Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,066 of 2,518
@Andykong if you are in the habit of picking up feature requests from this forum, I would prefer it if Play mode was accessible from the pull-down menu as well as from the push-up Music setting menu, as I frequently toggle between Shuffle, for playlists, and Play all, for albums.

There is a short-cut menu in N3Pro. Select the three dot at the top right corner of playback screen, Play mode is the first option in the pop up.

N3Pro Shortcut menu.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,067 of 2,518
Anyone know if the back and front screens are made from gorilla glass?

Both front and back screens are NOT from Gorilla Glass.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,068 of 2,518
I am puzzled: using proprietary Cayin USB C to coax cable, I nave different results that suggests N3P Is somewhat limited in sample frequency...

Same Song in DSD, light purple light on Mojo from Xduoo X10T, and Orange light from N3P... This means a drop from 768 to 48.…. What am I missing here?!

Somebody has and idea over this matter? Tnx

I maybe found some Infos

USB Audio out
Connector: USB-C
PCM:up to 32Bit/768kHz;
DSD : Up to DSD512(Native),DSD256(DoP),PCM 88.2kHz(DoP)

S/PDIF , Coaxial
Connector : USB-C(75ohm)
PCM:up to 192kHz
DSD:up to DSD64(DoP)

But why this gap between output then?

First of all, please check the DSD output in Music setting, please set it to DoP. The other options is D2P and that will convert DSD bitstream to 88.2kHz PCM before decoding.

Regarding S/PSIF vs USA Audio, that is the limitation of bandwidth and format limitation. S/PDIF was defined back in 1983, when the very first compact disc players started selling in the consumer market. It was mean for 44.1kHz and 48kHz bitstream at 20Bit, and by definition the upper limit is 24Bit/96kHz, fortunately the S/PDIF receiver and transmitter has been improved and 192kHz become feasible.

The USB Audio Class 2.0 is fairly recent format, a lot more update when compare to S/PDIF, they offer much wider bandwidth by default, and can support upto 32Bit/768kHz in N3Pro implementation.

So the limitation is on the S/PDIF format and receiver/transmitter available in the market. If you are in doubt:

Protocol specifications in Wiki
1600897037457.png

Explanation from What HiFi
1600897537880.png

Discussion in other forum when Coaxial can go upt o 192kHz
1600898171030.png

Last edited:

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,069 of 2,518
How is the noise floor on the tube output for more sensitive IEMs? Starting to look into potential upgrades from my Hiby R5.
I also have R5, but not any especially sensitive iems unless Dunu 3001pro, T800, FDX1, KPE (etc) are considered sensitive. If so, I can check for noise. However, I do not think of N3pro as an upgrade to R5–more side gradeish. Certainly not an upgrade as far as UI and streaming goes. I am enjoying warmer, fuller sound of N3pro, but it doesn’t strike me as night/day difference. Rather subtle so far but only a few hours use at this point

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,070 of 2,518
These are all high impedance earbuds, the VE Zen 2 Omegas is 320 Ω, the VE Sun DICE is 150Ω, not sure which version of Blurs you have, but I know they have a 400ohm version. These are no very demanding earphones so not sure if the 3.5mm tube mode can handle them satisfactory but I am glad to know that the 4.4mm output from N3Pro can handle them alright.

Yes, tube need burn in, I didn't hear significant different after 100 hours on my N3pro, but I can make solid opinion after 50 hours.

lately I've been running my TIN P1 and Shouer Tapes on the tube side UL. Pretty interesting what it does for those two IEMs.
Both sound better than I've ever heard with my original N3 or even the Zishan DSD playing DSDs out balanced.
Way different experience than those high ohm buds.
The P1s only sounded like this with the E1DA Power DAC v2

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,072 of 2,518
Quick question does Hiby Link on the iPhone support the UAT codec? (Guess not, given Apple is a closed system but on the off chance... if someone has the user manual)

As explained previously, HiByLink and wireless DAC is mutually exclusive, once you connect your iphone with N3Pro in HiByLink, it can only serve as a remote control to playback the music on N3pro. If you want to stream your music content from iphone to N3Pro (i.e., N3Pro works as a wireless DAC), then you need to connect them in standard BT connection (AAC codec by default) instead of HiByLink, LDAC and UAT are not supported by iPhone.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,073 of 2,518
Did my own unboxing on it, really like this thing.
It crashed about 3 times which was weird but nothing tragic. Gotta go with popular opinion, Ultralinear mode is the best one. If I may wish for something can we get a feature that'll prevent N3 Pro from charging while using as USB/DAC? Planning to use it as my desktop setup as well...

Thank you so much for your N3Pro open box video.

My N3Pro is very stable so far, it it crashed 3 times within a very short period, that is abnormal. PM me if this condition remain unchanged till now.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,074 of 2,518

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,075 of 2,518
Been using the N3Pro for the past week. Solidly built, simple and easy-to-use interface (though the album-loading lag can be annoying) and most importantly great sound, especially in UL tube mode. So far so good... until the time came to sync existing playlists on my mac. Is there a way to do this? Manually recreating playlists on the N3Pro would be too time consuming and it doesn't seem possible to rearrange tracks once they're added into the playlist.

Does anyone use playlists and sync them with their macs/PCs around here? The N3Pro is my first DAP and I’m struggling with this part of the experience. Any pointers would be most appreciated 🙏🏽

You can import M3U playlist from your computer to N3Pro. We are not familiar with Mac, but foobar can formulate their playlist into M3U, and we had written an instruction previously, check it out HERE and see if you can adopt this into your Mac notebook.

Last edited:

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,076 of 2,518
Here is my video about N3 Pro

Thank you so much, a very detail explanation on features and operations, and a very practical impression to potential buyers. :beerchug:

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,077 of 2,518
Planars eat current, this is in their DNA, so all planar IEMs should be benefited by the extra watts from balanced output.

Wonder which Ultrasones you are referring to? ED8? If you are referring to full size headphone from Ultrasones, then I can imagine songs that are simple and doesn't need a lot of dynamic or control might work fine. 130mW@32ohm is a lot in terms of sound pressure, but to control a 40mm or 50mm drivers require a lot more current then working with 10mm drivers in dynamic IEM, that explains why it work with certain songs and genres only.
The ultrasones I'm referring to are the signature studios.... They need a bit of power but not too hard to drive

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,079 of 2,518
Shoutout to @Andykong for taking the time to respond to everyone's questions! :beerchug:

Thats some real dedication right there

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,080 of 2,518
Shoutout to @Andykong for taking the time to respond to everyone's questions! :beerchug:

Thats some real dedication right there

Yes, makes me feel good about the purchase knowing that there's technical inside information available. I almost wrote some questions yesterday, but found out the answers myself :D The UI is a bit tricky sometimes, but that's the usual thing with new electronics. The little user guide is also worth a read, as well as the official product pages and Andykong's long write-ups about the tubes and technical architecture on pages 6 and 8 of this thread.

Been playing various genres and generally I seem to prefer the triode mode, so smooth :k701smile: (even for electronic music, example Westbam - Hard times). Have to see if I end up switching it around or sticking with one option.

The leather case feels pretty good in hand so that's certainly a nice one to have. My Ibasso DX160 has actually a pretty good silicon case so it's fun to have separate styles for these, creating a bit of mood and such :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back