Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #916 of 2,546
Not that I found. I very much wanted to use the center button during screen off, but there isn't an option for that, either.

I found the M button on the side works as a play/pause button when the screen is off.

But ya i hope cayin implements button use in a later firmware

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #918 of 2,546
Im 2 hrs away in Eugene.

I knew you were somewhere close by. If you have time in the next week and want to come try, I'd be happy to share!

Is there a setting that allows the forward and back buttons to works while the players screen is turned off?

Volume buttons work as skip track back and forward with longer press when screen is off, if this is what you ask.

Seems like Cayin needs a screen lock mode.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #919 of 2,546

Is there a setting that allows the forward and back buttons to works while the players screen is turned off?

Volume buttons work as skip track back and forward with longer press when screen is off, if this is what you ask.

Yep, exactly the same way how it is with N6.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #920 of 2,546

Yep, exactly the same way how it is with N6.

I see I see... just thought since there are actual forward and back buttons... seems a little silly that they're irrelevant when the screen is off

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #921 of 2,546
I see I see... just thought since there are actual forward and back buttons... seems a little silly that they're irrelevant when the screen is off

I agree. With the FiiO X5 it made since to lock those things, or at least have an option to lock them, but the N5 has much sturdier buttons, which are not likely to get pressed by accident whilst in-pocket.

I say, add the lock-screen options like the X5 has, just to be safe.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #923 of 2,546
IMO it is not silly, just precaution. Such front buttons as they are can really misbehave in "pocket mode"

Pocket mode, that's a nice description, maybe we should use this name in our user manual, we just called it lock mode in our general reference. :D

Indeed we lock up all the control interface in the front faceplate for precaution purpose, and we leave the 3 button on the side for blind control, these UI design is incurred from N6 with better button arrangement. I used a belt pocket to carry my N5 and N6 everyday, and I usually click the power button to go into lock mode before I put the DAP into the pocket. The public transportation in our part of the world are very crowded at peak hours, so the chance of mis-operation is relatively higher.

When come to UI design, Cayin tends to take the conservative mode of thinking and try to be as bullet proof as possible, it can be a bit inconvenient at time, the line out setting on N5 is a typical example of that. The Lock mode is developed under the same safety logic and precaution, might not be everyone's preference, but we have to put group benefit at a higher priority.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #925 of 2,546
so the cable i bought from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 turned up and i have tried it today, not sure how long it took as i was on holiday.

It fits the 2.5mm socket on the N5 and along with the supertech TRRS cable im getting sound, Only had a brief listen and unsure on a difference / benefit.  Will give it a proper go tomorrow and let you all know.  If its wired correctly and i am presuming it is but unsure how to check it is a balanced sound dont know how check this, it could be a cheap way for people to get the balanced out

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #926 of 2,546
  so the cable i bought from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 turned up and i have tried it today, not sure how long it took as i was on holiday.

It fits the 2.5mm socket on the N5 and along with the supertech TRRS cable im getting sound, Only had a brief listen and unsure on a difference / benefit.  Will give it a proper go tomorrow and let you all know.  If its wired correctly and i am presuming it is but unsure how to check it is a balanced sound dont know how check this, it could be a cheap way for people to get the balanced out

that cable adapter is AK wired, while PM-3 is HifiMan wired (you are using PM-3, right?).  Not sure if it would work correctly.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #928 of 2,546
Have not realized how to see lyrics yet. I turned "Lyric" on in "Menu" (as well as "Album Art"), but I can see an Album Cover only. How can I switch to lyrics?
And IMO it would be nice to have the detailed N5 User Manual available for download at http://en.cayin.cn/news.asp?keys=222.

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #930 of 2,546
After a few battery drain cycles to get a feel of battery life and also to run in a little, finally got to sit down to configure a bit... mainly set up a playlist, only to realise there isn't any!

I have been so used to X5's UI, and the decision to buy N5 is also partly based on correlation. They are probably anything above 95% the same in terms of UI/navi. The one gripe I had was also the N5 wheel, it being rather stiff and hence not very efficient when scrolling through long lists of folders/tracks compared to the Fiio. I've since gotten over that.

But...... seriously, no playlist??? That was really something I took for granted and hence did not compare.

I could add tracks to Favorites, no problem. It works similar to having a playlist, just that it's limited to one set. Not a problem also since I'm working on a single playlist anyway. However, when I play by category (Favorites), the tracks are all sorted by alphanumeric. My prefered sequencing is gone. 

So... may I suggest the Playlist function be added in for the next firmware? I thought this would be a very useful function for many users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back