Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #556 of 657
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #557 of 657
PGGB files sound great in Tube mode.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #558 of 657
Firstly
The Cayin software and user experience feels rushed and not polished with some glaring bugs that should not be on a released product.

The Shanling on the other hand is what a player should be without android, smooth well thought out.

Sound the Cayin Clean , slightly mids forward that seems to sound neutral to ever so slightly thin, detailed and resolving. Add in abit of tube warmth on Modern mode and slightly warmer on Classic mode. This is not a overall warm source. Sounds closer to my Kann Max with thinner mids.

Sound of the M5U is exactly what they said a resolving, warmer DAP with great bass and stage. Sounds closer to my M8 maybe better.

Both are excellent sounding with different tonality. The Cayin I would use for gear with recessed mids and a relaxed top end to give them more life. The Shanling to mellow IEM'S that are too mids forward or bright.

Which IEMs did you try with Shanling M5 Ultra? Its rather high (close to 7ohm) BAL output impedance is a bit alarming when it comes to pair-up with many low-impedance IEMs. But, I have yet to try it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #559 of 657
Which IEMs did you try with Shanling M5 Ultra? Its rather high (close to 7ohm) BAL output impedance is a bit alarming when it comes to pair-up with many low-impedance IEMs. But, I have yet to try it.
So far Plunge Audio Prototype, DTE900, Shanling ME600, DITA Project M, HIBY Project Ace, Penon 10th and Twilight

I am not sure what I have with a low impedance never paid too much attention.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #560 of 657
Has anyone been able to get album to album play through to work reliably? I'm not talking about folder play through, though that is essentially the function but with albums.

I've had album play through work randomly, but I can't remember if I selected Artist > selected an album from that artist > selected the first track for playback or if I selected Albums > chose an album > selected first track for playback.

When it randomly works, albums played continuously one after another and when the last album from an artist finished the album of the next artist started playing and so on. When it's not working then only one album plays and stops after the last track plays, then you have to manually play the next album.

I know I'm not crazy, what I described is accurate. This could be a software bug.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #562 of 657
Hello, a question about the N3Ultra, how can you combine individual albums into one?
When I create a new album that contains two CDs, i.e. CD1 and CD2, two albums are always displayed, even though it is one!
Maybe someone can help me there ...
Thanks
I guess it's because you have different tags for CD1 and CD2 respectively. You can use a program like Mp3tag to edit them.
You then set exactly the same album title for both CDs. When you do it like that, you might also start the numbering for the songs on CD2 not from 1, but from last of CD+1. If you had 12 songs on 💿 1, for example, start with 13 for 💿 2.
I used to do it like that in the past, now I prefer simplicity.
I think Mp3tag is free for Windows.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #563 of 657
Hello
I am very interested in the cayin n3 ultra but I just have some questions.

I owned the cayin n3 pro and like it but gave it away because of an ibasso dx300 with streaming.
I like the amp13 tube sound alot. Getting a smaller dap with tubes sounds nice. So.my questions are

1.How does n3 ultra compact to n3 pro in size and sound? I know the screen is bigger now.

2. When using as a dac/amp solutiom with my phone does it have a setting not to drain the battery of the phone or is this default. Or is it always charging when connected as external dac/amp?

3. Does have anyone ibasso dx300 with amp13 and could compare the sound?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Jonathan

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #564 of 657
I guess it's because you have different tags for CD1 and CD2 respectively. You can use a program like Mp3tag to edit them.
You then set exactly the same album title for both CDs. When you do it like that, you might also start the numbering for the songs on CD2 not from 1, but from last of CD+1. If you had 12 songs on 💿 1, for example, start with 13 for 💿 2.
I used to do it like that in the past, now I prefer simplicity.
I think Mp3tag is free for Windows.
Hello, yes, thank you very much for the answer. I've done that sometimes too. Yes, it works . It's a bit complicated when there are sometimes 5 or more CDs in an album. Thanks for the info
sabasabine

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #565 of 657
Hello

I owned the cayin n3 pro and like it but gave it away because of an ibasso dx300 with streaming.
I like the amp13 tube sound alot. Getting a smaller dap with tubes sounds nice. So.my questions are

1.How does n3 ultra compact to n3 pro in size and sound? I know the screen is bigger now.

2. When using as a dac/amp solutiom with my phone does it have a setting not to drain the battery of the phone or is this default. Or is it always charging when connected as external dac/amp?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Jonathan
I can only answer to 2. There is indeed an option called Audio in (no USB power) in which it's not draining the phone's battery. @Andykong has explained this better in here

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #568 of 657
Hello, yes, thank you very much for the answer. I've done that sometimes too. Yes, it works . It's a bit complicated when there are sometimes 5 or more CDs in an album. Thanks for the info
sabasabine
The name of the album should be the same for all CDs, then try using "Disc Number" tag, if there isn't one presently, then add it as a tag for all the tracks. Then use "1/3" for disc 1 of 3, "2/3" for disc 2 of 3, "3/3" for disc 3 of 3, etc. I haven't tried it on the N3Ultra, but have a couple albums on a Sony DAP tagged like that and all the tracks are under one album.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #569 of 657
Hello

Thanks in advance
Cheers Jonathan

I have included this photo in the opening post to compare the N3Pro and N3Ultra side by side:

N3PRO and N3Ultra.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #570 of 657
I have found strange issue with some songs in Tidal. Playing from iPhone, decoding does not work well and you can see on the screen like it switches to on/off, and sound does not go smoothly, some clicking all the time, sometimes it becomes stable and then starts again. USB-Lightning Cable was replaced, iPhone rebooted- no luck. What it could be and how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_9609.gif
    IMG_9609.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back