Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #931 of 2,518
The UL is definitely my favorite as well. I liked that it expanded the sound, yet still have the warmth. :)

I am still trying to figure out the difference amongst them in the kind of music I listen to.. and what the results are.

UL seems Indeed to "boost sound somehow, but on some music It can become a bit "harsh" imho, Will get more into that though :)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #932 of 2,518
Yeah, switched to UL mode as well, my favorite now. Not to the same extent, but switching between TR and UL tube modes kind of reminds me of switching between E01 dac/amp card Class A and Class AB.

That’s actually a good description ... triode being like a Pure Class A amplifier and Ultralinear like a Class AB amp. There should be more power output with the UL setting compared to triode.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #933 of 2,518
I think an odd thing about the n3pro is is that it makes everything sound a certain way for me. I’m not too sure what I’m hearing yet, but so far, after trying it with iems, headphones, and less expensive earphones, it’s been making all of them sound more similar. I feel like no matter the device, the n3pro in tube mode makes them all sound similarly spacious and detailed. Well, it could also be because I happen to buy gear that all sounds similar to each other.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #934 of 2,518
I think an odd thing about the n3pro is is that it makes everything sound a certain way for me. I’m not too sure what I’m hearing yet, but so far, after trying it with iems, headphones, and less expensive earphones, it’s been making all of them sound more similar. I feel like no matter the device, the n3pro in tube mode makes them all sound similarly spacious and detailed. Well, it could also be because I happen to buy gear that all sounds similar to each other.
Or could it be specifics of "tube sound" ?

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #937 of 2,518
Tbh I havent heard it yet. It arrives on Friday

Is this your first dap? Because if it is, the dx160 is an awesome way to start. I'm not even sure what my first dap was lol. Mpio? Rio? Creative? Cowon? (called iaudio back then) Iriver? I know it wasn't sony or apple or samsung, those came later.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #938 of 2,518
when I saw that people selling their dx160 for this unit ,I got totally confused with my decision
that's what we do in this hobby. always trying things out. most people (myself included) can't just keep everything they buy and need to sell to cover next purchase. I haven't heard the N3P, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't 'better'. It's 'different'. I think that you're seeing that. People aren't selling off their 160 as a reflection of sound quality, rather, so that they can move onto the next thing that's piqued their interest.
Honestly this is such a rabbit hole , I wish there was a local store where you could hear all of them before making a
there are a handful of major cities in the US where you can do this - for the 95% rest of us here in the US, you have to 'buy to try'. that's why the sale forums are great!
Because in the back of your mind you're thinking- this could sound better than my current dap.
exactly. FOMO or "fear of missing out" fuels this hobby like very few others.
I havent heard it yet. It arrives on Friday
It sounds great out of the box IMO but will smooth out even more after a few days of listening. I remember that some warmth appeared after a few days. I also remember really enjoying the 'arc of sound' above my head. The stage is pushed out in height and width for me.

OK, all that said - I'm still gonna have to try the N3P for myself soon!

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #939 of 2,518
Guy stop this 👿 there are units available right next door :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:
I am a sucker for tubes and Cayin so... temptation!

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #940 of 2,518
Is this your first dap? Because if it is, the dx160 is an awesome way to start. I'm not even sure what my first dap was lol. Mpio? Rio? Creative? Cowon? (called iaudio back then) Iriver? I know it wasn't sony or apple or samsung, those came later.
I had Cowon D2 back in 2009 , had it for like a year maybe. Here I'm 10 years after.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #941 of 2,518
that's what we do in this hobby. always trying things out. most people (myself included) can't just keep everything they buy and need to sell to cover next purchase. I haven't heard the N3P, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't 'better'. It's 'different'. I think that you're seeing that. People aren't selling off their 160 as a reflection of sound quality, rather, so that they can move onto the next thing that's piqued their interest.

there are a handful of major cities in the US where you can do this - for the 95% rest of us here in the US, you have to 'buy to try'. that's why the sale forums are great!

exactly. FOMO or "fear of missing out" fuels this hobby like very few others.

It sounds great out of the box IMO but will smooth out even more after a few days of listening. I remember that some warmth appeared after a few days. I also remember really enjoying the 'arc of sound' above my head. The stage is pushed out in height and width for me.

OK, all that said - I'm still gonna have to try the N3P for myself soon!
I'm very tempted to experience a "tube sound", thinking to get cheap chinisium little bear just out of curiosity

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #942 of 2,518
Honestly this is such a rabbit hole , I wish there was a local store where you could hear all of them before making a decision

i have been to yodobashi is osaka just before the pandemic. It is the biggest gadget store in japan. They have a whole section dedicated to daps and headphones which you are free to try. As far as i remember, they have a demo unit for most DAPs. You could easily spend the whole day trying everything!

check zpolt’s video. To see what i mean.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #944 of 2,518
i have been to yodobashi is osaka just before the pandemic. It is the biggest gadget store in japan. They have a whole section dedicated to daps and headphones which you are free to try. As far as i remember, they have a demo unit for most DAPs. You could easily spend the whole day trying everything!

Oh wow, looks like a heaven

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #945 of 2,518

Yes we have nothing even close in the US. I think there's 2 daps at Best Buy unless you happen to have a BB Magnolia store nearby. Then you can at least look at some Sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back