Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 2, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #616 of 2,518
The green leather has a golder shimmer to it.
Hard to capture on camera.

IMG_20200903_014847.jpg

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #617 of 2,518
In that mode its sounding twice its price. Wide, detailed, nice sub bass rumble 🤘although detailed, highs are soft (not harsh) impressive.
Mids for metal very nice. This is with quickly thowing in my regular EQ curve.

A little size comparison with cowons its pretty similar. Cowon P2 and PM2

Thank you much sir :) can't wait. I think my first listens will be Jeff Beck Blow by Blow- Japanese import 24 bit and Steely Dan Aja 24 bit. I think those will suit that tone nice. Then on to the usual suspects- Rumours hi res, Rush, some Yes, Floyd, Shpongle, and Ozric. Oh and Radiohead etc. Bla bla bla

Glad you like it, and it looks pretty small which I love. Thnx

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #619 of 2,518
A quick update on the availability of N3Pro in international market.
  • Hong Kong, Japan and Thailand are selling N3pro already.
  • We have dispatched to US, Germany, Singapore, Korean, Taiwan and Indonesia already, and we are waiting for fright forwarder to collect the UK and Malaysia package later today.
  • Russia, Ukraine, Spain, Poland, Philippine and Vietnam are next in line, we should be able to fulfill these order within next week.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #622 of 2,518
The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch. Call me crazy, just love the sound of the tubes and I want to hear the "best" -- using the LPGT as sort of 'transport' (which should be superior) and the N3Pro as the DAC and tube player. FYI, I've been using similar set up (LPGT + QPM) for a while with pretty appealing result especially when I want to listen to some 'difficult to drive' earphones like the oBravo Ra-c... Maybe I'm a guy having played the two way system for decades and been used to transport + DAC.:)

Cheers,
Hugo

So LPGT + QPM sounds better then QMP alone, playing the same file? That's interesting.

I do agree that two box Transport + DAC approach works well in Home Audio system because we have to handle physical media such as CD and SACD, which involve mechanical motor and pick up mechanism. However we should bear in mind that high-end brands like dCS and Esoteric started to develop high-end single box player that claims to offer better price performance in past 5 years.

At DAP level when we only need to handle digital audio files and when resource is very limited, I personally doubt two DAPs stimulating home audio two-box approach will offers competitive edge on audio performance. Adding a DAP as DAC/Amp sure improve the audio performance of a mobile phone, but using a $3000 DAP as transport to a $500 DAP as DAC/Amp, this is an extraordinary approach to portable applications.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #623 of 2,518
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #624 of 2,518
Sep 3, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #625 of 2,518
Sorry for the silly question, but may I ask why is the SE line out separate from the 3.5 output? And does the 4.4 output allow for line out as well? What is/are the benefit(s) of separating them?

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #626 of 2,518
Sorry for the silly question, but may I ask why is the SE line out separate from the 3.5 output? And does the 4.4 output allow for line out as well? What is/are the benefit(s) of separating them?

Yes 4.4mm has line out, fortunately it warns you when selecting it too but take off your headphones first if your trigger happy.
@Andykong will be better placed to answer why the 3.5 one is separate. I guess it's because it already has several switched routes for solid state and tube output going on already on 3.5 PO

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #627 of 2,518
Yes 4.4mm has line out, fortunately it warns you when selecting it too but take off your headphones first if your trigger happy.
@Andykong will be better placed to answer why the 3.5 one is separate. I guess it's because it already has several switched routes for solid state and tube output going on already on 3.5 PO
Thanks for your reply! :) Yeah, the warning screen certainly is a saviour. I see, so it may have something to do with the tube connection on the 3.5

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #628 of 2,518
A separate line out avoids going through the headphone amp so in theory you should get a cleaner output no?

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #629 of 2,518
So LPGT + QPM sounds better then QMP alone, playing the same file? That's interesting.

I do agree that two box Transport + DAC approach works well in Home Audio system because we have to handle physical media such as CD and SACD, which involve mechanical motor and pick up mechanism. However we should bear in mind that high-end brands like dCS and Esoteric started to develop high-end single box player that claims to offer better price performance in past 5 years.

At DAP level when we only need to handle digital audio files and when resource is very limited, I personally doubt two DAPs stimulating home audio two-box approach will offers competitive edge on audio performance. Adding a DAP as DAC/Amp sure improve the audio performance of a mobile phone, but using a $3000 DAP as transport to a $500 DAP as DAC/Amp, this is an extraordinary approach to portable applications.
Hearing is believing.:) BTW, engaging a good DAC/Amp to improve an already good DAP isn't new and of course not just a hypothesis. Before the QPM, I had actually been using the Hugo 2 for almost 3 years during which I enjoyed so much the improvement it brought especially in terms of dynamic range... "LPGT + QPM sounds better than QPM alone?" Positive. It combines beautifully the exquisite details, sound stage, separation, neutral yet musical reproduction of the LPGT with the punch, weight and speed of the QPM.

Now, I've got the N3Pro only last Friday, yet almost immediately, I've fallen for the lovely sound of its tubes (triode in particular). I'm so impressed that I won't take it as just another $500 DAP. It's extraordinary as it is but I'll be eager to find out how the sound would change (improve) if I connect it with a great "transport" like the LPGT.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #630 of 2,518
Based on the product information, the 3.5 LO is a clean signal without going through the amplifier section. The 4.4 LO is shared with 4.4 PO and the signal is going through the amplifier section. I presume most audio equipments at this point support the 3.5 Line IN and the 4.4 Line IN would be uncommon at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back