Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #890 of 2,546
  how come?

You mean why there is no benefit of using SE215 balanced wired?  Balanced output has two advantages - increasing a power (since you are sending 2 complimentary balanced signals instead of one referenced to the ground) and reducing the noise (since you are not referencing your L/R signal to one common shared ground).  Also, depending on DAPs architecture, balanced output can improve L/R separation for a better soundstage expansion (especially in width of a sound).  I don't have experience using Shure products, except for SE846, but in general SE215 doesn't need any additional power and it's not as sensitive or low impedance.  Plus, as of now N5 2.5mm balanced output is not dead silent like AK100ii/120ii to begin with.  There are other headphones that might benefit from balanced output, but not SE215.  If you have your mind set on getting a replacement cable, go ahead.  I didn't like SE846 stock cable and not sure if the same goes for their other budget IEMs.  Just don't expect to hear any significant sound improvement unless you are getting silver-plated or pure silver or pure copper, etc. wires.  That's where a sound upgrade going to happen - changing wires of the cable, not going from single ended to balanced.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #891 of 2,546

You mean why there is no benefit of using SE215 balanced wired?  Balanced output has two advantages - increasing a power (since you are sending 2 complimentary balanced signals instead of one referenced to the ground) and reducing the noise (since you are not referencing your L/R signal to one common shared ground).  Also, depending on DAPs architecture, balanced output can improve L/R separation for a better soundstage expansion (especially in width of a sound).  I don't have experience using Shure products, except for SE846, but in general SE215 doesn't need any additional power and it's not as sensitive or low impedance.  Plus, as of now N5 2.5mm balanced output is not dead silent like AK100ii/120ii to begin with.  There are other headphones that might benefit from balanced output, but not SE215.  If you have your mind set on getting a replacement cable, go ahead.  I didn't like SE846 stock cable and not sure if the same goes for their other budget IEMs.  Just don't expect to hear any significant sound improvement unless you are getting silver-plated or pure silver or pure copper, etc. wires.  That's where a sound upgrade going to happen - changing wires of the cable, not going from single ended to balanced.

Excellent advice Alex, I feel the same way. I don't usually hear a significant improvement with balanced cables unless I'm in a very expensive set of cans, the quality of the wire in the cables makes the most change for me as well
wink_face.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #892 of 2,546

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking around for some upgraded 2.5 mm cables. Just so I have an idea, could you describe the difference in sound from upgrading the stock wire to pure copper/silver? I'm curious to see if I would find it a worthwhile purchase

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #893 of 2,546

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking around for some upgraded 2.5 mm cables. Just so I have an idea, could you describe the difference in sound from upgrading the stock wire to pure copper/silver? I'm curious to see if I would find it a worthwhile purchase

From what I heard, SE215 has a warmer smoother signature, so stay away from pure copper because it will make sound a little warmer and heavier at low end.  A quality pure silver cable will set you back at least $300, anything cheaper will be a mix or thin wires they are trying to sell you as pure silver.  Your best bet is to go with a more budget friendly silver plated.  You can get a decent cable for about $30-$40.  Just stay away from silver plated mmcx upgrade cable from FiiO - horrible microphonics.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #894 of 2,546
Just want to add that not all users hear a difference with upgraded cables, and the change is usually very subtle. They won't transform your IEM.

Order of importance for upgrading is:

1) Headphones / IEMs

2) Music masters / quality source files (items 2 and 3 may be interchangeable)

3) Source hardware. DAC / amplifier (items 2 and 3 may be interchangeable)

4) Cables - If you can even notice a difference.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #895 of 2,546
Just want to add that not all users hear a difference with upgraded cables, and the change is usually very subtle. They won't transform your IEM.

And the reason is simple: A cable is a cable is a cable. But people's brains want to hear a difference so that they can justify for themselves to spend 300 or more bucks for an IEM cable.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #896 of 2,546

And the reason is simple: A cable is a cable is a cable. But people's brains want to hear a difference so that they can justify for themselves to spend 300 or more bucks for an IEM cable.

A cable is a piece of wire made out of metal.  A sound is an electrical signal.  Different metals have different thermal conductivity and electrical resistivity, all of which affects the flow of electrical signal (silver happens to have the lowest resistivity and the highest conductivity, with copper following close second).  Thickness of the wires (gauge) will affect resistance as well (just think of a water pipe, wider vs narrower).  Different manufacturing process will ensure level of purity of the material where impurities will affect the property.  So, a cable is a cable is a cable is ONLY if you are referring to a piece of wire connecting point A to point B.  Otherwise, there is a difference.  The question is how much difference, and if it's more noticeable vs more subtle will depend on your hearing level, your hardware and audio source, tuning signature of headphones, driver technology, and so on.  Too many variables.  It's not what our brain wants to hear, but how our brain is hearing things at the end.  And in some cases, after spending $300-$500 we want to justify the purchase and sometime "believe" in more than what actually happening in reality.

I understand you have an opinion about upgrading the cables, but unless you can prove me wrong - I believe your opinion is based on reading "other opinions" instead of going by your own first hand experience.  I can tell you with certainty, I have tested a ton of different cables, and I hear a difference.  Last night I was testing Westone ES60 CIEM where $350 Pure Silver cable attenuated a hell out of sub-bass and when I switched to $100 Pure Copper cable - I had a religious experience saying "hallelujah"
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #897 of 2,546
I agree, cables should be at the bottom of your upgrade list.

Personally, I have never heard a difference switching cable materials. Of course, I also haven't tried out those crazy expensive ones. I'm open to the possibility, though. It seems to me, different purity, different material, should have an effect on the electrical signal passing through it, and that in turn should change the sound somewhat. But I've never experienced this.

Now, going balanced can be another matter altogether. HOWEVER! You must have a DAP that does it well.

Balanced-out on my AK120ii has taken me to another world, it's so good. I've never heard audio so clear, spacious, and holographic. AK120ii>Angie is true transparency.

Balanced-out on the N5 is just slightly better than single-ended, and only in minor ways. In my opinion this is outweighed by the level of noise the N5 produces from the 2.5mm port. I say just stick with the 3.5mm SE output.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #898 of 2,546
Alex, I never said others can't hear a difference, nor did I say they don't exist, just that in the order of upgrades cables would be at the bottom IMO.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #899 of 2,546
Alex, I never said others can't hear a difference, nor did I say they don't exist, just that in the order of upgrades cables would be at the bottom IMO.

Craig, my comment was directed to "Bart", specifically to "a cable is a cable is a cable"
wink.gif
  I agree, we all hear things differently, and I don't expect people to hear the same difference.  I just wanted to comment that difference between cables is not a snake oil, and a lot of people make comments about it without a personal first hand experience.  I can't tell the difference between $35 silver plated and $135 silver plated cable, but I can tell the difference between regular ofc copper and silver plated.  The same with pure silver cables, I can't tell the difference between different types of pure silver, but I can hear for sure the difference between pure silver and pure copper.

We all good
beerchug.gif
  I just want people to be aware there is an actual science behind cables
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back