Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #91 of 649
Definitely one of the highlights of the CJ NYC'24 show for me, in Tube-Classic mode from 4.4mm BAL output :wink:

1710040110625.png
The JAN 6418 miniature pentodes only have a barely visible faint glow. What we see here is the glow of amber LEDs emulating glowing tube filaments. Nothing to really complain about because the JAN 6418 does put out some nice tubey sound in triode mode and cleaner sound in pentode (ultra linear) mode. I have three portable hybrid tube amps, and while I don't mind doing a DAP and amp stack, the N3Ultra will be a nice compact, pocketable hybrid tube DAP. I've always been interested in the N3Pro, but passed on it due to the tube timbre only available at the 3.5mmSE output. Knowing that the N3Ultra is not using a true fully balanced hybrid tube amp section for the 4.4mmBal output isn't a detractor for me, so I'm looking forward to the April release.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #92 of 649
Tube glow has winning superiority over a larger screen, maybe they were thinking of battery life?
The glowing effect in N3Ultra is not tube glowing, unfortunately. We have installed LED backlight to exaggerate the tube glowing if JAN6418, we have done this with N3Pro, and we have repeated the visual effect here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...with-vacuum-tube.938211/page-53#post-15857088

PS. We didn't want to mislead our customers, so we bring this up as steaight forward as possible, and included this explanation in the FAQ of N3Pro

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #93 of 649
For a week I have been delving into the topic of tubes in portable devices on several threads.
DAP with tubes is a whole long path of problems and mutually exclusive adversities:
-Screen right above the tubes - potential interference
-The tubes get warm - this may affect the durability of the screen and the comfort of use over time
-The tubes may vibrate in the DAP - and this affects the music, so can I wear it and is it still a DAP?
-Of course, the tubes wear out after quite a long time - but will they be easy to replace?
-The tubes requires electricity - and in DAP we only have a battery
-Even two tubes - and they still cannot work in balanced mode because see the point above and there is no space to mount the required 4 tubes.
-Tubes AN6418 and Korg Nutubes ltubes are sensitive to electromagnetic interference - so you need to turn off WiFi and BT.
-Is the use of tubes just a "sugar coating" and act as a buffer before amplification - does it make sense?

I am not discouraged, on the contrary, the more I read, the more curious
I am about this issue and the level of advancement and complexity of the project and what new things they will bring to the market.

Caiyn is already known projects with tubes such as C9 and N30LE,
Astell & Kern is SP2000T, CA1000T.
Both companies have extensive experience in this field, but which of them will be better able to implement JAN6418 lamps in the new portable N3Ultra or SP3000T projects?
Will two different budgets allow this?

This is not a clash of audio giants based on specification numbers, but a fight against the laws of physics and showing the skills of their engineers.
I'm looking forward to testing them when I can.:L3000:

PS. @Andykong Respect for your accessible and accurate descriptions of Cayin products and explanations of the details we ask about.
You are a role model for other companies.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #94 of 649
Can the n3ultra player OS have custom playlist and that you can easily add songs and rearrange song orders within the playlist? Is it based on Hiby's player app? I am asking because Hiby player app (which i use on Hiby r6pro2) whilst it allows you to add songs to a custom created playlist, you cannot rearrange songs order within it which is beyond my understanding why and defeats the purpose of a custom playlist.
Does EQ work globally also?

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #96 of 649
Greetings!
I'd like to as whether the PEQ would support separate equalization for R and L channels.

Never heard of such thing before, ever. Curious, why would you want to adjust the EQ differently between L and R channels which going to destroy the original mix of the audio track? You can adjust the balance between L/R, apply other effects which can affect stereo separation, etc., but, honestly, I can't think of a reason to adjust EQ separately between L and R channels.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #97 of 649
Never heard of such thing before, ever. Curious, why would you want to adjust the EQ differently between L and R channels which going to destroy the original mix of the audio track? You can adjust the balance between L/R, apply other effects which can affect stereo separation, etc., but, honestly, I can't think of a reason to adjust EQ separately between L and R channels.
This is a relatively common feature one can find in software of Q5K, PowerAMP, PeaceEQ etc. It is not meant to alter the original mix, but rather to address issues of channel imbalance of the headphones/IEMs or to correct the FR according to individual's hearing.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #99 of 649
At the moment the understanding I have from the audio community is we are shifting from a less digital sounding DACs to more "life like/natural airy/" "better Vynl" As of today I've had Q5s and BTR5 for portable and they sound "DIGITAL" fatiguing to the ear after 1hr.

My feedback now is I wouldn't purchase another portable unit until newer tech is implamented to resolve this issue.
Currently I see flag ship manufacture shifting to R2R to resovle this (Denafrips)

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #100 of 649
At the moment the understanding I have from the audio community is we are shifting from a less digital sounding DACs to more "life like/natural airy/" "better Vynl" As of today I've had Q5s and BTR5 for portable and they sound "DIGITAL" fatiguing to the ear after 1hr.

My feedback now is I wouldn't purchase another portable unit until newer tech is implamented to resolve this issue.
Currently I see flag ship manufacture shifting to R2R to resovle this (Denafrips)
Interesting comment, i agree digital can be fatiguing, i have found the best (not perfect like vinyl playback but ok) are n3pro or chord mojo 1 fed from coax via dx200 or from usb from laptop coupled with meze 99/sennheiser momentum 2 wired/oppo pm3

d

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #102 of 649
I have auditioned the N3Ultra at CanJam.
All I can say for sure, is that it met (and maybe even exceeded?) my expectations.

I love my N3Pro, but was hoping for faster (MUCH faster) user interface, and tube goodness in balanced 4.4mm headphone (IEM) output. Both wishes were met.
I only spent 10-15 minutes with it, playing songs that are NOT my usual test tracks (whatever was on the microSD card inside the N3Ultra), so hard to provide feedback as to the sound quality. The feel of the hardware was a little more premium than the N3Pro. For me, it is definitely a buy!

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #105 of 649
I'm intrigued - Can I confirm that the tube works with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm? What got me confused is:

"the tube timber circuit can only facilitate single-ended phone out, the balanced phone out is solid-state only"

and this

Yes, Tube Timbre will apply to all FOUR analog outputs, namely the
  • 3.5mm single-ended phone out,
  • 4.4mm balanced phone out,
  • 3.5mm single-ended line out, and
  • 4.4mm balanced line out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back