Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #901 of 2,546

We all good
beerchug.gif
  I just want people to be aware there is an actual science behind cables
biggrin.gif

yes, that science is called marketing!

I have an even better idea, why don't you wait until 2016, visit CanJam Singapore where I'm sure you will get a chance to actually test some replacement cables, and then come back and enlighten us with your wisdom?
wink.gif

Oh, and yes - a lot of companies use marketing hype, no doubt about that.  I rejected quite a few review requests asking me to test $1k cables...

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #903 of 2,546
You mean why there is no benefit of using SE215 balanced wired?  Balanced output has two advantages - increasing a power (since you are sending 2 complimentary balanced signals instead of one referenced to the ground) and reducing the noise (since you are not referencing your L/R signal to one common shared ground).  Also, depending on DAPs architecture, balanced output can improve L/R separation for a better soundstage expansion (especially in width of a sound).  I don't have experience using Shure products, except for SE846, but in general SE215 doesn't need any additional power and it's not as sensitive or low impedance.  Plus, as of now N5 2.5mm balanced output is not dead silent like AK100ii/120ii to begin with.  There are other headphones that might benefit from balanced output, but not SE215.  If you have your mind set on getting a replacement cable, go ahead.  I didn't like SE846 stock cable and not sure if the same goes for their other budget IEMs.  Just don't expect to hear any significant sound improvement unless you are getting silver-plated or pure silver or pure copper, etc. wires.  That's where a sound upgrade going to happen - changing wires of the cable, not going from single ended to balanced.

Very well said, couldn't have put it better my friend.

I didn't have a lot of experience with balanced driven headphone/IEM with DAP, N5 is my first DAP equipped with balanced connection, but I can chip in my observation from desktop system:

(1) Biggest improvement coming from extra current, hence driven to a better standard. However easy driven cans does not benefit from extra current, neither is a headphone that has been driven very well at Single End already. I'll quote planar headphone as illustration for this point. For the same reason, dynamic IEMs are quite often getting more benefit then BA IEMs. When I said better driven, I don't mean louder, but better control in most cases.

(2) Separation is the second reason I go for balanced connection, if the can can offer a lot of detail, balanced driven will stretch things out and yet offer good layering, density and imaging. In desktop system, HD800 is a typical example for this scenario.

(3) As related to (1), if the SE phone out of an amplifier/DAP is of fairly high quality quality already, the different between Balanced and non-balanced are less obvious, hence not as obviously during the switching. The real important deal is how well the headphone/IEM were driven at its own right, now how big is the different between the balanced and non-balanced output.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #904 of 2,546

My N5 finally arrived!!!  Ordered it on 10/12 so it took 9 days from Hong Kong to the States.

Went from my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Audio-Technica ATH-IM50 headphones to the N5 with Aurisonics ASG-2.5's and spinfit tips.

All I have to say is Oh-My-Mother Fing-G,  I absolutely love the sound quality of the N5.  Much better than my phone.  The clarity and that oh so lovely bass.  
smile.gif

The look and feel of this DAP is awesome.  It feels solid in the hand.  Great job Cayin!!!!  I was thinking of getting the C5 to go with it but I don't think I need to because I don't use over ear headphones.  The impedance of the 2.5's is low enough were I can't possibly need that much power.

I haven't listened to 2.0 firmware yet, was too excited to listen to the DAP.  If what was installed sounds this good, look forward to seeing what improvements 2.0 brings.

Thanks everyone on this thread for your recommendation on buying this DAP.  This is my very first DAP and quality headphone setup and I think I'm in love.  
o2smile.gif

Yes, got my cherry popped, LOL.  
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #905 of 2,546

My N5 finally arrived!!!  Ordered it on 10/12 so it took 9 days from Hong Kong to the States.

Went from my Samsung Galaxy S4 with Audio-Technica ATH-IM50 headphones to the N5 with Aurisonics ASG-2.5's and spinfit tips.

All I have to say is Oh-My-Mother Fing-G,  I absolutely love the sound quality of the N5.  Much better than my phone.  The clarity and that oh so lovely bass.  :smile:

The look and feel of this DAP is awesome.  It feels solid in the hand.  Great job Cayin!!!!  I was thinking of getting the C5 to go with it but I don't think I need to because I don't use over ear headphones.  The impedance of the 2.5's is low enough were I can't possibly need that much power.

I haven't listened to 2.0 firmware yet, was too excited to listen to the DAP.  If what was installed sounds this good, look forward to seeing what improvements 2.0 brings.

Thanks everyone on this thread for your recommendation on buying this DAP.  This is my very first DAP and quality headphone setup and I think I'm in love.  :o2smile:

Yes, got my cherry popped, LOL.  :p

Glad you like your N5, passionate respond like this will keep us going.

:D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #906 of 2,546

Listening to my N5 as I type this in dac mode from my MacBook pro playing AAC files and listening via the balanced output into my HiFiman HE400i phones and the sound is fabulous! Great DAP and worth every penny. Fantastic bang for the buck! Thank you Cayin. Cheers.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #907 of 2,546
Hi guys! I noticed that my N5 gets pretty hot while playing. Cannot be sure how much, my guess is it's about 40C. Is it normal? And it's without any case (By the way, I did not find a silicon case in my package).
Could you tell me what about the temperature of yours?

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #911 of 2,546
I just need some brief comparisons from both of you 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #913 of 2,546
Im 2 hrs away in Eugene.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #915 of 2,546
Not that I found. I very much wanted to use the center button during screen off, but there isn't an option for that, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back