Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 1, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #2,206 of 2,518
As Cayin representative, I can only advice you to send the DAP back to us for repair, trying to open up the DAP or replacement the component will void your warranty and Cayin reserve the right to refuse subsequent service as a result of that. This is the standard disclaimer that you'll find with 3C or consumer electronic products.

For your information, the temper glass back panel is glued at the back, this is the typical method to install temper glass panel in mobile device. Someone has posted a video to disassemble our N6ii. The procedure to disassemble N3Pro is similar. I always advice DAP users to seek help from local mobile phone repair technician if they need to access the battery of your DAP, but be reminded that this will void your warranty.

thank you for your reply, i completely understand that Cayin or any company for that matter will reject any warranty claims if their product has been tampered with by the user, what i meant was repairs made 'outside' of the warranty period.. something like 4+ years after.

my current DAP is 5 years old and far outside of the warranty period, however i replaced the battery myself with an equivalent and it is still working fine, but i am intrigued by the Cayin's tube output so i was just doing my research before purchasing, thanks!

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,207 of 2,518
thank you for your reply, i completely understand that Cayin or any company for that matter will reject any warranty claims if their product has been tampered with by the user, what i meant was repairs made 'outside' of the warranty period.. something like 4+ years after.

my current DAP is 5 years old and far outside of the warranty period, however i replaced the battery myself with an equivalent and it is still working fine, but i am intrigued by the Cayin's tube output so i was just doing my research before purchasing, thanks!

Cayin use Raytueon JAN6418 in N3Pro tube buffer, the tube is widely available in eBay, the problem is installation and calibration. Once you open up the DAP and disassemble the circuit board, replacing the tube is not technically difficult, but installation to preserve the anti-shock capability can be tricky. Quite possible you can get it work but you'll hear more microphonic effect than original installation.

For your information, we use the JAN6418 as tube buffer, it is operated in very low current, and it is suppose to last very long, our estimation is 30K+ hours, I doubt if you need to worry about the lifetime of the tube. If it works faultlessly in the first month, you should be worry free after that.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,208 of 2,518
I was using the n3pro with my hd25 alu (modified by custom cans) and accidentally switched from tube to solid state and was surprised that they sounded better (clearer, more coherent) with the solid state single ended - i had assumed the solid state was an afterthought on single ended and the point of the n3pro was the tube output.

It seems that it depends upon the headphones - any comments on which headphones/iems sound with the n3pro (synergise well with either/or tube/ss) would be interesting.

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,209 of 2,518
I was using the n3pro with my hd25 alu (modified by custom cans) and accidentally switched from tube to solid state and was surprised that they sounded better (clearer, more coherent) with the solid state single ended - i had assumed the solid state was an afterthought on single ended and the point of the n3pro was the tube output.

It seems that it depends upon the headphones - any comments on which headphones/iems sound with the n3pro (synergise well with either/or tube/ss) would be interesting.

I have mentioned many times that the N3Pro solid state is a worthy option, every N3Pro should should give it a serious try.

I feel terrible when someone tease on other users whenever they share or asked about the solid state options of N3Pro. While everyone is entitle to your opinion, but your opinion is always an opinion, it might or might not be relevant because Personal Audio is, as the name indicated, full of personal preference.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,210 of 2,518
I have mentioned many times that the N3Pro solid state is a worthy option, every N3Pro should should give it a serious try.
+1
Andy - any plans for "higher tier" version?
I REALLY love my N3Pro, and my personal biggest dislike is the processor... Balanced 4.4mm driven by tubes would be great, too (I know, need more tubes, but that is fine for more expensive DAP).

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,211 of 2,518
+1
Andy - any plans for "higher tier" version?
I REALLY love my N3Pro, and my personal biggest dislike is the processor... Balanced 4.4mm driven by tubes would be great, too (I know, need more tubes, but that is fine for more expensive DAP).
you mean like this?

20210904.jpg

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,212 of 2,518
you mean like this?

20210904.jpg
Does that accelerate the super-slow N3Pro processor? :laughing:
Joking aside, yes - but in a single (granted bigger) DAP.
A&K are actually going to sell VERY SOON a new DAP with Korg tubes that has balanced output. Very interesting DAP, but VERY pricey...

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #2,213 of 2,518
Just wanted to share some great sounds from this afternoon's listening time. The warmth is so nice with enough details that just made a really engaging session.
N3P>Meze Copper Balanced Cable (and step down Copper interconnect to SE)> Meze 99 Noir. Just a great pairing. Triode Mode.

1630873431328.png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,214 of 2,518
I received a n3 pro just under two weeks ago.. really enjoying the sound but discovered today that if I knock a cable when plugged into the USB c port it disconnects like the port is loose (I was downloading some music files and moved the device slightly). Has anyone else experienced this or am I being to paranoid (I am on a terrible run with faulty daps)

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,215 of 2,518
Does that accelerate the super-slow N3Pro processor? :laughing:
Joking aside, yes - but in a single (granted bigger) DAP.
A&K are actually going to sell VERY SOON a new DAP with Korg tubes that has balanced output. Very interesting DAP, but VERY pricey...
If it's AK, it will be priced about 30% to high.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,216 of 2,518
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,218 of 2,518
Bit of a query here. So currently i own (but selling) a brand new HiBy R3 Pro Saber with 1.6Vrms @ 32 Ohms on the line out (it will be connected to my -- PC (USB)>DAP as DAC>Monolith Liquid Spark>Fostex T60RP. That's option 1 (choosing to keep the Saber)

Option 2 is the same setup but buy a used Cayin N3Pro as the line out DAC (mainly).

My question is, how do the two translate (sorry, no idea being a noob) in terms of power output to the amp? The N3Pro has 3 settings, 1V, 1.5V and 2V @ 10Ohms.
So basically, which of the two would be the better source output for the amp?

(When I connected my phone to Liquid Spark, there was considerably - and understandably - more power coming from the PC motherboard 3.5mm out. ie the T60RPs were louder. So I'm guessing the better the source the better the overall output from the amp..)

One other option is just to wait and get the Liquid Spark DAC when available. Although, I am quite tempted by having an optional DAP (N3Pro or R3 Pro) over the fixed use LS DAC. One thing for sure is i can't afford all of them lol!

So yeah, would the output of the N3Pro be substantially more than the R3 Pro, but a bit less than the dedicated LS DAC? Or would there not be much between the DAPs as line out DAC's. If there's not much difference between the output power i might keep the R3 instead of selling.

One more thing, I've read great reviews on both DAPs, can anyone chip on sound quality between the two?

Sorry to waffle on, over compicated things there a tad me thinks! Cheers
Bottom line, is it worth getting the N3Pro at almost twice the price of the R3 Saber. Oh sod it, someone just convince me to get the N3P and not open the packaging of the R3!!! For the price of the N3P i could get the LP DAC and keep the R3. F@@k it tho, i think i really want the tubes as a portable option. ARrgggghhh

As a side note: I don't mean to sound as though i only care about the power, it's just that in order to get the most out of the T60RPs they need a lot of power. At some point i may get a balanced setup and balanced cables, possibly even get the T60RPs 'argonized'... but until such a time the above will have to do.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,219 of 2,518
Bit of a query here. So currently i own (but selling) a brand new HiBy R3 Pro Saber with 1.6Vrms @ 32 Ohms on the line out (it will be connected to my -- PC (USB)>DAP as DAC>Monolith Liquid Spark>Fostex T60RP. That's option 1 (choosing to keep the Saber)

Option 2 is the same setup but buy a used Cayin N3Pro as the line out DAC (mainly).

My question is, how do the two translate (sorry, no idea being a noob) in terms of power output to the amp? The N3Pro has 3 settings, 1V, 1.5V and 2V @ 10Ohms.
So basically, which of the two would be the better source output for the amp?

(When I connected my phone to Liquid Spark, there was considerably - and understandably - more power coming from the PC motherboard 3.5mm out. ie the T60RPs were louder. So I'm guessing the better the source the better the overall output from the amp..)

One other option is just to wait and get the Liquid Spark DAC when available. Although, I am quite tempted by having an optional DAP (N3Pro or R3 Pro) over the fixed use LS DAC. One thing for sure is i can't afford all of them lol!

So yeah, would the output of the N3Pro be substantially more than the R3 Pro, but a bit less than the dedicated LS DAC? Or would there not be much between the DAPs as line out DAC's. If there's not much difference between the output power i might keep the R3 instead of selling.

One more thing, I've read great reviews on both DAPs, can anyone chip on sound quality between the two?

Sorry to waffle on, over compicated things there a tad me thinks! Cheers
Bottom line, is it worth getting the N3Pro at almost twice the price of the R3 Saber. Oh sod it, someone just convince me to get the N3P and not open the packaging of the R3!!! For the price of the N3P i could get the LP DAC and keep the R3. F@@k it tho, i think i really want the tubes as a portable option. ARrgggghhh

As a side note: I don't mean to sound as though i only care about the power, it's just that in order to get the most out of the T60RPs they need a lot of power. At some point i may get a balanced setup and balanced cables, possibly even get the T60RPs 'argonized'... but until such a time the above will have to do.

If you were to use N3Pro Line Out with an external amplifier, always start with High Line out setting, you should resolve to Mid or Low line out level only when you heard harshness or distortion .

If you look at the Line Out specification of N3Pro, you'll find something the Value of different output level of line out setting. In general , HIGH is the de facto line out level (2V in SE, 4V in BAL), LOW is 50% of standard Line Out level, and MID is 75%.

N3Pro Specification (Line Out).jpg

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,220 of 2,518
to be honest the n3pro took me by surprise how great it sounds
Me too, this little sucker rocks, I just wish it could stream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back