Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #856 of 2,546

frankly, already have several customers on the verge of jumping into the N5 for the stellar sound but are holding back because of the seriously lack of grip with the scroll wheel.

Hmm... I am yet to see a DAP that has a scroll wheel that does not have a problem with the scroll wheel.
Maybe the scroll wheel should come to an end and everyone should move on to something like a touchscreen.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #857 of 2,546
  balanced!

have a small but irritating problem with the seriously lack of grip while using the scroll wheel. 

Cayin seriously need to look into a quick fix to the an otherwise really stellar player at this price point.  maybe a little round rubber disc to attach to the wheel giving it much more grip.

This is how I turned (well, actually Whiplash) DITA modular: http://www.head-fi.org/t/774190/dita-the-modular-whiplash-audio-edition
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #858 of 2,546
Andykong

Since there must be uploaded new firmware 2.0 at eng version of Cayin webpage, would you please upload version 1.0 also ?
As for now N5 looks like an abandoned child in comparing with N6. No any firware, no DIY tools, nothing.
It is definitely weird imo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #859 of 2,546
frankly, already have several customers on the verge of jumping into the N5 for the stellar sound but are holding back because of the seriously lack of grip with the scroll wheel.

It takes some re-education. You must put a good bit of pressure on the wheel to avoid slippage. This runs contrary to what we normally want to do with our electronics. But the Cayin N5 is sturdy. It can take it.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #860 of 2,546
The wheel is one of my main con's with the C5, which in general I like.
It is difficult to naivete through thousands of songs with the wheel, or for that matter, hundreds of albums.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #861 of 2,546
It is difficult to naivete through thousands of songs with the wheel, or for that matter, hundreds of albums.

Déjà vu.

This conversation can be found in every DAP thread where the device has a scroll wheel.

The solution is to format your library into groups. Make one folder for artists a-d, make another for e-h, and so on. This reduces the scrolling by a ton.

FiiO users have been doing this for years.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #862 of 2,546

Déjà vu.

This conversation can be found in every DAP thread where the device has a scroll wheel.

The solution is to format your library into groups. Make one folder for artists a-d, make another for e-h, and so on. This reduces the scrolling by a ton.

+100

I'm actually strongly considering a blog post on this for dedicated DAPs in general.

Folder Browsing + good folder organization = a good experience.

Relying on tag-based navigation = not so good in general across the DAPs I've tried.

I do scan the cards in the DAPs db so I can play all music on random for burn-in, but for general use I'm an album listener and only use Folder Browsing.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #863 of 2,546

Your fears are pointless.
All scroll wheel navigation functions are duplicated by buttons.
Same speed, same result.
Nothing to be worried about.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #864 of 2,546
Andykong

Since there must be uploaded new firmware 2.0 at eng version of Cayin webpage, would you please upload version 1.0 also ?
As for now N5 looks like an abandoned child in comparing with N6. No any firware, no DIY tools, nothing.
It is definitely weird imo.

Well, N5 launched on 20 August 2015 in China and we didn't ship anything to oversee until mid September, is it too early to blame Cayin mistreat N5 like an abandoned child? Cayin certainly treated N5 seriously, please wait till Monday and check out the firmware v2.0 update before you come to this conclusion.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #865 of 2,546

Your fears are pointless.
All scroll wheel navigation functions are duplicated by buttons.
Same speed, same result.

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't notice that I could to that.
Cheers.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #866 of 2,546

That sound serious, did you raise your concern to your Cayin contact person immediately? Cayin treasures user feedback and we always take customer opinion serious and tried our best to coordinate the preference and suggestions from different parties, please help us to make our products better then ever. :beerchug:

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #867 of 2,546
Well, N5 launched on 20 August 2015 in China and we didn't ship anything to oversee until mid September, is it too early to blame Cayin mistreat N5 like an abandoned child? Cayin certainly treated N5 seriously, please wait till Monday and check out the firmware v2.0 update before you come to this conclusion.

I am not flaming, sorry if there was misunderstanding.
I am just saying it would be great if your colleagues upload v1.0 too as alternative for those who could be unsatisfied by new sound signature or pause issue.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #868 of 2,546

While we probably cannot change the hardware UI of N5 at this point, but we welcome suggestion from users, so in your experience, which is the better UI design to naivete through thousands of songs or hundreds of albums? We'll have new DAP roll our or redesign our existing DAP in the future, so your suggestion might be our important asset down the road.

Déjà vu.

In my experience, we tends to operate very efficient when we scroll through 2-3 pages content, and efficiency will slow down when we deal with 4 pages onward, and will start o frustrated after we go beyond 7-8 pages. Given N5 will display 6 lines of content in one page, I recommend we organize our Music Library with a folder structure that will have not more then 20 items in one level, and when we have 30 items or more, we should regroup them into smaller folders, and once we need to deal with 50+ items, we'll easily run into frustration.

For example, my current folder structure is 4 levels by nature:
Level 1: Language + M/F/Group/Genre (e.g., Korea male, Hong Kong female, English Group/VA, Classical, ...)
Level 2: Artist
Level 3: Album
Level 4: Title

In normal case, Level 2 Artist and Level 4 Title might go beyond 30 items, therefore I might need to break down the Artist into one more level if needed (Artist A-D, E-H as you suggested). For level 4 File Title, I normally will group all file in single or 2-CD album into one folder, but for Album with 3 CD or more, I'll break the album into CD1, CD2, CD3 etc.

This sound complicated, but once you get organized and get used to the arrangement, you'll find it pretty straight forward to maintain and efficient to use.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #869 of 2,546
I am not flaming, sorry if there was misunderstanding.
I am just saying it would be great if your colleagues upload v1.0 too as alternative for those who could be unsatisfied by new sound signature or pause issue.

Point noted, will remind my website colleagues to add N5 v1.0 firmware to the download site. Sorry for taking the word "abandoned child" too seriously.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #870 of 2,546
Point noted, will remind my website colleagues to add N5 v1.0 firmware to the download site. Sorry for taking the word "abandoned child" too seriously.

No, you had a right to take that seriously. Those were poorly chosen words. The N5 is brand new, and Cayin is all over it, developing firmware, organizing tours, talking with distributors, listening to any and all complaints, comments and suggestions from costumers. The N5 is as far from abandoned as it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back