Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Apr 20, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #1,801 of 2,546
Last firmware 3.0 has limitation up to 15000 files.
You can read it at fw's changelog
http://en.cayin.cn/news_view.asp?id=802

PS If you have fw 2.0 you were wondering what happens with 12 000 files. So now it is not that bad for you :)

So, the files are there and can be chosen still, it's just that the memory can only hold 14,996 or whatever?

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,802 of 2,546
So, the files are there and can be chosen still, it's just that the memory can only hold 14,996 or whatever?

I suppose this limitation is just for Music Library and you can find those tracks via folder operation.
But  in reality i have no idea, never use mp3 with so many files..
So if you defifntely know what folders and what are the tracks in there, you can try by yourself.
Or wait official response from Cayin's representative Andykong

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,803 of 2,546

I expect you'll be pleased as the pairing is very good, let alone the Zero earphone. I didn't just pop in to promote Zero here.

More so the pairing between the N5 / Zero earphone.

I was listening to it all day yesterday on/off and the first thing I reached for this morning was the same thing.

Let us know what you think. 

Seems Zero is quite fenomenal for the price, I tested UE TF10 & ATH-iM03 with N5 and i like them both, how's zero compared to them? 

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,804 of 2,546
Seems Zero is quite fenomenal for the price, I tested UE TF10 & ATH-iM03 with N5 and i like them both, how's zero compared to them? 

Its been so long since I heard TF10, would you believe I've owned them 4 times since joining Head-fi? O_O

Expect the Zero to be thicker, warmer heavier note weight, but I really won't be surprised if you found Zero quite a lot more detailed.

N5 regardless is a match made for Shozy Zero you can't go wrong. It's my GOTO setup for N5 and visa versa.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,805 of 2,546
Its been so long since I heard TF10, would you believe I've owned them 4 times since joining Head-fi? O_O

Expect the Zero to be thicker, warmer heavier note weight, but I really won't be surprised if you found Zero quite a lot more detailed.

N5 regardless is a match made for Shozy Zero you can't go wrong. It's my GOTO setup for N5 and visa versa.

Alright, I'm convinced right now. Next purchase, zero! Thanks man :)

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,806 of 2,546

Nice, I like the Shozy stamped on the jack and Zero on the "Y" splitter
wink_face.gif
THX H2O
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,807 of 2,546
Got a good 4-5 hours of listening in today at work. Pretty much blown away. Used in low gain with JVC HA FXT100 and the results were pretty special. Spent over 300 hours listening to the xduoo x3, so compared to that player, N5 has much taller soundstage. Maybe a little less width but more height, and the space/separation is ridiculous. Was floored multiple times at how much air there seemed to be in between instruments/sounds. X3 Xduoo is great sounding despite its flaws, and at $100 or less is a steal. N5 is going to be my friend for a very long time I think.

Amazing considering 10 years ago I paid $350 for my iPod 80gb video(I still have it and use it) and last week I paid $320 for this N5. Think about that!

Crazy!

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,810 of 2,546
  Also was wondering what anyone thought about all the roll-off settings? I honestly didn't hear any difference between any of them. Anybody have a favorite setting?

I don't really hear much difference between the filters, even using quite revealing IEMs. (its quite normal not to)

Andy can probably explain much better than I can, but if you google each filter (they're DAC filters) you can gather a description.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,811 of 2,546
Maybe this will help, idk
http://archimago.blogspot.co.id/2013/06/measurements-digital-filters-and.html?m=1

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,812 of 2,546
I don't really hear much difference between the filters, even using quite revealing IEMs. (its quite normal not to)

Andy can probably explain much better than I can, but if you google each filter (they're DAC filters) you can gather a description.

Me either, even with TOTL multi-BA IEM...

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,813 of 2,546
Hows everyone's scroll wheel holding up, still firm to spin with clicks?

No problems here, just like to hear from some long term owners.

Have been buried by preparation work on i5 announcement, so my belated report to concur that my N5 navigation wheel is working alright, feel much better after getting use to it, the first month is difficult because I am adjusting and the wheel is also adjusting itself. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 21, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,814 of 2,546
Headfonia has just reviewed this DAP with some interesting comparisons with DX80, X5II etc. See http://www.headfonia.com/review-cayin-n5-ribbed-pleasure/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back