Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #586 of 2,518
Great news. To me it is one of the best implementation I heard about so far: with Mojo it beats both optical and USB :wink:

I also prefer coaxial over USB Audio in general, but USB Audio offers better specification, so if need to go beyond 24/192, which is not very often, I'll switch to USB Audio/

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #587 of 2,518
Hmm, maybe they just added the link? Cause after reading your reply I checked Musicteck website and see n3pro pre-order page already up.
Interestingly, unlike other stores (in Hong Kong?) - MusicTeck is NOT including the green leather case.
(at least they do not mention it is included)

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #588 of 2,518
Interestingly, unlike other stores (in Hong Kong?) - MusicTeck is NOT including the green leather case.
(at least they do not mention it is included)

Sorry, I have no idea what is included or not included. Just noticed they had the link up after you asked a question :wink: Probably a good idea to ping them (Andrew).

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #589 of 2,518
Sorry, I have no idea what is included or not included. Just noticed they had the link up after you asked a question :wink: Probably a good idea to ping them (Andrew).
@twister6 - my question / comment was not directed at you :wink:
Just a comment for "the general public".

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #591 of 2,518
You've never heard the N6ii sing if you've never tried the other modules. The N6ii stock is pretty bad value at $1200, having heard every dap in the $400 - $1500 price range I'd put it in the $600-$800 region. The other modules are much better.

I did try E01 too, like I said, I dont ascribe sound quality with price. Nice dap for sure but not for me. I really didn't need android or module switching and it was too big and heavy for my use.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #593 of 2,518
I am receiving my N3 Pro via SF Express right now, but shock when reading this thread coz my song library contains 26000 songs. Probably, N3 Pro will be my only DAP which cannot scan all of my collection... hope the future firmware will break this barrier...

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #594 of 2,518
iPhone rejects an USB OTG because "draws too much power"? This is new, I didn't aware of this limitation until now. Sorry, I am more an Android person, I have tested USB connection to iOS at various shows, demoing the feature to visitors, but since all the shows were cancelled this year, I didn't aware the latest changes with iOS.

N3Pro does not provide an option to disable charging when connect as USB DAC. I can investigate if there is any solution to bypass that limitation.

To the best of my knowledge, iOS device does not support Hi-Res Bluetooth codec. They only use AAC and all the existing Hi-Res codec such are aptX, LDAC, UAT are not supported.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply, please see the photo for the connection I mentioned.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 11.06.14 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 11.06.14 AM.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 11.06.31 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 11.06.31 AM.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #595 of 2,518
You just sold me on it, when you said you prefer it over ZX300 balanced :) put a deposit on one on musicteck. If by chance I don't like it, it should be easy to sell. Especially as it seems to be on fire atm. I assume you're using ldac for bt transmission, that should show up as 96 kHz.
I got sold from the sales guy that N3Pro worth the price tag just on the balance output and the tube output is a big bonus. The next option to have tube output has a price tag of $1k+.... but of course you just can't compare to N8 or any other DAP $2k or more.....enjoy your N3Pro when it arrives

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #596 of 2,518
iPhone rejects an USB OTG because "draws too much power"? This is new, I didn't aware of this limitation until now. Sorry, I am more an Android person, I have tested USB connection to iOS at various shows, demoing the feature to visitors, but since all the shows were cancelled this year, I didn't aware the latest changes with iOS.

N3Pro does not provide an option to disable charging when connect as USB DAC. I can investigate if there is any solution to bypass that limitation.

To the best of my knowledge, iOS device does not support Hi-Res Bluetooth codec. They only use AAC and all the existing Hi-Res codec such are aptX, LDAC, UAT are not supported.
Hope you would investigate and come up with a solution soon. FYI, this "draws too much power" fault is not just an issue with the iPhone. I've got the same problem when I try to connect the N3Pro with my Lotoo dap.:frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #597 of 2,518
Hope you would investigate and come up with a solution soon. FYI, this "draws too much power" fault is not just an issue with the iPhone. I've got the same problem when I try to connect the N3Pro with my Lotoo dap.:frowning2:

It's more like a design feature, rather than issue. Whenever you connect any "accessory" to usb port of your smartphone or dap, it becomes a host which sources the current to the attachment. So, your phone has to power up itself and the attached device. In iPhone and some other devices when they detect too much current is drawn, they, as a host, disconnect external device.

Some daps have option, by design, to switch to using their own internal battery when connected to a host through USB. Maybe, it's just a matter of fw/sw update how USB connection is handled on N3pro. Don't recall if it's the same on N8. But who knows. I guess will wait for Andy to reply if this is feasible.

The workaround is to connect it wireless, but then, iPhones don't support high res codecs.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #598 of 2,518

Interesting, Lotoo PAW6000? We didn't expect the DAP to DAP connection, this is a surprise.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me why you want to do that? Isn't it straightforward to copy the music files to a TF card and playback on N3Pro directly? What is the benefit to use Lotoo DAP as digital transport and N3Pro as USB DAC? Going through two USB ports, and a USB cable, and trying to sync between two DAC clocks, ... theoretically the jitter and interference will increase because of that.

Last edited:

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #599 of 2,518
Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply, please see the photo for the connection I mentioned.

Yes, we can replicate the problem after we read your case. :pray:

By the look of it, iOS wants to further limit the usage of lightning camera adaptor or camera connection kit to "camera" application? Afterall, using camera adaptor to enable USB Audio out is considered a breach to the Apple Ecosystem, we should be more thoughtful and expect iOS will protect their interest sooner or later.

Last edited:

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #600 of 2,518
The workaround is to connect it wireless, but then, iPhones don't support high res codecs.

This is the biggest pain, I cannot understand why iPhones didn't include aptX or LDAC in their BT roadmap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back