Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,021 of 2,518
There are two things i dislike only; Screen quality and volume wheel seems loose. Doubtful durability.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,022 of 2,518
I have only about 30 hrs so far. I hope it will open up the 4.4 output and improve the bass too.

Bass is still almost too powerful on 4.4, but to me the treble and stage has improved. Honestly I've got plenty of detail and treble on the UL mode and I've got that wonderful holographic sound. The SS modes to me just don't sound as good. I even like trileanear if I'm listening to jazz or vocals.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,023 of 2,518
Bass is still almost too powerful on 4.4, but to me the treble and stage has improved. Honestly I've got plenty of detail and treble on the UL mode and I've got that wonderful holographic sound. The SS modes to me just don't sound as good. I even like trileanear if I'm listening to jazz or vocals.

At the moment, I’m finding the bass of the tube outputs is not as tight and textured as 3.5 SS. Not sure it will improve with more time.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,024 of 2,518
At the moment, I’m finding the bass of the tube outputs is not as tight and textured as 3.5 SS. Not sure it will improve with more time.

I don’t think that's going to change, the tubes give the bass some oomph I mean there is some coloration going on there. That being said I find the bass on the UL mode rather nice. Reminds me of a good cd player of long ago :) I like the extra note thickness in the low end, especially on some rock.

I mean it's still has enough speed and resolution to really appreciate Tony Levin's Chapman stick :wink: and the mids an treble sound great for the rest of the guys. I want to add, I always put my daps on high gain and adjust the volume down when I actually listen- not burn in time. To me it seems to tighten things up- maybe just my imagination :)

20200922_101815.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,028 of 2,518
Anyone experienced this? Setting unit down on surface or moving suddenly, neither too forcefully, causes a high pitched whine for several seconds like a tone generator

That means it's legit tubes bruv. It was new to me when I had the xuelin 1969 tube dap... guess that's why people have tubes in their desktop setup

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,033 of 2,518
This tube ringing of which you speak, does causing such harm them?
There are no harms. They are just annoying like heck’s since the modern devices are all about silent back grounds and high fidelity.

The reason being is that Vacuums tubes operate on the electron clouds principles. So any physical vibrations would generate a physical sound waves (moving particles) and this makes the electrons moves and oscillate themselves before hitting the grids and arrive at the destinations. It is almost like a rock dropped that generates the ripples in the ponds :wink:....except instead of seeing the ripples visually, you are hearing it

You can take a bottle of water, give it a little motions and see the ripples hitting the walls!!! That is exactly how these tubes are being effected

These old school techs are full of noises , similar to LP and the dusts in the grooves, or the arm resonances....or tapes hisses....etc. Perhaps, this is the reason why they also sound different and good!!!! Just take it from the old school folks...they call it “Beautiful noises”

another
myth about tubes warm up is that also due to the clouds density and formation! The warmer the tubes are, the better it generates electric clouds. But tubes in general warm up much faster than any solid states components, for example when VS transistors, IC chips, and even resistors! Once warmed up, usually 60 seconds to 180 seconds, the tubes become stables, where as the other stuff could take as long as 15 minutes. Anyone who have made their own Amplifier and tuning the balances or offset, and feedbacks would know this. So, the fact is that any Solid states devices could take up to 15 minutes or longer to be stables are totally true....some people can observe it and hear it with their desktop systems, so they prefer to have their own DAC / amps to be always on!!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,034 of 2,518
There are no harms. They are just annoying like heck’s since the modern devices are all about silent back grounds and high fidelity.

The reason being is that Vacuums tubes operate on the electron clouds principles. So any physical vibrations would generate a physical sound waves (moving particles) and this makes the electrons moves and oscillate themselves before hitting the grids and arrive at the destinations. It is almost like a rock dropped that generates the ripples in the ponds :wink:....except instead of seeing the ripples visually, you are hearing it

You can take a bottle of water, give it a little motions and see the ripples hitting the walls!!! That is exactly how these tubes are being effected

These old school techs are full of noises , similar to LP and the dusts in the grooves, or the arm resonances....or tapes hisses....etc. Perhaps, this is the reason why they also sound different and good!!!! Just take it from the old school folks...they call it “Beautiful noises”

I'm finding stuff like piano has more body/resonance and sounds more realistic in tube mode. I likes it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back