Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jun 22, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,161 of 2,518
Got mine last Saturday directly from the German Cayin subsidiary. Have not encountered any issues so far. The OS upgrade to v2.3. went without a hitch.
The tube's sound great, making even my Grado shine (I use the Grado mainly during the hot summer days where noone wants to wear an over-ear headphone), which sometimes tend to be a bit harsh in the highs when used with my A&K players.

Since I'm new to this device maybe someone would be so kind to answer the following questions:

- Most of my music stems from Qobuz with rather large cover art (600x600). Would it do good putting a low-res cover art as "cover.jpg" inside the album folders? Or will the N3Pro load cover art from the song's metadata first? Can someone elaborate pls?
- Whenever I connect the N3Pro to my computer and add new music to the SD card, the new files are not recognized by the device. I always have to do a full scan. Am I missing something or is this the normal behavior?
- The only complaint I've so far is the N3Pro completely ignoring the "Album Artist" tag. Is this feature scheduled for upcoming OS updates?

Thank you.

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,162 of 2,518
Got mine last Saturday directly from the German Cayin subsidiary. Have not encountered any issues so far. The OS upgrade to v2.3. went without a hitch.
The tube's sound great, making even my Grado shine (I use the Grado mainly during the hot summer days where noone wants to wear an over-ear headphone), which sometimes tend to be a bit harsh in the highs when used with my A&K players.

Since I'm new to this device maybe someone would be so kind to answer the following questions:

- Most of my music stems from Qobuz with rather large cover art (600x600). Would it do good putting a low-res cover art as "cover.jpg" inside the album folders? Or will the N3Pro load cover art from the song's metadata first? Can someone elaborate pls?
- Whenever I connect the N3Pro to my computer and add new music to the SD card, the new files are not recognized by the device. I always have to do a full scan. Am I missing something or is this the normal behavior?
- The only complaint I've so far is the N3Pro completely ignoring the "Album Artist" tag. Is this feature scheduled for upcoming OS updates?

Thank you.

• 600x600 jpeg is fine with N3Pro. N3Pro works with album art up to 1000x1000 resolution.
  • You should be able to browse or playback the new songs from "Folder" view, but if want to access the new file from Album, Artist or Genre view, you must scan your storage card so that N3Pro will build up the index file to include your new files
  • We don't have any plan to add Album Artist tag in N3Pro. Due to limitation of MCU resource, we have to balanced the feature and overall operation stability, therefore we can't support each and every ID3 tag, otherwise that will increase the size of music library database file and take up more RAM.

There is another limitation in N3Pro. It can scan upto 20,000 tracks only when you scan your SD card, not a problem for 256GB TF card, but if you are using 512GB or 1TB card, or if you have a lot of lossy compressed file in your library, you might exceed 20,000 tracks limit. For the record, that is the library size for music categorisation and is related to playback control such as play by album, artists and genre. There is no file number limit with Folder view, you can always access your complete music library from Folder.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 22, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,163 of 2,518
@Andykong: Thanks for the quick reply and the insight into the device's internals. Pls allow some further comments.
My first question wasn't directed towards the capability of reading large cover art but merely to "ease the pain" for the processor :) IMHO smaller jpgs mean less data to handle and less workload on the cpu resulting in a quicker loading of the cover art while scrolling thru the music library. So, what do you think what comes first, metadata or cover.jpg? Would it be possible (and make sense) to have this as an option in one of the next OS versions?
Regarding the album artist tag I'll keep all my "Various Artists" albums off the N3Pro, avoiding flooding the artist category with dozens of new entries where each refers to a single file only.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,164 of 2,518
@Andykong: Thanks for the quick reply and the insight into the device's internals. Pls allow some further comments.
My first question wasn't directed towards the capability of reading large cover art but merely to "ease the pain" for the processor :) IMHO smaller jpgs mean less data to handle and less workload on the cpu resulting in a quicker loading of the cover art while scrolling thru the music library. So, what do you think what comes first, metadata or cover.jpg? Would it be possible (and make sense) to have this as an option in one of the next OS versions?
Regarding the album artist tag I'll keep all my "Various Artists" albums off the N3Pro, avoiding flooding the artist category with dozens of new entries where each refers to a single file only.

The Album art from streaming service providers are normally well within processing limit, they are concern about bandwidth efficiency as well, so I am not too worry about that. When I administer my personal music library, I always keep my album art below 500K, and most of my album art are below 300KB, they all works fine with all Cayin DAPs. If you can download the 600x600 album art as graphic file, you can check the file size and decided whether you need to further reduce the album art file size.

When you scroll through the Album arts in the Album view, you are looking at thumbnails of album art that we created during music scan process, so it doesn't really matter what was the original album art file size. When you start to play a song, Cayin Music Player will defer album art display by 2 second, make sure the song is properly recognised, decoded, and audio buffer is properly filled before the system will fetch for the original album art from your Music Library, so there are a lot of optimisation in the Music Player software to minimum the interference due to album art resolution or file size.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,166 of 2,518
Jun 28, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,169 of 2,518
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,170 of 2,518
Hi @Andykong , I want to make some Playlist to use on my N3pro. Which software do you recommend that help me to do it ?

We have provided the instruction on playlist in our website (HERE).

Alternatively, you can connect N3Pro to your mobile phone via HiByLink, and create playlist with HiBy Music Player App.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,171 of 2,518
We have provided the instruction on playlist in our website (HERE).

Alternatively, you can connect N3Pro to your mobile phone via HiByLink, and create playlist with HiBy Music Player App.
@Andykong Andy. Can we install Apple Music and play with N3 or N6? Will we have problem logging to apple account like reported with fiio? I am keen to get cayin to play lossless from Apple Music as I don't have tidal. The plan is to hook up with external dac and/or headphone amp.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,174 of 2,518
@Andykong Andy. Can we install Apple Music and play with N3 or N6? Will we have problem logging to apple account like reported with fiio? I am keen to get cayin to play lossless from Apple Music as I don't have tidal. The plan is to hook up with external dac and/or headphone amp.

Thanks.

I assume you are referring to N3Pro and N6ii.

N3Pro is a purist DAP, it does not have streaming capability and you can't install any app either, so direct playback of Apple Music on N3Pro is out of the question. You can, however, playback Apple Music on an Android mobile phone and connect to N3Pro via USB Audio or LDAC Bluetooth. We recommend using Android mobile phone as source because iPhone don't support Hi-Res Bluetooth, and there is no digital audio output from iPhone unless you add an Apple camera adapter in between.

N6ii is straight forward, you can install Apple Music App on N6ii and playback standard and Hi-res content directly.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,175 of 2,518
I assume you are referring to N3Pro and N6ii.

N3Pro is a purist DAP, it does not have streaming capability and you can't install any app either, so direct playback of Apple Music on N3Pro is out of the question. You can, however, playback Apple Music on an Android mobile phone and connect to N3Pro via USB Audio or LDAC Bluetooth. We recommend using Android mobile phone as source because iPhone don't support Hi-Res Bluetooth, and there is no digital audio output from iPhone unless you add an Apple camera adapter in between.

N6ii is straight forward, you can install Apple Music App on N6ii and playback standard and Hi-res content directly.
Thank you @Andykong . Can you please confirm if there's no account login issue with n6ii like what reported with fiio? Means we can install apple music but cannot login to our apple account. Appreciate the trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back