Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,037 of 2,518
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,039 of 2,518
This had me worrried, I have a lot of subfolder levels too

how do you like the r6pro?
It was ok...but I sold it for other gear. I considered the uber expensive Hiby R8 but I actually bought the VERY simplistic functioning Shanling Q1...primarily due to its smallish OTG form factor. Surprisingly it’s a keeper that I actually continue to use (carry—jogging).

Early on...the Cayin N3 Pro seems to bring it all together (for me) with the implementation of tubes...& at a sub 500.00 price point. I cannot say that I’ve heard notably better from what I’ve owned for portable use.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,040 of 2,518
I pitched a couple of questions over to Andrew at Musicteck:

Hi Andrew,

1) Do you know if there’s a way to change the default N3 photo playback image on the N3Pro for those instances in which the album artwork doesn’t display?

2) I’m also wondering if there’s a way to have compilation artist albums display as a single album when Artist is selected? For example collaborating artists are listed as single entries (songs) when ‘Artist’ is selected (for albums that have contributing artists listed).

His reply:
Hi Kevin,

There is no way to do either of these things, but we will forward your request to Cayin so they can consider it in the future fw updates.

Best,
Andrew

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,041 of 2,518
Anyone
I pitched a couple of questions over to Andrew at Musicteck:

Hi Andrew,

1) Do you know if there’s a way to change the default N3 photo playback image on the N3Pro for those instances in which the album artwork doesn’t display?

2) I’m also wondering if there’s a way to have compilation artist albums display as a single album when Artist is selected? For example collaborating artists are listed as single entries (songs) when ‘Artist’ is selected (for albums that have contributing artists listed).

His reply:
Hi Kevin,

There is no way to do either of these things, but we will forward your request to Cayin so they can consider it in the future fw updates.

Best,
Andrew
Andrew is Awesome !!!

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,042 of 2,518
Would be nice to have an eq like hiby on android that doesn't neuter the sound like this one, or even mseb. I know the processor is capable because the r3p and ap80 both have mseb.

If you dont do it, I'm going to peacefully protest like blm😤

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,043 of 2,518
Got this nice DAP yesterday and I've done some quick tests but I'll have more time in the evening today. So far I've just basically fed it with a bunch of "use cases" all of which it has handled fine. Even my initial testing seemed to indicate that there's a lot of potential and flexibility in both 3.5 and 4.4mm and some tracks sounded really good.
Just had to order a second (and bigger!) microsd card so that I don't have to switch it between my DAPs (and easier to compare etc.). But looking forward to sessions with this, more to come :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #1,044 of 2,518
mine just arrived thanks to the fast shipping from Musictek(great folks).
Be nice to get the jade case when they get it in as it seems this thing is very easy to scratch.
The UI/keys are so different from my N3 so it's an adjustment

So far I've been testing my Venture Electronics Zen 2 Omegas through the 3.5 to test the tube options and my VE Sun DICE and my Wong Kuan Wae Blurs from the 4.4 bal side.
Never really found a reasonably priced player that could do them justice without an external amp. So far so good with some compilation DSD tracks from Blue Coast and Native DSD. Gonna test the TIN P1 and my Ollo S4 later.

Is there a burn in period required for the tubes
Can't remember what I did with my old B4X

These are all high impedance earbuds, the VE Zen 2 Omegas is 320 Ω, the VE Sun DICE is 150Ω, not sure which version of Blurs you have, but I know they have a 400ohm version. These are no very demanding earphones so not sure if the 3.5mm tube mode can handle them satisfactory but I am glad to know that the 4.4mm output from N3Pro can handle them alright.

Yes, tube need burn in, I didn't hear significant different after 100 hours on my N3pro, but I can make solid opinion after 50 hours.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,045 of 2,518
Wich shop in Spain ???🙏🏻🙏🏻

Sorry, Spain dealer decided to defer their order in last minutes.

Right now we have shipped N3Pro to our European dealers in UK, Poland, Netherlands, Russia, Germany and Ukraine. We have a Where to Buy page in our website but Germany and Ukraine is missing. You can contact Cayin GmbH or era-in-ear if you want to buy N3pro from them.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,046 of 2,518
Yeah I didn’t realize the hibylink must be switched off in order to connect by iPhone to the N3Pro by Bluetooth to use steaming service on my phone such as Tidal and Spotify.

As explained previously, HiByLink and wireless DAC is mutually exclusive, once you connect your iphone with N3Pro in HiByLink, it can only serve as a remote control to playback the music on N3pro. If you want to stream your music content from Android mobile phone to N3Pro (i.e., N3Pro works as a wireless DAC), then you need to connect them in standard BT connection (LDAC or UAT codec) instead of HiByLink

Last edited:

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,047 of 2,518
Battery seems close to spec on tube mode, roughly 8 to 9 hours real usage. Didn't time the library update but it was pretty fast. The build quality is very nice and so is the wheel.

From what I remember the ui operation in folder mode is similar you can back out in order and hit the circle to go back to now playing. And if you hit back again it will remember where you are. Normal operation to me. I can try to take a crappy ui vid later. I personally have no problem with the UI it is pretty simple, kind of reminds me of lotoo paw os.

Sound wise I thought the M5s was a little to polite soubding and although good I liked my other daps at the time. This is subjective and personal opinion of course but I find the ultralinear mode to sound better than most of the daps I've heard. From memory I think sony z1 sounded a bit better, but that was a short demo. To me the tube effect adds quite a bit. I swear when I switch back to ss it sounds a bit flat- looses depth and presence/weight.

M5s I'm sure has better battery life, and is more svelte.

I just did a rudematary UI vid. You tube says it's going to take about 2 hours to load so I'll try and link it later. Ok here it is, forgive the miss hits, as I was using my phone to film it with one hand. And forgive the rabble at the end. Hopefully it will give you an idea.

Thank you for taking the time to record an UI walkthrough for N3Pro, you truly are passionate and helpful. :beerchug: :beerchug:

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,048 of 2,518
Sorry, Spain dealer decided to defer their order in last minutes.

Right now we have shipped N3Pro to our European dealers in UK, Poland, Netherlands, Russia, Germany and Ukraine. We have a Where to Buy page in our website but Germany and Ukraine is missing. You can contact Cayin GmbH or era-in-ear if you want to buy N3pro from them.
Hello Andy! @Andykong
I pre-ordered the N3Pro from oBravo Spain, are they the dealers who canceled their order? If so I need to talk to other sellers...
Thanks in advance and all the best.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,050 of 2,518
I've been trying to access the pictures of the UI but cannot connect

An error occurred during a connection to en.cayin.cn. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back