Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jul 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,071 of 2,546

This whole audio-stuff is a total nightmare. How to buy something if you are always afraid to miss out on something better?

No, because the N5 is "cheap" enough that you don't feel "robbed" even if you end up not liking it, as opposed to buying the latest A&K or Cowon players (exception: Plenue D).
And I'm not saying this based on SQ, but purely cost-wise.

I'm just discovering this beautiful DAP. At 330$, it's just amazing value: 2 microsd slots, balanced output and the UI is VERY intuitive and can be operated without a single look.
It literally took me 5 minutes to get used to it, without the manual.

Firmware upgrade was easy enough, and the last one feels VERY polished. Some details DO matter: left/right volume adjustment, gain, all the options are very well thought.

So far I like the sound signature with HA-FA850 and AK Angie. Very clear, very controlled, and the balanced cable of the Angie brought a nice little kick to separation (it's minor to be honest but I was not expecting a miracle either). It's still a warm signature but less than my AK120, the last Wolfson chip is a bit more controlled than the old 874x series without being as analytical as a Sabre chip (Meizu Pro5, very accurate, very analytical with its 9018K2M, forces you to use warm IEMs).

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,073 of 2,546
Im very glad the 3.2 firmware gives us a choice on scroll.

Love, Cayin for stable firmware that doesn't screw with sound signature lIke iBasso.
Newest 1.5 update and quite a number prefer sound signature of 1.3. What's the point of fixing bugs if almost no one wants to upgrade because of sound changes.

Cayin updates are really good.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,074 of 2,546
Im very glad the 3.2 firmware gives us a choice on scroll.

Love, Cayin for stable firmware that doesn't screw with sound signature lIke iBasso.
Newest 1.5 update and quite a number prefer sound signature of 1.3. What's the point of fixing bugs if almost no one wants to upgrade because of sound changes.

Cayin updates are really good.

Amen, brother @JaeYoon!

So happy also that Cayin gave us the choice between scrolling styles with the newest (and damn quick) update. Big thumbs up!!!

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,076 of 2,546
Hello all,

This is my first ever post to Head-Fi.  After much reading, I decided to give the N5 a try as my next DAP.  I still have my Cowon D2 and rockboxed Clip Zip but I wanted to get something special that would make my music sound better.  A few months ago I went though something similar with headphones (ended up with Beyerdynamic T-51P).  

My N5 arrived last week (Dignis "Grigio" case a few days later, just to show I'm committed).  I upgraded firmware to 3.1 and put in my cards.  There were a couple of problems, which to be honest is the primary reason I'm posting.

I carefully inserted both cards (with correct orientation) and the card in slot 2 got stuck.  I did careful things to try to remove it with no luck, so I sent it back to the seller.  They returned it to me (with the no longer functional micro SD card) and I can now insert and remove cards from both slots without difficulty.

I had been expecting a replacement so I hadn't mentioned the other issue (at least it seems like an issue).  There's a clicking sound that comes from the cards in the slots.  It only happens when I play or pause and it does not happen if the headphones are not plugged in.  It's happened with both cards in either slot but not every time.  There's a metallic quality of the sound that reminds me a little of a finger piano (I know that sounds goofy).  Is this normal?  Should I send it back again?

When it happens, it's always the same.  I press play (or pause), there's a click then after one second the track begins to play and there's a second click.

I've enjoyed my limited time with the N5 but I don't want to keep a unit that might be defective.  Playback functions fine but the sound makes me nervous.

Thanks for reading and for all of the information here.  It's incredibly useful!

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,080 of 2,546
Curious to know what brand/type microSD cards you're using. I've received fake cards before or cards from questionable sources and never has the outcome been fruitful in the long run (more than 4 weeks).

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,081 of 2,546
one is Transcend and the other is Samsung.  The Samsung I've used in my Sansa Clip for over a year with no problem (and no click).  The Transcend is relatively new.  I purchased both from Amazon directly, not 3rd party (not that bad cards can't still come from them).  The card that got stuck and trashed was Silicon Power.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,083 of 2,546
  @nmatheis
it's from the card slot.  it's not audible in the headphones.  it seems odd that it happens when the headphones are plugged in but doesn't happen when they are not.

I confirm that mine is doing the same clicking noise when you start/stop/pause music.
It does come from the bottom of the DAP where the slots and usb ports are located, but it doesn't mean that this is due to the cards, it is just that this is where the DAP chassis is open, so the clicking sounds come from the DAP internals, somewhere unidentified.

It does happen indifferently with Samsung, Transcend and SanDisk microSDs (I have a nice mix of 64/128/200Gb cards), as a proof of this.

Conclusion: the DAP is at fault here, the cards have nothing to do with it.

This being said, I'm not sure it's anything serious, it is just not very discrete.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,084 of 2,546
I hear the clicking noise as well. Stopped a song, resumed a song there is a clicking coming from Cayin N5 internally too.

I'm pretty sure it's probably some mechanically moving part and nothing bad is happening. Maybe Andykong can tell us

Users who are viewing this thread

Back