Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #616 of 769
I was hopefull the ring light would have gotten a tweak to use night mode to lower its brightness. The other fixes are a welcome change.
Black magic marker applied appropriately will dim the ring light. It was part of the upgrade package... just joking.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #617 of 769
Album art thumbnails continue to be problematic. I went through all my albums and tracks to resize the embedded art to 500x500 and on some screens there is a thumbnail, on other screens the same album art thumbnail does not show at all. I guess instead of rescanning, maybe it's better to wipe the database and scan from scratch? Not even sure if that will resolve anything.
i have this problem as well previosly. i noticed that those that the album art does not show, that particular folder does not have a "cover.jpg" in that particular album folder while those that shows the album art all have "cover.jpg" in their folder.

So what i did was use mp3tag and select the whole music folder and extract their embedded album art into "cover.jpg" into their particular folder.
All my albums are showing their album art correctly now.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #618 of 769
i have this problem as well previosly. i noticed that those that the album art does not show, that particular folder does not have a "cover.jpg" in that particular album folder while those that shows the album art all have "cover.jpg" in their folder.

So what i did was use mp3tag and select the whole music folder and extract their embedded album art into "cover.jpg" into their particular folder.
Thanks, will give that a try.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #619 of 769

I also found this generally works. You can perform a batch embedded album art extraction in mp3tag that saves the album art as a separate file named "cover.jpg" in the root folder. Kind of a hassle, but wasn't too painful to do. I still do have some random albums that don't display properly as thumbnails, but I haven't spent the time to troubleshoot those.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #620 of 769
Album art thumbnails continue to be problematic. I went through all my albums and tracks to resize the embedded art to 500x500 and on some screens there is a thumbnail, on other screens the same album art thumbnail does not show at all. I guess instead of rescanning, maybe it's better to wipe the database and scan from scratch? Not even sure if that will resolve anything.
Is all the album art in the same format ie: .jpg or .png?

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #621 of 769
Since getting the N3U I haven't had any problems with the album covers ("front.jpg"). I always check the albums from the metadata editing base...

Screenshot_2024-04-29-16-28-27-969_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #622 of 769
regarding the firmware update, is it not possible or not viable to add a "Album Artist" category as mentioned by quite a few people in previous posts?

The "fix" for this is to use mp3tag to copy "album artist" tag to "artist" so the database gets generated and sorted the way you want it to. I've also done this to solve the issue with the word "The" not getting ignored for artists since many DAPs do not have this option. You simply remove the "The" from the artist field in mp3tag or change it to "Beatles, The" as an example. While an option to ignore "The" in the scan settings would be ideal, using mp3tag is a way to fix this now without having to wait for Cayin to incorporate this into a future firmware update.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #624 of 769
Have you tried restarting the N3U while connected to your N7?
It's what I need to do to get it into DAC mode when connecting to my phone.
I couldn’t spot it yet firmly but I don’t reboot N3U to get in DAC mode with iPhone. Sometimes it worked when it was in sleep mode (screen off) and iPhone is on with any app running (Tidal, Qobuz etc) and connecting OTG cable first to iPhone and after to N3U switched to DAC mode. Today it didn’t work from the first attempt and I had to snooze N3U a couple of times before the workflow worked again.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #625 of 769

I have added Album Art display priority to the FAQ of N3Ultra (Post #2), this will explain the options that enable the N3Ultra to recognize your album art and the options that are available to you in the case of embedded album art is not recognized,

The complete album art display priority are as follows:
  1. Embedded album Art (jpg, png, bmp)
  2. Picture file using music file name in the same folder, e.g: Hotel California.jpg
  3. "Front" picture file in the same folder, e.g., front.jpg
  4. "Cover" picture file in the same folder, e.g., cover.jpg
  5. "Folder" picture file in the same folder, e.g., folder.jpg
We accept three different photo file formats, and they are priorities as jpg > png > bmp, just in case you have more than 1 file format in the same folder, we'll pick the file according to this sequence.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #628 of 769
Updated mine too, very detailed guides. Appreciate it

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #629 of 769
@Andykong after the update the screen turns on randomly. It’s done it a couple of times now during playback and even without anything playing and no headphone in. I took headphones out paused playback turned the screen off set it down and timed it to around 3.5 minutes until it turned the screen on by itself. Then shut it down, turned it on and turned off the screen without playing any music or changing anything, set it down and 12 seconds later it turned on by itself. hardware wise nothing seems loose and it never did this before the sw update … has anyone else reported similar issues ? What might it be ? Could you make original sw available to reinstall ?

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #630 of 769
I have also tried switching to solid state timbre and still it turned the screen on after about 2 min without me touching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back