Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #916 of 2,518
Thank you for the kind words of support.I was on the market for best sound quality under 500$ and pulled the plug on dx160 few hours before I found this thread. Than when I saw that people selling their dx160 for this unit ,I got totally confused with my decision lol. Thank you again
The dx160 is a perfectly fine DAP. And to be honest you can’t go wrong with any of the other DAP in that tier (hiby r5, m11, m5s). In my opinion, they are the best in class in terms of p2p and offers the best value.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #917 of 2,518
The dx160 is a perfectly fine DAP. And to be honest you can’t go wrong with any of the other DAP in that tier (hiby r5, m11, m5s). In my opinion, they are the best in class in terms of p2p and offers the best value.
Honestly this is such a rabbit hole , I wish there was a local store where you could hear all of them before making a decision

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #918 of 2,518
Honestly this is such a rabbit hole , I wish there was a local store where you could hear all of them before making a decision

FWIW, I’ve had/heard the dx160, r3pro, m2x, M0 and M5s. I kept the M0 and M5s.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #919 of 2,518
FWIW, I’ve had/heard the dx160, r3pro, m2x, M0 and M5s. I kept the M0 and M5s.
see to each their own ,that's why I wish people could pick their "sound" before finalizing the purchase. Otherwise it's like a blind pick especially for novices like me. who don't understand all those fancy words such as "bright" , "warm" and etc. I totally understand that it's hard to describe a sound properly but I really have no idea how to apply those "fancy" words into my imagination to properly "understand" how it would sound like.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #920 of 2,518

I agree you! can't go wrong with any of those. Wasn't excited by the shanling but that's just personal sound preference.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #921 of 2,518
see to each their own ,that's why I wish people could pick their "sound" before finalizing the purchase. Otherwise it's like a blind pick especially for novices like me. who don't understand all those fancy words such as "bright" , "warm" and etc. I totally understand that it's hard to describe a sound properly but I really have no idea how to apply those "fancy" words into my imagination to properly "understand" how it would sound like.

The dx160 is pretty balanced soundwise, and you have that nice parametric eq. Honestly they're all very similar sounding with just various tweaks. Your iems or headphones are going to affect the sound more. I mean is there anything particular you don't like about the dx160 sound?

Because reading head fi can make you nutty- posts, impressions and ect. And eveything 'new' is pretty much awesome ha ha. And honestly everything I've listened to lately has sounded really good.

I mean everytime something new comes out it's hard to resist trying it out. Because in the back of your mind you're thinking- this could sound better than my current dap. And of course there's always something new coming around the corner. :wink: I will say my first foray into portable tube use has been very enlightening.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #922 of 2,518
The dx160 is pretty balanced soundwise, and you have that nice parametric eq. Honestly they're all very similar sounding with just various tweaks. Your iems or headphones are going to affect the sound more. I mean is there anything particular you don't like about the dx160 sound?

Because reading head fi can make you nutty- posts, impressions and ect. And eveything 'new' is pretty much awesome ha ha. And honestly everything I've listened to lately has sounded really good.

I mean everytime something new comes out it's hard to resist trying it out. Because in the back of your mind you're thinking- this could sound better than my current dap. And of course there's always something new coming around the corner. :wink: I will say my first foray into portable tube use has been very enlightening.
Tbh I havent heard it yet. It arrives on Friday

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #923 of 2,518
Most 4.4 do sound better than their 3.5 counterparts. But not the N3 pro :) UL mode especially to me, is just so intoxicating to listen to.

Yeah, switched to UL mode as well, my favorite now. Not to the same extent, but switching between TR and UL tube modes kind of reminds me of switching between E01 dac/amp card Class A and Class AB.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #926 of 2,518
Having heard all those i still picked the DX160 for its best in class, actually, better than its class soundstage. And as much as i liked the M11 Pro, it just wasn't pocketable for me.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #927 of 2,518
Yeah, switched to UL mode as well, my favorite now. Not to the same extent, but switching between TR and UL tube modes kind of reminds me of switching between E01 dac/amp card Class A and Class AB.

The UL is definitely my favorite as well. I liked that it expanded the sound, yet still have the warmth. :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #928 of 2,518
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #930 of 2,518

Users who are viewing this thread

Back