Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,266 of 2,518
try using the opposite side of the wheel applying gentle pressure inward while adjusting the volume. It helps with mine
if I apply pressure on one side, it registers better.. but this isn't right... and i'm only 1 month out of warranty!

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,267 of 2,518
Has anyone managed to pull out the volume wheel? - it might be it needs some cleaning inside or something..

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,268 of 2,518
Has anyone managed to pull out the volume wheel? - it might be it needs some cleaning inside or something..
I bought mine second hand and have had the same problem with the volume wheel since the day I received it. If I put slight pressure towards the back it works better. I would love to DIY fix it, but the fact that it mostly works with the right pressure is keeping me from opening the case up.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,269 of 2,518
Cayin has just announced our first USB Dongle DAC. The RU6 portable DAC/Amp features an in-house developed 24bit Discrete R-2R resistor ladder circuit that can decode up to 384kHz. Since we don't have another entry level DAP in the pipleline, the RU6 is, to certain extend, our new entry level portable solution to IEM users.

Check it out HERE for more detail, I can promise this is as innovative as putting a pair of vacuum tube into N3Pro.

RU6 Connect to Mobile Phone.jpg

RU6 Sales Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,271 of 2,518
@Andykong - We need a DAP with N3Pro tubes, R2R DAC and better processor for snappy GUI :L3000:
(basically HiBy RS6 but with tube amp section from N3Pro)

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,272 of 2,518
@Andykong - We need a DAP with N3Pro tubes, R2R DAC and better processor for snappy GUI :L3000:
(basically HiBy RS6 but with tube amp section from N3Pro)

It would be nice if the balanced output also had the tubes in the circuit. :ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #2,274 of 2,518
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,275 of 2,518
Cayin has just announced our first USB Dongle DAC. The RU6 portable DAC/Amp features an in-house developed 24bit Discrete R-2R resistor ladder circuit that can decode up to 384kHz. Since we don't have another entry level DAP in the pipleline, the RU6 is, to certain extend, our new entry level portable solution to IEM users.

Check it out HERE for more detail, I can promise this is as innovative as putting a pair of vacuum tube into N3Pro.
Hi, Andy. RU6 looks great, but I'm having some annoying issues with my N3Pro. It's getting to the point where I'm not really listening to it much anymore. The problem is it freezes in bluetooth mode and has to be reset multiple times a day. This seems to happen more when listening via the 4.4mm balanced jack for some reason. I should switch headphones for awhile and see if it's also an issue from the SE 3.5mm jack. I've been using it more and more as a bluetooth receiver and find that I really enjoy the N3Pro this way, but not if I keep having to perform hard resets. My setup is streaming Spotify via my Pixel 5A using the LDAC codec with 7Hz Timeless earphones plugged into the 4.4mm balanced jack. Any other complaints about this issue? Any possibility of a firmware fix, or is there something I can do to make my N3Pro more stable in terms of reinstalling firmware or starting fresh? Thanks!

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,276 of 2,518
Hi, Andy. RU6 looks great, but I'm having some annoying issues with my N3Pro. It's getting to the point where I'm not really listening to it much anymore. The problem is it freezes in bluetooth mode and has to be reset multiple times a day. This seems to happen more when listening via the 4.4mm balanced jack for some reason. I should switch headphones for awhile and see if it's also an issue from the SE 3.5mm jack. I've been using it more and more as a bluetooth receiver and find that I really enjoy the N3Pro this way, but not if I keep having to perform hard resets. My setup is streaming Spotify via my Pixel 5A using the LDAC codec with 7Hz Timeless earphones plugged into the 4.4mm balanced jack. Any other complaints about this issue? Any possibility of a firmware fix, or is there something I can do to make my N3Pro more stable in terms of reinstalling firmware or starting fresh? Thanks!
The BT disconnects are constant. Just pausing a couple of times breaks playback. It’s infuriating since otherwise it works great, with fine range and stability, modern codecs, and no tube interference which is amazing. My phone says it’s connected, the N3Pro says it’s connected, but music isn’t playing. It’s like the BT chip goes to sleep and can’t wake up. The entire DAP freezes and needs a hard reset. I get it from the 3.5, which is the only one I use.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,277 of 2,518
The BT disconnects are constant. Just pausing a couple of times breaks playback. It’s infuriating since otherwise it works great, with fine range and stability, modern codecs, and no tube interference which is amazing. My phone says it’s connected, the N3Pro says it’s connected, but music isn’t playing. It’s like the BT chip goes to sleep and can’t wake up. The entire DAP freezes and needs a hard reset. I get it from the 3.5, which is the only one I use.
Infuriating is the right word. It's a real pain to have to do a hard reset multiple times a day. I almost returned it because of this issue, but it's so good at everything else I'm not ready to see it go yet. Hopefully, there's a solution coming.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,278 of 2,518
I assume you are referring to N3Pro and N6ii.

N3Pro is a purist DAP, it does not have streaming capability and you can't install any app either, so direct playback of Apple Music on N3Pro is out of the question. You can, however, playback Apple Music on an Android mobile phone and connect to N3Pro via USB Audio or LDAC Bluetooth. We recommend using Android mobile phone as source because iPhone don't support Hi-Res Bluetooth, and there is no digital audio output from iPhone unless you add an Apple camera adapter in between.

N6ii is straight forward, you can install Apple Music App on N6ii and playback standard and Hi-res content directly.
If I understood this correctly, the N3Pro does work as a USB dac connected to Android phone? I couldn't find a definitive answer online, only that it works with PC.

If I were to stream Tidal on my phone connected to USB to N3Pro, will it decode full MQA playback? Does streaming Tidal through Bluetooth do any MQA decoding? I'm kinda confused how MQA is supported on the N3Pro.

Yes, N3Pro supports USB Audio in and out, so you can use it as a USB Digital Transport or wired USB DAC.

If you were to use smartphone as source, most latest Android phone should work fine, earlier models might have incompatible OTG problems. If you are using iPhone, you need a camera connection kit or adapter otherwise you won't get any audio signal from the lighting port.

Nvm, this answers the first part of my question. That's good news. :)

Really wished it had a line in instead to make use of the tube amp section with other DACs. That would've been icing on the cake. 🧁

With my phone transmitting 8x MQA thanks to UAPP’s $4 subscription, the N3Pro’s USB DAC says it’s decoding 24/88.2 content. I don’t get full MQA since it’s transmitted by my phone. Perhaps with an LG phone you get full MQA.
And that sort of answers my 2nd question. Excited to try the UAT codec anywho.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #2,279 of 2,518
After using it for almost a month, I am quite satisfied with its performance. It is a quite warm sound when the dap is used, however when the line output is used in 3.5mm or 4.4mm mode it becomes more decisive depending on the amplifier. So far I only have two drawbacks, the first is the EQ that does not work with MQA and files 24/96 upwards and the second is that the last song played is not saved, hopefully they will be considered in a future firmware update. quite happy and satisfied with the player.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #2,280 of 2,518
So just got the N3Pro today but I'm running into some issues.

1. It won't recognize as a USB dac on either my phone or surface laptop. Using the same OTG cable that came with RU6. Tried other cables as well.

2. I having the hardest time getting the firmware to install. Currently it's on v2.1. Downloaded v2.3 on to my microSD card that is formatted in NTFS. Inserted card and it detects that microSD is inserted. But when trying to perform update, says no memory card detected. Same error with OTA.

@Andykong any ideas?

Other than that, it does sound great through Bluetooth on LDAC. UAT works but I get constant connection drops.

All 3 modes sound great to me. SS balanced, triode, and UL. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back