Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #2,148 of 2,518
Guys, sorry for the all noob questions here, but unfortunately the support from Cayin it's totally amateur. One more question for you guys:

It's safe to charge the DAP when I use the tubes?

And another question:

How to use two-way Bluetooth, I tried to connect the two devices (my cellphone and a Bluetooth speaker with LDAC, and didn't work)?

If you need a simple yes and no answer, then the official response is no, we do not recommend charging the DAP and playback at the same time, in regardless of tube or solid state.

The condition is complicated, it will depends where you put your DAP (because ventilation is important), music format, and charging condition.

When you charge and playback at the same time, the in and out current are added up into very high output, causing the DAP to generate a lot of heat.

If you charge and playback on a desktop, with N3Pro in open ventilated location, then normally it is OK with that, but if you put your charger and N3Pro in your backpack when you charge and play at the same time, the heat generated will accumulated and will, in extreme situation, trigger the protection and N3Pro will auto power off.

If you playback regular high resolution music, such as 24/96 PCM or DSD64, the N3Pro is significantly warmer then playback CD quality tracks, that's because of the DAC operation, not related to tubes.

If you charge your DAP at 5V2A, it will generate more heat then charging it at 5V1A. This happens as more energy is being put back into your battery within the same period. and the chemical process inside the battery is more rapid.

Last but not least, these three variables can happens in the same time, and accumulate heat to the DAP concurrently. So there it is never a simple yes or no answer. Again, if you want a yes and no answer, then DON'T charge and playback at them same time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,149 of 2,518
I can't use usb dac mode with my macbook pro - i keep getting message " device disabled using too much power" ... latest fw :frowning2:

We have discussed this issue earlier on, happens on iphone initially, some users interpreted that as a mean to discourage association with non Apple certified products, a mean to protect the Apple ecology. Apparently Apple decide to extend their ecology protection to Macbook products. Technically this doesn't really make sense, we can understand the Macbook pro should have battery or current limitation like mobile phone.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,150 of 2,518
If you need a simple yes and no answer, then the official response is no, we do not recommend charging the DAP and playback at the same time, in regardless of tube or solid state.

The condition is complicated, it will depends where you put your DAP (because ventilation is important), music format, and charging condition.

When you charge and playback at the same time, the in and out current are added up into very high output, causing the DAP to generate a lot of heat.

If you charge and playback on a desktop, with N3Pro in open ventilated location, then normally it is OK with that, but if you put your charger and N3Pro in your backpack when you charge and play at the same time, the heat generated will accumulated and will, in extreme situation, trigger the protection and N3Pro will auto power off.

If you playback regular high resolution music, such as 24/96 PCM or DSD64, the N3Pro is significantly warmer then playback CD quality tracks, that's because of the DAC operation, not related to tubes.

If you charge your DAP at 5V2A, it will generate more heat then charging it at 5V1A. This happens as more energy is being put back into your battery within the same period. and the chemical process inside the battery is more rapid.

Last but not least, these three variables can happens in the same time, and accumulate heat to the DAP concurrently. So there it is never a simple yes or no answer. Again, if you want a yes and no answer, then DON'T charge and playback at them same time.
Thanks!

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2,151 of 2,518
We have discussed this issue earlier on, happens on iphone initially, some users interpreted that as a mean to discourage association with non Apple certified products, a mean to protect the Apple ecology. Apparently Apple decide to extend their ecology protection to Macbook products. Technically this doesn't really make sense, we can understand the Macbook pro should have battery or current limitation like mobile phone.

On my macbook pro this issue does not happen with Fiio m11 Pro (usb dac mode or storage mode), nor does it happen with Sony ZX507 - for some reason n3 pro seems to be unique, and this means I can't use it in dac mode with my laptop

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #2,154 of 2,518
Is the concept of a cayin n3 pro with interchangeable tube possible ? It would be amazing
Sure in theory, there's at least portable tube amp "Little bear B4-X" with small tubes that some people have changed to other small tubes as DIY. So I would expect that it could be done as all-in-one DAP solution as well... I'm not exactly holding my breath that it would happen but I might be a customer if done well (and so that it wouldn't require much expertise, just buying a bunch of different tubes).

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #2,155 of 2,518
Sure in theory, there's at least portable tube amp "Little bear B4-X" with small tubes that some people have changed to other small tubes as DIY. So I would expect that it could be done as all-in-one DAP solution as well... I'm not exactly holding my breath that it would happen but I might be a customer if done well (and so that it wouldn't require much expertise, just buying a bunch of different tubes).
I think the biggest problem will be with the battery, cayin choose the jan6418 for the low consuption and the battery life is just average with 4000mah and little screen with no Android, so with other tubes I don't know how it would be...

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,156 of 2,518

Is the Little Bear B4-X truly portable? I haven't had the chance to try it out, so I am very interested to find out. Can you shake it, or handheld it and walking around and yet no ringing or obvious microphonic effect?

Portable is not just dimension and size. For tube amplifier, portable means minimizing microphonic, vibration and shock protection, heat management, reliability (low repair rate) and extended battery life.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,157 of 2,518
Is the Little Bear B4-X truly portable? I haven't had the chance to try it out, so I am very interested to find out. Can you shake it, or handheld it and walking around and yet no ringing or obvious microphonic effect?

Portable is not just dimension and size. For tube amplifier, portable means minimizing microphonic, vibration and shock protection, heat management, reliability (low repair rate) and extended battery life.

Yeah good points. I don't have the Little Bear myself, so I can't answer your question. But I have OriolusBA300S which I think has similar measurements and weight as Little Bear (truly portable in any case) and you can absolutely do whatever with it in terms of shaking, walking etc. without hearing any effects in sound, it's light yet robust. Heck I might as well try pairing it with Ibasso DX160 and use that stack for running my usual outdoors run haha (just not today but I might report later :ksc75smile: ). The Little Bear is cheaper with most likely pretty cheap parts, I only used it as an example where people have done tube rolling (I recall that an ideal is to replace the cheap stock tube with some Burson). A tube DAP with realistic and manufacturer-approved tube rolling would probably be between that Oriolus and a Cayin C9 in terms of pricing. But maybe you would need to do too much compromises and the power couldn't be much due to heat generation.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #2,158 of 2,518
In my Little Bear B4-X, the tubes do ring some when it's bumped.
It's not as bad, after I put some high temperature o-rings on the tubes.
The rings are thick enough to fill the gaps above & below the tubes, so they're held between the case and the circuit board.
I usually operate my B4-X as a "desktop" amp (on my desk at home or at work), rather than carrying it around, since it's a bit large to comfortably fit in pants pockets.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #2,159 of 2,518
In my Little Bear B4-X, the tubes do ring some when it's bumped.
It's not as bad, after I put some high temperature o-rings on the tubes.
The rings are thick enough to fill the gaps above & below the tubes, so they're held between the case and the circuit board.
I usually operate my B4-X as a "desktop" amp (on my desk at home or at work), rather than carrying it around, since it's a bit large to comfortably fit in pants pockets.
I think I remember you from lurking some of that DIY portable tubes thread here... what tubes have you experimented with it, how much possibilities are there? A bit off-topic sure but there hasn't been all that much N3Pro discussion lately (still a great DAP :D ) so might as well...

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,160 of 2,518
I think I remember you from lurking some of that DIY portable tubes thread here... what tubes have you experimented with it, how much possibilities are there? A bit off-topic sure but there hasn't been all that much N3Pro discussion lately (still a great DAP :D ) so might as well...

I don't believe there are any direct cross reference alternate tubes, to replace the JAN5899 found in my (older) version of the B4-X - so I have only purchased matched replacement pairs of the JAN5899. A year or more ago, there were a lot of eBay vendors selling JAN5899 tubes, and now there are very few. I guess it's no longer in production, and the industry is running out of New Old Stock.
The current version of the B4-X has a different circuit layout, and uses JAN5784WA tubes.

Comparing the Spec Sheets for the JAN5899 (UHF Radio Tube) and JAN5784WA (VHF Radio Tube) - they've got different pin-outs, as well as different DC operational values (Plate, Grid, & Heater Current; and Cathode Resistance). This means that they probably can't be swapped in the same circuit, without changing other components, like resistor values.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back