Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Aug 4, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,101 of 2,546
Fra Diavolo: You'll be able to see all of your files arranged however you drag and drop them onto your MSD card. My suggestion would be to use MP3Tag to create a folder and file making structure they best suits your needs. I use a set of top level folders that are alphabetical and then use the typical artist, album, track etc.

Looks something like this when I browse...

A-C / Artist / Year + Album / Track# Track Title.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2,102 of 2,546
nmatheis, I have a very similar set up.  At the top level, I have four or five genres that I use as generic divisions. (Rock, Classical, Jazz and Blues) Within each of these folders, I have A-Z, then Artists, then Albums.  All of my tracks are meticulously tagged.  So the folder browsing, I have no problem sorting through and it works great when I use it.  I just don't always want to listen to full albums. 

I think maybe another option to get around the database limit is to use playlists, which would take some time to build, but worth the effort. Besides, I never get tired of playing with my music files.  How easy is it to make/import playlists from a PC to the N5?  I use Music Bee for my music software.  It is really great, so I'd be thrilled to be able to use it to make playlists.

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,107 of 2,546
Thanks for the response. 

That does lead to a question.  Does the 15,000 limit mean that only 15,000 tracks are visible in the database at any one time? For instance, if I look in "Artist" and none of my ZZ Top tracks show up because "Artist" would return more than 15,000 tracks, but if I sort by the genre "Classic Rock" they would show up since there are less than 15,000 tracks in that particular search.  Or will certain tracks (over 15,000) never show up in any search?  If some tracks never show up in the database, I presume that they are the ones added AFTER the initial 15,000 tracks? So I'd want to load my favorite 15,000 tracks first.

I had worried about the 15,000 database limit, but I don't usually sort my entire collection at once.  I generally will stick with a single genre, or I will browse from folders. Although having the option to browse by year might be another way to get around the limit since there's never more than a few hundred tracks in each year. 

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious how the limit works.  I will find a way to make it work within whatever parameters I have, so not a deal-breaker. 

P.S. I'm checking out the headphone recommendations, too...thank you!

Thanks!

nmatheis, I have a very similar set up.  At the top level, I have four or five genres that I use as generic divisions. (Rock, Classical, Jazz and Blues) Within each of these folders, I have A-Z, then Artists, then Albums.  All of my tracks are meticulously tagged.  So the folder browsing, I have no problem sorting through and it works great when I use it.  I just don't always want to listen to full albums. 

I think maybe another option to get around the database limit is to use playlists, which would take some time to build, but worth the effort. Besides, I never get tired of playing with my music files.  How easy is it to make/import playlists from a PC to the N5?  I use Music Bee for my music software.  It is really great, so I'd be thrilled to be able to use it to make playlists.

Thanks.

For N5, the 15,000 file limit will only affect the sorting functions in Music Library, if you were to use Folders view in your routine operation, then you probably won't be affected by the 15,000 file limit because Folder view does not require music scan.'
'

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #2,108 of 2,546
For N5, the 15,000 file limit will only affect the sorting functions in Music Library, if you were to use Folders view in your routine operation, then you probably won't be affected by the 15,000 file limit because Folder view does not require music scan.'
'

Confirmed, I strictly use folder browsing and I have about 16,500 songs.
No issue, and much faster than other types of operations.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,110 of 2,546
Thanks for the replies. 

Feeling a bit more than frustrated. My N5 was supposed to be delivered today, but since I was at work, they didn't deliver it because they require a signature.  Now my only option is to take time off of work so I can pick it up at the post office or wait for a re-delivery on Saturday.  1st world problem, I guess.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #2,111 of 2,546
Hi, Headfiers,
I just want to say, just got the N5,and wow!!! Did not expect to like it, nae,love it as much as I do. Imho it sounds better then my X5 and my DX80. I love the clarity and how warm it sounds to me on all levels, it has a deepness to the sound that my other Daps don't. The music just feels closer to me. Again this is how I relate to it. I am using my Focal Classics over ear phones at about 40\100.

On a final note, a shout out to Andy Kong and all the rest of the Cayin staff. THANK YOU

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,113 of 2,546
  Hi, Headfiers,
I just want to say, just got the N5,and wow!!! Did not expect to like it, nae,love it as much as I do. Imho it sounds better then my X5 and my DX80. I love the clarity and how warm it sounds to me on all levels, it has a deepness to the sound that my other Daps don't. The music just feels closer to me. Again this is how I relate to it. I am using my Focal Classics over ear phones at about 40\100.

On a final note, a shout out to Andy Kong and all the rest of the Cayin staff. THANK YOU

yes n5 is a mids head dap

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #2,114 of 2,546
Hi, Headfiers,

Glad you like yoru N5, I read your message at late night yesterday and fwd to our CEO immediately, this is the kind of recognition that will keep us going. :beerchug:

In my experience, the SQ of N5 will settle down after 100 hours and start to sing really well after 200 hours, this is the time to test your patient. Come back after 200 hours of usage and tell us whether you are enjoying the N5 like the first hour. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,115 of 2,546
I got it, I got it, I got it! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  So I went to pick up my N5 from the post office today.  I'm still in the tinkering stage so I haven't put any music on it yet, but I have to say, this is by far the best looking dap I've ever owned. Even better looking than the pictures.  It's very solidly built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back