Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jun 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #61 of 2,546

Hello Everyone,

We are really apprecaited for your followup on our next model of DAP. All of you are correct and our next model number is N5.

We can release some general information over here about N5. It takes the same display as N6. Of course we will re-define the UI and operation of the new N5. In regard with the size information which you concerned most it is much smaller than N6. However we are sorry that we cannot disclose the detail size of it now as we are still optimizing the design of the product including the feeling of handling in hands and details. Cayin, us do not want to transfer any unconfirmed information. It is not a responsible attitude to do so.

As for the part of DAC N5 is using AKM 4490 which can do DSD native decoding and seprate volume control IC too. As the DACs are different the hardware and amplification part will be also different from N6. Once we have finished design and confirmed on the sound test we will have a block to show you the design together with the specifications.

Oh sorry. We have sevral other important changed not mentioned. In N5 we have cancelled the internal storage. Instead we have double TF card. It supports USB 3.0 and has 2.5 balance headphone jacket. 

As above we have seen you have give some suggestions and we are really appreciated for that. Cayin our team will work at our best to do better because of your support and expectation. In fact our N5 project is at its final development stage and we will disclose more and more information accroding to our product development progress.

Cheers everyone and thanks very much.

Best regards,

Cayin Team

Thanks for the information. Double TF cards will be welcomed by many users, as will USB 3.0. The balanced headphone jack sounds innovative. Great to know that input from thread participants is being noted.

I will post this information at the beginning of the thread for new subscribers.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #62 of 2,546
Two card slots, USB 3.0, and balanced out......... N5 just jumped to my front list of new DAP to purchase! :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 2,546
Two card slots, USB 3.0, and balanced out......... N5 just jumped to my front list of new DAP to purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #64 of 2,546
Cayin, can you share any information on the target sound signature you are going for? Basically, will the N5 share the N6 sound quality, and sound signature?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #67 of 2,546
Guys I have never heard any AKM dac chip. What you think, is it good one compared with ESS, BB, Cirrus?

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #68 of 2,546
  Guys I have never heard any AKM dac chip. What you think, is it good one compared with ESS, BB, Cirrus?

Asahi Kasei Microsystems is the company's full name. You can find a lot of information about the company on the Internet, if you have faith.

In fact, in recent years in addition to ESS outside, TI has not been updated for a long time have a higher standard decoding capability of the chip. The AKM is one of a few.

Oh, yes, if you have a concern that one of the most expensive DAP, AK380, you will find that we use the same chip.

CAYIN this year there will be four new product launches, in addition to N5, we have a small desktop and desktop balanced DAC amp, as well as a desktop amp tubes, AKM DAC chip products both in the subsequent plan to use, of course, we have our way of tuning and selection of combinations.

Thank you for attention.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #69 of 2,546

We are looking forward to news... any news... even a blurry, poorly lit photo... some kind of hint... pleeeeeeeeeze!

Under normal circumstances, CAYIN accustomed to when things have been clear plan and schedule, we will send the right message outside, because we do not want to wait for the blind.

As of now there appears N5 information, in fact, has not yet officially listed at N6, N5 also started design, so far, we have dozens of sound program completed the assessment, but also to be the final confirmation only when we believe that this accord CAYIN's requirements, he will be officially on the market, even if it is only for evaluation.

In fact, N6 is to do so, as here N6 post ANDY author, he is one of N6 testers.

Today, I have said some of the information that is already in 2015 and will gradually show up in the implementation.

Cheers! My friends

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #70 of 2,546
  CAYIN this year there will be four new product launches, in addition to N5, we have a small desktop and desktop balanced DAC amp, as well as a desktop amp tubes, AKM DAC chip products both in the subsequent plan to use, of course, we have our way of tuning and selection of combinations.

Wow! Even more to be excited about. Will be interested to see how the desktop DAC/Amp turns out.

Under normal circumstances, CAYIN accustomed to when things have been clear plan and schedule, we will send the right message outside, because we do not want to wait for the blind.

As of now there appears N5 information, in fact, has not yet officially listed at N6, N5 also started design, so far, we have dozens of sound program completed the assessment, but also to be the final confirmation only when we believe that this accord CAYIN's requirements, he will be officially on the market, even if it is only for evaluation.

Understood. The need to keep information secret until design is finalized is logical. It is also natural that users of the N6 and C5 - impressed with the quality of those products - would be impatient for clues on a new Cayin product. Looking forward to learning more about the N5 when the time is right.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #71 of 2,546

Asahi Kasei Microsystems is the company's full name. You can find a lot of information about the company on the Internet, if you have faith.

In fact, in recent years in addition to ESS outside, TI has not been updated for a long time have a higher standard decoding capability of the chip. The AKM is one of a few.

Oh, yes, if you have a concern that one of the most expensive DAP, AK380, you will find that we use the same chip.

Thank you for attention.

Thomas, that is a fantastic news about use of AKM AK4490 DAC and a balanced 2.5mm TRRS output.  Should I draw a conclusion you are going to utilize this DAC to a full potential running in 2-channel dual mode?
wink.gif

I like 2.5mm balanced mode implementation used in A&K DAPs and have tested AK120ii with a lot of different cables going back'n'forth between 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced output.  Also, AK4414 DAC used in Luxury&Precision LP5 sounds very good, and it's a step down from 4490 implemented in AK380 and your upcoming N5, another great news!

This is definitely a very exciting announcement about N5.  Also, makes me wonder that in theory N5 should be a smaller and scaled down version of N6, but it could shape up to be a more feature packed DAP.  Most likely amp section will be less powerful, which should be perfect for IEMs and portable/efficient full size cans.  Just hope battery life will be at least 10hrs (or more!!!) and I hope you will be able to price it competitively.  Between X5ii, Lotoo 5000, AK Jr, AP300, etc, looks like $350-$500 bracket is popular with a price somewhere in the middle being a sweet spot.

Also, you didn't mention anything about Bluetooth, right?

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #72 of 2,546
Exciting news! Thought it would be an N6 mini, but less battery and amp power. DAC change and balanced connectors intriguing.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #74 of 2,546

Thomas, that is a fantastic news about use of AKM AK4490 DAC and a balanced 2.5mm TRRS output.  Should I draw a conclusion you are going to utilize this DAC to a full potential running in 2-channel dual mode?
wink.gif

I like 2.5mm balanced mode implementation used in A&K DAPs and have tested AK120ii with a lot of different cables going back'n'forth between 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced output.  Also, AK4414 DAC used in Luxury&Precision LP5 sounds very good, and it's a step down from 4490 implemented in AK380 and your upcoming N5, another great news!

This is definitely a very exciting announcement about N5.  Also, makes me wonder that in theory N5 should be a smaller and scaled down version of N6, but it could shape up to be a more feature packed DAP.  Most likely amp section will be less powerful, which should be perfect for IEMs and portable/efficient full size cans.  Just hope battery life will be at least 10hrs (or more!!!) and I hope you will be able to price it competitively.  Between X5ii, Lotoo 5000, AK Jr, AP300, etc, looks like $350-$500 bracket is popular with a price somewhere in the middle being a sweet spot.

Also, you didn't mention anything about Bluetooth, right?

Oh wow, you really powerful intuition.

Yes, I did not mention Bluetooth, N5 does not have this feature. He was just a real local music system.

Endurance and volume information on after we determined by CAYIN officially announced.

My job will be more exchanges with you here, but CAYIN information released will be more accurate.

THX.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #75 of 2,546
I was looking for a Cayin N6 that had been on a diet, but gained an extra card slot and maybe OTG.
Hopefully the N5 will keep the N6's 3 separate output jacks and DSD passthrough over coax.
Internal power sufficient for IEMs but still keeping the expansion options is sure to be a winner.

Edit: USB 3.0 will make up for any lack of OTG...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back