Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #124 of 2,546
Like the look of the N5 over the N6. I just couldn't get my head past the big round screen, it was quite the eyesore for me, the back looked great though. If this N5 can get close to the sound of the N6 then this could be a winner for sure.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #127 of 2,546
Very nice design!!! Great job Cayin!!!

I want to see N5's functional framework in post #3.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #128 of 2,546
  Like the look of the N5 over the N6. I just couldn't get my head past the big round screen, it was quite the eyesore for me, the back looked great though. If this N5 can get close to the sound of the N6 then this could be a winner for sure.

THe problem for me with the N6 was it's size.
I was hoping the N5 would be much smaller. The quoted dimensions would put it very close to the FiiO X5 (X5ii is smaller).

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #129 of 2,546
Hopefully 3.5mm HO, LO and Coax Digital

Edit: but one of them does look like 2.5mm

Stated in the second post.

HO, LO, and 2.5mm balanced out. It would be nice if at least there was a shared LO/coaxial out like the FiiO DAPs.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #130 of 2,546
Stated in the second post.

HO, LO, and 2.5mm balanced out. It would be nice if at least there was a shared LO/coaxial out like the FiiO DAPs.

post #2 states there will be a 2.5mm balanced output.

It is possible the 3.5mm outputs include digital out, either by way of a shared LO/Coax as you suggest or a shared HO/optical or LO/optical.

Either way it is looking bigger and less flexible than I was hoping...

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #131 of 2,546

I think it looks great and if I know Cayin products, it will be a great performer. I like the size. I have an A&K Jr and while it is a very slick looking unit, I wish it were a little bigger. Call me crazy but I don't like my DAP's too small as I think they may be susceptible to easy damage. I don't want to be afraid to handle it as it may be too fragile, and after all, DAP's are made to be portable and as such must be able to withstand a small amount of abuse while on their travels with us.
Can't wait to read the future reviews on this unit. I am sure the UI will be sorted out as well, unlike you-know-who! I am listening to my Cayin HA-2i desktop amp as I write this and enjoy it very much. Like all my Cayin products it is very well made and very reasonably priced and I hope that Cayin carries on this fine tradition. Cheers.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #134 of 2,546
I personally like when DAP has a little bit of weight to it, feels more comfortable and secure in my hand when I feel that heft.

Ridges to the left of the screen, obviously cosmetic detail, hope Cayin will make them shallow enough not to collect dust.  Otherwise, with a more traditional rectangular shape, hoping for a nice leather case, maybe "dignis" style?

Regarding resemblances to other DAPs, especially with a reference to AP100 or PAW, you guys do realize N5 has a control WHEEL that actually turns to scroll? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back