought from a head-fier.

Does anybody have similar issue?

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,487 of 2,546
So after a year and a half, my N5 refuses to charge up. The orange light flashes as if it's charging, but the indicator shows 0 percent charged. Now it won't even power up, it turns on but then turns off immediately. I ordered a new USB cord on wishful thinking that the cord went bad, but I really have my doubts this will make a difference. I'm still waiting for the cord to arrive. Is this the end of the line for my N5?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,488 of 2,546
So after a year and a half, my N5 refuses to charge up. The orange light flashes as if it's charging, but the indicator shows 0 percent charged. Now it won't even power up, it turns on but then turns off immediately. I ordered a new USB cord on wishful thinking that the cord went bad, but I really have my doubts this will make a difference. I'm still waiting for the cord to arrive. Is this the end of the line for my N5?

How long have you left it plugged in for? And are you plugging into a computer USB port or a dedicated USB charger that plugs into the wall?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,489 of 2,546
Thanks for your response...I had it plugged in for several hours. I've tried the computer USB port and the wall plug. Same result for both.

*Edit to say several hours of charging for each method, wall plus/computer USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back