Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 15, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #2,221 of 2,518
+1
Andy - any plans for "higher tier" version?
I REALLY love my N3Pro, and my personal biggest dislike is the processor... Balanced 4.4mm driven by tubes would be great, too (I know, need more tubes, but that is fine for more expensive DAP).

Does that accelerate the super-slow N3Pro processor? :laughing:
Joking aside, yes - but in a single (granted bigger) DAP.
A&K are actually going to sell VERY SOON a new DAP with Korg tubes that has balanced output. Very interesting DAP, but VERY pricey...

You pretty much nailed the problem.

Availability of MCU is always a big issue for purist DAP like N3Pro. No one is making non-Android based MCU with solution for multi-media device.

DAP is a such a niche market that the semiconductor industry can't care less. The MCU of the current "purist" DAP are, in most cases, come from the MP4/video playback devices and non-Android "smartphone" that were commonly available in last (two?) decade. When Android become the industry norm of multimedia and mobile appliance, new MP4/video playback devices and smartphones are all Android based (let's skipped the iOS option for this discussion). The semiconductor industry responds effectively and devoted all their resource to develop MCU with Android system support in mind. As a result, No one is making non-Android based MCU with solution for multi-media device. DAP industry (I know, it is so small that I am not sure if we can all it an industry) is a downstream industry from mobile appliance, when the non-Android based mobile appliance declined, non-Android based DAP are having a hard time to stay competitive.

"Balanced 4.4mm driven by tubes" is definitely desirable, but pricy is only a lesser issue. Adding more tubes will increase the microphonic effect, making the DAP bigger and shorten the battery life, all these lead to the one major consideration: portability.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 15, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,222 of 2,518
Availability of MCU is always a big issue for purist DAP like N3Pro. No one is making non-Android based MCU with solution for multi-media device.

"Balanced 4.4mm driven by tubes" is definitely desirable, but pricy is only a lesser issue. Adding more tubes will increase the microphonic effect, making the DAP bigger and shorten the battery life, all these lead to the one major consideration: portability.
Thank you Andy for the elaborate response.
I wonder what other non-Android DAPs use as their processor... :thinking:
A&K is one brand that comes to mind - they only specify "quad core" or "octa core" but not a specific processor.
Regardless, I realize the processor options are VERY limited, and I do understand the issues with added number of tubes.
I just hope that at some point the smart Cayin engineers would come up with good solutions (or acceptable compromises) for enabling a higher-tier model. For now, I am enjoying my N3Pro :)

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,223 of 2,518
Thank you Andy for the elaborate response.
I wonder what other non-Android DAPs use as their processor... :thinking:
A&K is one brand that comes to mind - they only specify "quad core" or "octa core" but not a specific processor.
Regardless, I realize the processor options are VERY limited, and I do understand the issues with added number of tubes.
I just hope that at some point the smart Cayin engineers would come up with good solutions (or acceptable compromises) for enabling a higher-tier model. For now, I am enjoying my N3Pro :)
I could be wrong, but I believe AK DAP are Android based.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,224 of 2,518
You're right, A&K use Android, but a slightly customized version.

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,225 of 2,518
Andy, what about the processor used in the N8 DAP?
I believe it has a more powerful processor?

Sep 15, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,226 of 2,518
Andy, what about the processor used in the N8 DAP?
I believe it has a more powerful processor?
N8 and N3Pro use the same CPU, different suffix only so the N8 CPU has more memory.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,227 of 2,518
If we read between the lines (what Andy told us) the N3Pro is just a compromise. But a very smart one :L3000:
We have a good battery stamina, quick startup, support for all common file types (even DSD) and 3 different sound signatures - all this in a really small package.

And, at least for me the N3Pro was a door-opener into the Cayin world ...

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #2,228 of 2,518
all this in a really small package.
Oh how far we've come to call this really small:joy:

Personally it borders on the edge of what i'd consider portable.

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,230 of 2,518
I was considering picking up the Oriolus, but is it really all that much better compared to the tubes on the Cayin (ignoring the additional power it provides)?
In all honesty it is a novelty in my collection. Although it doesn't degrade the signal to my ears (IEM dependent)

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,232 of 2,518
Big N3 Pro fan here, unfortunately my unit is for want of a better word... De-cayin.

It has never been roughly handled, one day the screen just started separating by itself at the bottom and is now getting worse, extending up all around.

Is this a common issue?

It is not water damage or anything like that - one day the unit was fine and then next day it wasn't.

IMG_20211003_005224.jpg

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,233 of 2,518
Big N3 Pro fan here, unfortunately my unit is for want of a better word... De-cayin.

It has never been roughly handled, one day the screen just started separating by itself at the bottom and is now getting worse, extending up all around.

Is this a common issue?

It is not water damage or anything like that - one day the unit was fine and then next day it wasn't.

IMG_20211003_005224.jpg

On some DAPs, the screen gets pushed out when the battery begins failing and swells up.
I've seen it happen on a Shanling M1, and on my much more expensive Onkyo DP-X1B.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,234 of 2,518

Is this a common issue?

@DBaldock9 is correctly, swelled battery is the most likely cause, you have to send the DAP back to factory for repair.

Please contact our Service Department at service@cayin.cn. We are still in our National Anniversary Golden week, will resume operation tomorrow.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #2,235 of 2,518
How would this dap pair with the Sony MDR-Z1R? Has anyone paired those two? Also, how would this dap compare to the Sony daps such as the WM1A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back