Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #946 of 2,518
I found a possibly useful description of the difference between ultralinear and triode modes for pentode tubes, or valves as we still generally call them here in the UK.
Bear in mind that the N3 Pro uses the tubes as a buffer stage, and is followed by an op-amp output stage, hence why there is no significant (if at all; can't remember the specs) difference in output power between the two tube modes, contrary to the theory which states that a pentode operating in triode mode will output significantly less than when in ultralinear mode.
I'm no tube expert, come back in 10 years when I will have grasped the basics, so can't answer any specific questions but thought this post from the Steve Hoffman forum offered quite a good basic explanation, since there were a couple of queries about this topic here a few pages back.
A6064969-6825-49BA-AEF8-BC56D2A46E9A.png

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #947 of 2,518
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #949 of 2,518
Yes we have nothing even close in the US. I think there's 2 daps at Best Buy unless you happen to have a BB Magnolia store nearby. Then you can at least look at some Sonys.
In USA we build car stereo systems and home audio systems. We tend to listen with friends or for my neighbors to hear.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #950 of 2,518
Did my own unboxing on it, really like this thing.
It crashed about 3 times which was weird but nothing tragic. Gotta go with popular opinion, Ultralinear mode is the best one. If I may wish for something can we get a feature that'll prevent N3 Pro from charging while using as USB/DAC? Planning to use it as my desktop setup as well...

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #951 of 2,518
Life is short, gotta enjoy while we can :)

Life is short, why don't you have both !? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Consumer Behavior has a term for that, it's called Post-purchase Dissonance. Its normal and no one can make perfect choice everytime.
I agree DX160 is good DAP, streaming through 4.4mm is so good as well, you should give it a chance. N3Pro is some picky on earphones, not every earphones can get good match and delivery good sounds. Besides, N3Pro need to be handled with care. If you throw it hard on the table, you will get a small, but long-annoying "clink" sound from the tube through earphones :sweat_smile:

I remembered I had a period of time keep about 10 mp3s on hand. I never touch them whenever I bought a new one. Then, I decided to sell them as soon as possible before they are getting depreciated, it's only my personal habit :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #953 of 2,518
@Andykong if you are in the habit of picking up feature requests from this forum, I would prefer it if Play mode was accessible from the pull-down menu as well as from the push-up Music setting menu, as I frequently toggle between Shuffle, for playlists, and Play all, for albums.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #956 of 2,518
Hi,

I just got the N3Pro. Nice small and portable DAP.
Do you guys remove and replace the pre-applied screen film? Not sure if it’s a temporary screen protector and is supposed to be replaced with the screen protector included in the box.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #957 of 2,518
Hi,

I just got the N3Pro. Nice small and portable DAP.
Do you guys remove and replace the pre-applied screen film? Not sure if it’s a temporary screen protector and is supposed to be replaced with the screen protector included in the box.
It seems some units come with the film nicely applied. I would have just kept mine on if it was, but the corners were already peeling off out of the box so I replaced it with the one included.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #959 of 2,518
I am puzzled: using proprietary Cayin USB C to coax cable, I nave different results that suggests N3P Is somewhat limited in sample frequency...

Same Song in DSD, light purple light on Mojo from Xduoo X10T, and Orange light from N3P... This means a drop from 768 to 48.…. What am I missing here?!

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #960 of 2,518
I’m still waiting for mine (@Andykong any ETA on the shipment to Spain?), I’m just wondering has anyone compared the N3Pro to E1DA’s PowerDAC? It’s supposed to sound quite tube-like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back