Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #586 of 674
The N3 Ultra is a very resolving DAP , more so than my A&K Kann Max that's huge praise.

Anyone looking for a super warm experience look elsewhere in comparison my Shanling M8 and even more so now the M5 Ultra gives a much warmer smoothed over sound.

Me I am tickled pink . Modern tube
20240426_184700.jpg
mode 4.4 Out to the XDUOO XD05 Pro is a surreal experience.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #587 of 674
(

N3Ultra is, by circuit design, equivalent to a hybrid Tube pre and solid state output stage amplifier for speaker applications, it will vastly different from output transformer coupled single-end triode amplifier if that was your baseline of tube amplifier, even push pull pentode tube amplifier sounds very different from SETA.
Thank you for the clarification. I should have checked before buying N3U because I was expecting a warm tube sound but that is not exactly what I got. When we hear tubes, we always think that the sound will be organic and warm

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #588 of 674
The N3 Ultra is a very resolving DAP , more so than my A&K Kann Max that's huge praise.

Anyone looking for a super warm experience look elsewhere in comparison my Shanling M8 and even more so now the M5 Ultra gives a much warmer smoothed over sound.

Me I am tickled pink . Modern tube 20240426_184700.jpgmode 4.4 Out to the XDUOO XD05 Pro is a surreal experience.

And what about the cymbals? I am extremely sensitive in that part of the spectrum, so I suppose for your words that I should go for the m5u, but the m6u didnt make the trick for me in this aspect

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #589 of 674
And what about the cymbals? I am extremely sensitive in that part of the spectrum, (...)
It is clear that each one will have their preferences based on their deficiencies. Being 18 years old will never be the same as being 60... In my listening experience (65 years old), this N3U is warm and therefore pleasant to my ears, and as @ToneDeafMonk says, this DAP has great resolution and I love that. Very balanced in treble, medium and bass. Choose your headphones well. In my case, it is a pleasure when I connect my ISN Audio NEO 5, with good bass, rich voices and very pleasant highs, nothing sibilant.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #591 of 674
It is clear that each one will have their preferences based on their deficiencies. Being 18 years old will never be the same as being 60... In my listening experience (65 years old), this N3U is warm and therefore pleasant to my ears, and as @ToneDeafMonk says, this DAP has great resolution and I love that. Very balanced in treble, medium and bass. Choose your headphones well. In my case, it is a pleasure when I connect my ISN Audio NEO 5, with good bass, rich voices and very pleasant highs, nothing sibilant.
I know, I ask him because he is very similar to me in sound preferences and also pina sensitive. But its obvius that I am very young (28) and I struggle more than most people here. My iems arent bright I use the pula pa02

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #592 of 674
I know, I ask him because he is very similar to me in sound preferences and also pina sensitive. But its obvius that I am very young (28) and I struggle more than most people here. My iems arent bright I use the pula pa02
Pairings are super important, The Pula PA02 would be perfect and it is on this DAP because the N3 Ultra can bring out the finer details for more laid back pina gain IEM'S and relaxed highs with excellent extention like the Pula are a real treat. Cymbals are a real treat nicely rendered and accurate not overly saturated for me.

I am 54 and still hear quite well the upper registers and have a treble sensitivity so there is that. My ears won't be as good as a person in thier 20's nor as sensitive to Higher frequencies.

I find the N3U can bring out vocals and instrumental in the mids and does a great job, now as for IEM'S with a bigger upper mids boost it's the wrong pairing DTE900
graph-25.png

Too much information overload.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #593 of 674
Pairings are super important, The Pula PA02 would be perfect and it is on this DAP because the N3 Ultra can bring out the finer details for more laid back pina gain IEM'S and relaxed highs with excellent extention like the Pula are a real treat. Cymbals are a real treat nicely rendered and accurate not overly saturated for me.

I am 54 and still hear quite well the upper registers and have a treble sensitivity so there is that. My ears won't be as good as a person in thier 20's nor as sensitive to Higher frequencies.

I find the N3U can bring out vocals and instrumental in the mids and does a great job, now as for IEM'S with a bigger upper mids boost it's the wrong pairing DTE900
Too much information overload.
And how do you like the DTE 900 on the M5 Ultra? I ordered the M5 Ultra today and it will arrive at the beginning of the week. Next I wanted to get the DTE 900 and listen to direct on the M5U. Would you say thumbs up or down like with the N3U??

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #594 of 674
I find the N3U can bring out vocals and instrumental in the mids and does a great job, (...)
I confirm it, that's why my enjoyment with the NEO 5, with rich, natural mids, presence and great definition thanks to Cayin's new N3U source...ideal for re-discovering the IEMs that we already have in our collection.

Ah! I also hear the treble perfectly at 65 years old. And with this N3U I don't need the EQ or the PEQ. 😉

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #595 of 674
And how do you like the DTE 900 on the M5 Ultra? I ordered the M5 Ultra today and it will arrive at the beginning of the week. Next I wanted to get the DTE 900 and listen to direct on the M5U. Would you say thumbs up or down like with the N3U??
I believe I answered that when I said "Too much information overload" Its the wrong pairing with the N3U so big thumbs down.
20240427_083027.jpg

The DTE900 is aggressive in the upper mids and treble so the N3U really reveals all the information in a even more forward manner especially in Tube mode.
20240427_082949.jpg

The M5U with its warmer signature balances the upper mids by taming them down a bit and smooths out the entire playback. Big thumbs up with the DTE900
20240427_083722.jpg

On the other side of the coin the Myer-Audio CKLVX D41 and the Shanling ME600 are surreal on the N3 Ultra, with super revealing DAP'S you need to be mindful of your chain.
20240422_154422.jpg

I certainly don't think there is any hard and fast rule, all our ears are different as is our tastes. It a subjective hobby.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #596 of 674
I believe I answered that when I said "Too much information overload" Its the wrong pairing with the N3U so big thumbs down.
20240427_083027.jpg
The DTE900 is aggressive in the upper mids and treble so the N3U really reveals all the information in a even more forward manner especially in Tube mode.
20240427_082949.jpg
The M5U with its warmer signature balances the upper mids by taming them down a bit and smooths out the entire playback. Big thumbs up with the DTE900
20240427_083722.jpg
On the other side of the coin the Myer-Audio CKLVX D41 and the Shanling ME600 are surreal on the N3 Ultra, with super revealing DAP'S you need to be mindful of your chain.
20240422_154422.jpg
I certainly don't think there is any hard and fast rule, all our ears are different as is our tastes. It a subjective hobby.
Thank you for your information and experiences with the devices. Maybe if all the software problems are fixed at some point I might get the N3 Ultra again. But for now I have ordered the M5Ultra and it will arrive next week. Excited to see how it sounds with my ie 600. But as I read from your report, I won't be disappointed with the DTE 900 and the M5U either. Or have I misinterpreted something?

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #598 of 674
Thank you for your information and experiences with the devices. Maybe if all the software problems are fixed at some point I might get the N3 Ultra again. But for now I have ordered the M5Ultra and it will arrive next week. Excited to see how it sounds with my ie 600. But as I read from your report, I won't be disappointed with the DTE 900 and the M5U either. Or have I misinterpreted something?
You won't be disappointed I hope. Read some other impressions on the DTE900 so ypu know what you getting not everyone like a mids forward IEM.

If ypu want to get something safer and that sounds amazing on the M5 U try the SLIIVO SL41

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #600 of 674
Firstly
The Cayin software and user experience feels rushed and not polished with some glaring bugs that should not be on a released product.

The Shanling on the other hand is what a player should be without android, smooth well thought out.

Sound the Cayin Clean , slightly mids forward that seems to sound neutral to ever so slightly thin, detailed and resolving. Add in abit of tube warmth on Modern mode and slightly warmer on Classic mode. This is not a overall warm source. Sounds closer to my Kann Max with thinner mids.

Sound of the M5U is exactly what they said a resolving, warmer DAP with great bass and stage. Sounds closer to my M8 maybe better.

Both are excellent sounding with different tonality. The Cayin I would use for gear with recessed mids and a relaxed top end to give them more life. The Shanling to mellow IEM'S that are too mids forward or bright.
Better than the M8 you say? Could you provide a brief rundown as to what you're hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back