Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Aug 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,116 of 2,546
I'm having some issues getting the firmware upgraded.  I am using Windows 10, so I made sure to do the signature driver enforcement bypass instructions.  I formatted a card in the player, downloaded the Zip file and extracted the n5.fw file and copied it over to the root directory of the card (there's nothing else on this card.)  When I press the return and power buttons, I get the message File system not supported.  What am I doing wrong?

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,121 of 2,546
  It's updating now, thanks, ColonelBucket8 and Alpha421.

Glad to hear that. Enjoy your n5
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,123 of 2,546
Regarding the clicking noise - I'm pretty sure it was stated a while ago that the clicking is the amp relay energizing/de-energizing.  With a bazillion posts in this thread I'm not going to go back to find it but I believe it WAS talked about a while ago.  The Fiio X5 I bought does it as well.  Pretty normal for these newer players.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,125 of 2,546
I got it, I got it, I got it! :bigsmile_face:   So I went to pick up my N5 from the post office today.  I'm still in the tinkering stage so I haven't put any music on it yet, but I have to say, this is by far the best looking dap I've ever owned. Even better looking than the pictures.  It's very solidly built.

Glad you like the look and feel of N5, I hope you like the sound of N5 as well. :beerchug:

I'm having some issues getting the firmware upgraded.  I am using Windows 10, so I made sure to do the signature driver enforcement bypass instructions.  I formatted a card in the player, downloaded the Zip file and extracted the n5.fw file and copied it over to the root directory of the card (there's nothing else on this card.)  When I press the return and power buttons, I get the message File system not supported.  What am I doing wrong?

I double checked the properties of the card and it does say   File system: FAT32.  My other card is formatted as exFAT.  The FAT32 card is in slot 2 if that makes a difference.

Just in case other readers run into similar problem, I shall quote the latest firmware upgrade announcement for your reference:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/771208/cayin-n5-dap-product-info-post-2-resources-post-3-and-discussion/2055#post_12736552

1. For safety reason, please make sure the player has sufficient battery power before. Please confirm the N5 player has not less than 50% battery power beforehand, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.
  2. You can download the latest firmware from the Cayin website (http://en.cayin.cn/news.asp?keys=222).Decompress and copy the new N5 firmware file (n5.fw) into the root directory of a TF card (FAT32 formatted).
  3. Switch off the player, insert the TF card into the TF slot 1 of the player
  4. Hold Back button (Top right button under the screen of front panel) and Power button at the same time until the player find the firmware file and go into firmware upgrade mode. A time elapse bar will display to show the progress of the upgrade process.
  5. Player will reboot at the end of the firmware upgrade. You can verify the current firmware version number by selecting System Setting menu, under “About the Player” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,126 of 2,546
Regarding the clicking noise - I'm pretty sure it was stated a while ago that the clicking is the amp relay energizing/de-energizing.  With a bazillion posts in this thread I'm not going to go back to find it but I believe it WAS talked about a while ago.  The Fiio X5 I bought does it as well.  Pretty normal for these newer players.

Yes, the sound comes from the relay in the N5. I can confirm that. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 15, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,127 of 2,546
Yes, Andykong. It helps to read all of the instructions. 
redface.gif

I'm loving the sound of the N5, it's much more dynamic and "alive" than the sound I got from my iPod, listening to them back to back.  The iPod sounds flat and a little muddled now.  I'm picking up parts of songs I hadn't heard before.  Can't believe I got so used to that.  It's amazing what we'll settle for.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,128 of 2,546
Has anyone had success creating an external playlist for the N5 using software similar to MusicBee? (It's a lot like Winamp used to be.)  What steps did you take?  My folder setup for my main music files is identical to what I set up on the N5.  I did a test playlist, and the N5 sees it on the card, but can't find the tracks.  Thanks for any help! 

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #2,129 of 2,546
Yes, Andykong. It helps to read all of the instructions.  :xf_eek:

I'm loving the sound of the N5, it's much more dynamic and "alive" than the sound I got from my iPod, listening to them back to back.  The iPod sounds flat and a little muddled now.  I'm picking up parts of songs I hadn't heard before.  Can't believe I got so used to that.  It's amazing what we'll settle for.

I own an ipod classic 5.5, ipod touch 4, ipod nano 4, all to me sounded dull compared to N5. I sold my hidizs ap100 for N5 it even a huge upgrade i think, much cleaner, much relaxing, very nice for vocals which is i like the most.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,130 of 2,546
  Has anyone had success creating an external playlist for the N5 using software similar to MusicBee? (It's a lot like Winamp used to be.)  What steps did you take?  My folder setup for my main music files is identical to what I set up on the N5.  I did a test playlist, and the N5 sees it on the card, but can't find the tracks.  Thanks for any help! 

I figured this one out on my own.  If anyone else is using MusicBee (or similar) here are the steps for creating a playlist.

In MusicBee, browse the files on the player (not the computer).
Add songs to your playlist. MusicBee will create a Playlist folder in the root folder of the card you're using.
Once you're finished, pull the playlist out of the Playlist folder and drop it directly in the card's root folder.
That's it, it should work perfectly.

I'm a happy camper now!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back