Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Mar 3, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,431 of 2,546
Sorry to say that, but I returned my N5 back to the store. Player was unstable and shut down several times without warning, even when battery was full.
So back to LG G5 until I buy new player :frowning2:

Did I miss your questions previously? We should be the one to say sorry for the instance.

I guess its too late to try anything, I hope you'll consider Cayin again in the future. We'll have 2 to 3 DAP rolls out this years, I hope one of these will fit your requirements.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 7, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,432 of 2,546
Returned to Advanced Mp3 Players (AMP), they got it on last Friday. Player two times stopped without any warning while normal usage and got really hot. Restarting it was not easy - no response from on/off switch and no action after pressing reset hole. Battery was around 90% in each scenario. Firmware - latest 3.2.
Waiting for an answer, it should be repair/exchange for same item, exchange for alternate product or refund. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,433 of 2,546
I have owned the Cayin N5 for about four months now and am very impressed with both its audio performance and its build quality. My battery life isn't that great, but I typically only listen to DSD and 24-bit/192KHz FLAC files at moderately high volume levels, so I'm not too surprised at that. Overall though, I think the N5 a great DAP with a near perfect form factor and until I find something that sounds just as good (or better), possibly with a more modern user interface (touch screen driven would be nice but not necessary), it will remain my DAP of choice for the foreseeable future. 

To the point of this post; I am in the process of building a couple of new cables (for personal use only) for my N5 to pair with my Shure ES525 (and other) IEMs. What I'm wondering about, in particular, is the balanced output jack on the N5 and how it's wired. Does anyone know? Looking at the 'DIY Cable Info and Resources' page (under the 'DIY and Mods' topic), there appears to be only one 2.5mm TRRS configuration listed, which is for 'Astell&Kern' devices (and I assume, others).

Is that (A&K) the standard for 2.5mm TRRS connections and is it the same wiring configuration used on the Cayin N5? I'm assuming it is, since there are no other 2.5mm TRRS wiring configurations listed on that page. If someone (Andykong, the Cayin sponsor, or whoever else might know) could confirm or elaborate on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
AL

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,434 of 2,546
I have owned the Cayin N5 for about four months now and am very impressed with both its audio performance and its build quality. My battery life isn't that great, but I typically only listen to DSD and 24-bit/192KHz FLAC files at moderately high volume levels, so I'm not too surprised at that. Overall though, I think the N5 a great DAP with a near perfect form factor and until I find something that sounds just as good (or better), possibly with a more modern user interface (touch screen driven would be nice but not necessary), it will remain my DAP of choice for the foreseeable future. 

To the point of this post; I am in the process of building a couple of new cables (for personal use only) for my N5 to pair with my Shure ES525 (and other) IEMs. What I'm wondering about, in particular, is the balanced output jack on the N5 and how it's wired. Does anyone know? Looking at the 'DIY Cable Info and Resources' page (under the 'DIY and Mods' topic), there appears to be only one 2.5mm TRRS configuration listed, which is for 'Astell&Kern' devices (and I assume, others).

Is that (A&K) the standard for 2.5mm TRRS connections and is it the same wiring configuration used on the Cayin N5? I'm assuming it is, since there are no other 2.5mm TRRS wiring configurations listed on that page. If someone (Andykong, the Cayin sponsor, or whoever else might know) could confirm or elaborate on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
AL

Glad you like your N5 DAP.

I assume you are referring to the Shure SE525 IEMs. I want to remind you that while the 2.5mm balanced headphone output is significantly higher (around 50% more) then the 3.5mm headphone output, it has has higher background noise then the 3.5mm port. The SE525, being a high sensitive low impedance IEM, might exhibit mild level of hissing when driven at N5's balanced headphone jack.

The pin out of N5's 2.5mm headphone jack has been documented in Post#2 of page 1, under the session of Design and Features >
2.5mm Balanced Headphone Output

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,435 of 2,546
Thank you! Yes, I meant the SE535. That was a typo. Now that I have the correct configuration for how the balanced output is wired, I can start making cables. Thanks for taking the time to post! 

I haven't really noticed any hiss or any other artifacts from the balanced output, although I haven't listened through the unbalanced 3.5mm output much (only briefly with a different IEM) to compare the two. I've been using a Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable with my SE535, which to my ears is a very high-frequency boosted cable.

The lows are somewhat flat, as are the mids, but highs are REALLY pushed to the forefront of its sound signature. I have some copper and copper/silver hybrid cable I'm going to use for a couple of new cables ( two each balanced and unbalanced), just to see how they compare. I don't have a 'stock' SE535 cable (it grew legs and ran off to join the circus), so I have nothing to compare the Silver Dragon to.

I've also done the Knowles acoustic damper mod to the SE535 (have the green ones in at the moment), and that's working out pretty well so far. I just want to make a few new cables for comparison, so I can see what effect they have on the sound signature. While the N5's built-in EQ works pretty well, it's not perfect and I'd prefer not to have to mess with anything. Well, other than the cable. 

Thanks for posting back so quickly! 

AL

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,436 of 2,546
I agree with Andy. The Shure will likely pick up a good amount of hiss from that balanced output. My JHA Angie did.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2,437 of 2,546
Hello Guys,

Bought player while ago (approximately year), and few month ago faced with usb port issue, it periodically stooped charging/sending the files. Bought it via Aliexpress, so, there is no possibility to contact with the seller (at least I failed). Can you tell me is there any way to send it directly to Cayin? Im ready to pay for fixing ofc. I tried to contact via  info@cayin.cn , but got a reply that there is no such address. Does Cayin have a support in general? 
Thank you in advance. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,439 of 2,546
Picked my N5 up from the post office this morning. Impressions so far are extremely good, to say the least.

It looks and sounds gorgeous, and appears to drive my Zen 2, TY320 and TY400S brilliantly with no amp required. Although Id read it was quite bright, there is no amount of harshness and the sound is full of body if that makes sense. Its a definite big upgrade over my other players, and provided I don't find problems, it could be end game player for me.

After reading all the positive comments about the N3, and this thread being quite quiet of late, I was losing excitement a bit, but now it's back well and truly :-D

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,440 of 2,546
The latest Windows 10 update, Creator Update, promises to bring native support of USB Audio 2.0. But when I plug in N5, it still shows as a non-functioning USB composite device, which needs driver to work. Whom should we blame, Microsoft or Cayin?

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,442 of 2,546
  The latest Windows 10 update, Creator Update, promises to bring native support of USB Audio 2.0. But when I plug in N5, it still shows as a non-functioning USB composite device, which needs driver to work. Whom should we blame, Microsoft or Cayin?

Blame Microsoft. It's always MS' fault.

Seriously, I did a full reinstall myself, and couldn't get the native usb2 drivers to work either. Had to install the Fiio drivers to get my X3 working. I guess the usb2 drivers are still a WiP

May 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,443 of 2,546
Recently getting this message when playing from my playlist. It happens around the same track +/-1... thereabouts. The DAP just froze. I gotta poke the hole to reset it. Any idea whether it's sdcard problem or? Have tried re-flash firmware (v3.2) but still getting it. Also bearing in mind it can happen during say 2 tracks, consecutive in my playlist but likely to be stored at different location on the sdcard.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,444 of 2,546
Recently getting this message when playing from my playlist. It happens around the same track +/-1... thereabouts. The DAP just froze. I gotta poke the hole to reset it. Any idea whether it's sdcard problem or? Have tried re-flash firmware (v3.2) but still getting it. Also bearing in mind it can happen during say 2 tracks, consecutive in my playlist but likely to be stored at different location on the sdcard.

My guess is the playlist has a file address that can't be resolved by the N5. It can be a Unicode problem, or it can be a relative location problem,

Is this a newly created playlist? can you examine the playlist and pay special attention to the issue I have speculated?

May 22, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #2,445 of 2,546
To whom it may concern :

Greetings. I recently bought a Cayin N5. I have some problems playing a set of mp3 files ripped from an online game. The files appear to be 16bit/22.5khz instead of the usual 16/44. I have had no issues playing them with other players or my phone. Please help.

Warmest regards

I attempted to send this to info@cayin.cn but an error occurred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back