Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jul 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,056 of 2,546
Andykong: Thanks for the explanation. I ended up reverting back to the previous firmware because the new navigation scheme was confusing without an explanation. I was expecting page up / page down to function with assistance of one of the buttons such that the scroll wheel would retain its original functionality in addition to the paging functionality.

mdiogofs: I've heard both N5 and N6 back to back a couple times. N5 always sounds warmer and more "fun". I prefer N5.

Hey what do you think of Cayin C5 adding extra warm compared to Cayin N5 by itself?

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #2,058 of 2,546
Andykong: Thanks for the explanation. I ended up reverting back to the previous firmware because the new navigation scheme was confusing without an explanation. I was expecting page up / page down to function with assistance of one of the buttons such that the scroll wheel would retain its original functionality in addition to the paging functionality

I will say it again... Speed scrolling! (And not page scrolling).... The new firmware is making the N5 like the LP5 and LP3!

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2,059 of 2,546
@mdiogofs: I've heard both N5 and N6 back to back a couple times. N5 always sounds warmer and more "fun". I prefer N5.

With each IEMs/headphones? That's the thing I guess, because if you pair a warm IEM with a warm DAP it could be too much warm. Maybe I prefer a neutral DAP because my tendency is to use a bit warm and smooth IEMs, and it shows up the correct amount of "fun" for me. And in this configuration, N6 is spot on, about musicality and smooth and dynamics. I don't think I can use a DAP "under" this level right now, despite I could use something like the N5, with better usability characteristics for on-the-go. That's why I'm here, because of this characteristics. And for Cayin brand. But I might try it soon. Thanks for your opinion.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2,061 of 2,546
I found iBasso DX80 brighter in treble than N6. DX80 with 1.4.2 and N6 with 4.2. This took me by surprise, I was expecting a brighter experience with N6, but indeed found it not crossing my preference line. And nowadays I don't like a bright sound. DX80 1.4.2 crossed that line.

EDIT: I found myself tapping my feet with N6. I was not expecting this, because I bought it for a more analytical and critical listening. Instead I found a very musical, not bright, not analytic, and a bit organic kind sound. From my reading, I guess Cayin has been shifting N6 firmware sound to a less bright nature within each firmware release. I need to try this again, but firmware 3.0 was like a very organic sound. Really, then in 4.2 (didn't try 4.0) the sound probably because again more hi-fi and with less body. And more accurate. That's why I heard some people prefering 3.0 than 4.0. It was very full and organic sound, not bright at all. I already thought putting in one of my SD card to shift between a more hi-fi and a more organic and full sound some times. Changing firmware and setup prefs is fast.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,062 of 2,546
[COLOR=FF00AA]Announcement of Cayin N5 firmware v3.2 [/COLOR]

Since we released the v3.1 firmware for Cayin N5, we have received a lot of attention and feedback. The new interface added page scrolling feature to the scroll wheel of N5 and this will change the operation sequence of N5 to certain extend. Some users prefer the previous interface while others are adapting the new interface with different level of difficulties, and we also have a group of users who don’t have a large portable musical library to work with, hence does not benefited by the page scrolling function. For these reasons we hereby announced the v3.2 firmware and offer a choice to users, please check this out from the following download link.

http://en.cayin.cn/news_view.asp?id=808

[COLOR=FF00AA]I. New Functions[/COLOR]

Add new Menu control on Page Scroll function, default setting is OFF.

1. If set to OFF, the page scrolling function will be deactivated, and user control will in line with v3.0 and pervious firmware
  2. If set to ON, the scroll wheel will function as page flipping when they are dealing with a multi-page content (e.g.,, browsing Folder list or All songs under Music library) while the Up and Down key remain as per-item based navigation. The control logic is as follows:

• When the content is less than one page, page scrolling will not be applicable, and the wheel will remain as per-item based navigation
  • When the content involves more than one page, the scrolling wheel will navigate on page flipping base.

You can setup the page scrolling function in the System Setup Menu.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Note: [/COLOR] Page Scrolling is not applicable to System menu, it will always be per-item based navigation.

Cayin N5 Firmware upgrade

For the hardware to function properly, Cayin has developed the N5 firmware to become the foundation of the system functions. Cayin will issue updated N5 firmware from time to time to improve the efficiency and performance of the hardware platform. We also want to improve and optimize the features and functions of the player through subsequent firmware updates.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Attention:[/COLOR]
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor different, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N5 Player.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to format your N5 player and result in losing person data stored on the player. We strongly suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.
  • The N5 firmware cannot be used in other product, and the firmware from other product cannot be used in N5

Firmware upgrade procedure
  1. For safety reason, please make sure the player has sufficient battery power before. Please confirm the N5 player has not less than 50% battery power beforehand, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.
  2. You can download the latest firmware from the Cayin website (http://en.cayin.cn/news.asp?keys=222).Decompress and copy the new N5 firmware file (n5.fw) into the root directory of a TF card (FAT32 formatted).
  3. Switch off the player, insert the TF card into the TF slot 1 of the player
  4. Hold Back button (Top right button under the screen of front panel) and Power button at the same time until the player find the firmware file and go into firmware upgrade mode. A time elapse bar will display to show the progress of the upgrade process.
  5. Player will reboot at the end of the firmware upgrade. You can verify the current firmware version number by selecting System Setting menu, under “About the Player” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Attention:[/COLOR]
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,065 of 2,546
And about N5 warmth. I don't find N5 too warm. I find it neutral with a dash of warmth and a slightly deeper low end. Sounds great with every thing I have thrown at it but I am also rolling around in sub $400 headphones and Sub $200 IEMS, so you know, Its just my opinion based on what I have.

C5 Also sounds just slightly warmer then neutral. Maybe slightly more soundstage them N5, but same sound character. Bass boost that's incorporated is the best I have experienced. Really fills out the low end without bleed, and sounds more natural then other bass boost.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #2,066 of 2,546
The update is working great.  Makes scrolling through my collection a little more tolerable.  Still, I would love to have the speed scroll function, which sounds like it's not possible due to the limitations of the N5 mechanical wheel vs. the touch wheel on iPods.  Anyhow, thanks for improving upon an already great sounding DAP, just don't do what Fiio and iBasso does with their firmwares and muck with the sound with subsequent updates.  I'm assuming the N5 digital filters remains unchanged, regardless of updates.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,068 of 2,546
  That's the thing I guess, because if you pair a warm IEM with a warm DAP it could be too much warm.

I second that. Tried the N5 with my FAD Heaven V. Far too warm while on the Sony A17 and ZX100 the FAD are a perfect match (for my personal preference).
I was pretty much sold to the new i5 but will give the N5 another try with the Orivety Primacy IEM. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,069 of 2,546
I second that. Tried the N5 with my FAD Heaven V. Far too warm while on the Sony A17 and ZX100 the FAD are a perfect match (for my personal preference).
I was pretty much sold to the new i5 but will give the N5 another try with the Orivety Primacy IEM. 
op iem will be a good match with n5.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,070 of 2,546
My decision making in terms of a new DAP/IEM combination is becoming a total mess. For months I was thinking of the ZX100, then the i5 came up.
Issue just the pairing with FAD IEMs, having the Heaven V and was thinking of upgrading to the VI or VII or new F-Series. 
Somewhen I tried the Oriveti primacy and totally loved them. Now I was reading back the N5 thread and it reappears on my radar. Also obviously next month
the Opus #2 should comeon the market (and btw: I also loved signature the Opus #1).

And as icing on the cake there are no shops who have ALL equipment available I am instered in so that A/B-ing is difficult. 

This whole audio-stuff is a total nightmare. How to buy something if you are always afraid to miss out on something better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back