Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #976 of 2,518
You guys are living on the edge! Real adrenaline junkies!!! :wink:
Still waiting for mine, and honestly - if it looks bad or feel plasticy, I will probably join the adrenaline-junkie no-screen-protector club.
I was gonna peel mine but then I remembered that the screen protector on my iPhone just protected the front screen from cracking when I dropped it few months ago but the back glass shattered because I did not use any phone case.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #977 of 2,518
N3Pro SS output is quite good too. I’ve compared with Lotoo Paw S1 via the USB Digital Out (digital out which support upto PCM 32Bit/768KHz and DSD256), and they’re remarkably similar level. S1 has a bit more dynamics and a slightly lighter tone, while N3Pro has a more mellow signature and equally enjoyable sound with similar soundstage width/depth. Coupled with the 2 tube modes and the variety of input/output features, the N3Pro is a really fun, flexible and capable DAP in its price range and probably more. I am glad that Cayin (and Lotoo too) is able to raise the bar for audio products that’s less expensive but come with good sound quality:thumbsup:

E98EB88B-7B5F-4720-A1D8-05CBCB0FCEC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #980 of 2,518
N3Pro SS output is quite good too. I’ve compared with Lotoo Paw S1 via the USB Digital Out (digital out which support upto PCM 32Bit/768KHz and DSD256), and they’re remarkably similar level. S1 has a bit more dynamics and a slightly lighter tone, while N3Pro has a more mellow signature and equally enjoyable sound with similar soundstage width/depth. Coupled with the 2 tube modes and the variety of input/output features, the N3Pro is a really fun, flexible and capable DAP in its price range and probably more. I am glad that Cayin (and Lotoo too) is able to raise the bar for audio products that’s less expensive but come with good sound quality:thumbsup:

Agree on the SE quality, Triode seems more "polite" and intimate to me than UL, not that much impressed by the 4.4. and so far a bit deluded by the limited USB C to coax output :frowning2:

All in all a very interesting DAP, but honestly at the Moment a bit on the fence wether to keep It or leave It :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #982 of 2,518
Is it possible to change how long the n3pro goes into standby in usb dac mode? I paused my video, got up, and then had to wait again before sound came back.

Were you in tube mode?

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #984 of 2,518

Then it is normal, since tubes needs 5 seconds to "burn up" and be ready. Therefore if on tubes, each time you pause/idle the DAP, the procedure starts over (in order to preserve tubes).

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #985 of 2,518

E98EB88B-7B5F-4720-A1D8-05CBCB0FCEC7.jpeg

Just tried the N3Pro 4.4 output, it is not as good as 3.5 SS output (to my ears). Soundstage is closed in and the tone is not as clear as the 3.5 output. With USB Audio Out, the S1 4.4 output is much much better, in fact even better than S1 3.5 output. Just my 2 coins.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #987 of 2,518
Agree on the SE quality, Triode seems more "polite" and intimate to me than UL, not that much impressed by the 4.4. and so far a bit deluded by the limited USB C to coax output :frowning2:

All in all a very interesting DAP, but honestly at the Moment a bit on the fence wether to keep It or leave It :)

Agree the 4.4 is meh. Coax output is limited. For better quality, use USB C output or the 3.5 line out.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #988 of 2,518
Agree the 4.4 is meh. Coax output is limited. For better quality, use USB C output or the 3.5 line out.

I don't get why coax Is that limited though.

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #989 of 2,518

I believe because the Xmos chip only works with usb out. Just use a regular USB C OTG cable, no big deal. I'm assuming you're trying to feed it to use the tube modes. I don’t know why anyone would use this as a transport.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #990 of 2,518

According to the info from Cayin, Coax digital out is riding on the SBU (Sideband use) pins of the Type-C connector which is unused for normal Type C transmission. Could be the limitation of this Type C pins to transfer the higher digital signal when using coax cable. Not sure, I guess it’s a design choice/limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back