Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #136 of 2,546

It reminds me of the early transistor radios. It's a nice vibe.

Yeah, a lot of Cayin products have 'retro' flavor, makes it standout from the crowd.  I'm actually curious about ergonomics of using it with one hand.  I assume it will be comfortable in the left hand with thumb reaching to spin the wheel and 3 control buttons on the left as well as volume buttons along the left edge.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #140 of 2,546
I hope N5 will be less powerful then N6, so it will be IEM only, but it will outperform N6 in SQ.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #141 of 2,546
My N6 plays nice with full sized cans and IEMs, so that makes me happy.  I am literally happy with everything about the n6, except the size haha.
But I prefer its form factor to the HM901.

Its bigger but not as "chunky".
However when you strap the n6 to an amp like I am currently with the c5d review unit, it becomes a touch unwieldy lol.  I am just saying, but if someone were to mug me, I would not hesitate to use it as a weapon with no fear of damaging it :p

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #142 of 2,546
  I hope N5 will be less powerful then N6, so it will be IEM only, but it will outperform N6 in SQ.

Maybe I read it between the lines or a wishful thinking, but I thought it was the intention of N5 to be "less of a flagship" in terms of driving power to conserve battery and to be intended for portable headphone use.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #143 of 2,546
  My N6 plays nice with full sized cans and IEMs, so that makes me happy.  I am literally happy with everything about the n6, except the size haha.
But I prefer its form factor to the HM901.

Its bigger but not as "chunky".
However when you strap the n6 to an amp like I am currently with the c5d review unit, it becomes a touch unwieldy lol.  I am just saying, but if someone were to mug me, I would not hesitate to use it as a weapon with no fear of damaging it :p

That is a beauty of N6, it doesn't need any external amp, unless you want to squeeze every drop of the performance to get a slightly better soundstage width/depth - then a pair up with C5 will give you that marginal improvement.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #144 of 2,546

That is a beauty of N6, it doesn't need any external amp, unless you want to squeeze every drop of the performance to get a slightly better soundstage width/depth - then a pair up with C5 will give you that marginal improvement.

Indeed.
I would never usually do so, I am only doing it for 2 reasons.
1) Reviewing the Amp side of the Cayin c5d
2) the n6 does not work with my 4 pole headphones.  It literally has no output.  So while I dont currently have my main cans, only my backups, I cannot use the N6.

When I first got my n6 I went to Jaben and tried it with my favourite portable amp, the GoVibe Portatube.  Apart from some tonality change (due to tube stage), I felt the combination was in no way technically better than the n6 directly.  And this was from my Ref1s, to the LCD-X to the PM1 etc.

Its a beast.

Regarding the N5, I am really eager to see what they come up with.  While the c5 was a great entry, the c5d is a great little amp, with the dac lagging a little (but that is being picky and after listening to it using the n6 on dac duty), the n6 beast, they have really come into the portable market swinging.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #145 of 2,546
There is always a memorable time, there is always a memorable story.

This is defined at the outset N5 originally designed. WALKMAN, tape, etc., which as a mark of an era, once in our lives, a student occupies an important position, he should be remembered.

N5 is such a product, we use our technology and design once again trying to get people to have this memory. Of course, these are the appearance of the product we strive to achieve, the sound, and we will continue to retain the character of CAYIN products and sound understanding, now the N5 ongoing tests and experiments, in order to ensure stability after he formally listed.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #146 of 2,546

This is defined at the outset N5 originally designed. WALKMAN, tape, etc., which as a mark of an era, once in our lives, a student occupies an important position, he should be remembered.

N5 is such a product, we use our technology and design once again trying to get people to have this memory. Of course, these are the appearance of the product we strive to achieve, the sound, and we will continue to retain the character of CAYIN products and sound understanding, now the N5 ongoing tests and experiments, in order to ensure stability after he formally listed.

What a good timing to mention Walkman, since it celebrated its 36th anniversary yesterday :)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/happy-36th-birthday-sony-walkman

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #147 of 2,546

To be as iconic as the Walkman is a lofty goal. If the N5 is even partially as iconic, it'll be quite the player!

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #148 of 2,546
Thomas, can you confirm the N5 doesn't have a coax out? Many of us love a great portable, but like connecting to a Hugo, or similar DAC, at home.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #150 of 2,546
I think NO for bluetooth and YES for digital output
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back