Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Aug 8, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #181 of 2,940

N30LE Digital Audio and Decoding
  • Dual AK4499EQ, discontinued flagship 32-bit DAC chipset, mono mode, paralleled current outputs
  • Decode PCM up to 32bit/768kHz, DSD up to 1 Bit/22.6MHz (DSD512)
  • Solid 2x2 current to voltage I-V converter network as low noise high current output stage of AK4499EQ DACs.
  • Two extremely low-noise Femtosecond Crystal Oscillators to ensure high precision low jitter digital playback.
  • Comprehensive digital interface option: I2S (mini HDMI), USB Audio Input/output (USB-C), and S/PDIF Coaxial (Embedded USB-C)

N30LE incorporates two pieces of AK4499EQ from AKM in MONO mode. The DAC chipset will be programmed to provide fully balanced differential current output across all channels (8 channels). We shall connect these outputs in parallel (per 2 channels), and feed into a 2x2 IV converter network (four dual channel op-amp) to provide an optimized DAC output stage for subsequent audio circuits. The AK4499EQ is a very good DAC chipset, it is even better than the latest AK4499EX in terms of Dynamic range and number of channels per chip. It is most unfortunate that the AK4499EQ is discontinued. We had spent a lot of resources studying the design, options, and implementations of this chipset, and we had a limited stock of AK4499EQ in our inventory. While we don’t have enough stock to support the market demand for a regular product; however, it perfectly suited the positioning of N30LE as a limited edition anniversary product.

N30LE is configured such that both DAC chips operate in MONO mode regardless of whether users choose single-ended or balanced outputs. The advantage is that the DAC chipset will operate at its prime condition. In Mono mode, the dynamic range and S/N ratio of AK4499EQ are rated at 140 dB. When we switch to Stereo mode, the DAC can only deliver 137dB only. 3dB probably won’t mean a lot on some applications, but with high-end DAP like N30LE, even 1 dB of dynamic range is worth all the effort and resources we can devote. On the downside, this configuration generates heat and consumes more power affecting battery life.

I guess a lot of friends will have a big question mark by now. Where do we acquire AK4499EQ from? Let's a flashback to Q3 2020 when the Cayin R&D team was working very hard to roll out N8ii by the end of the year, we had developed an AK4499EQ-based DAP and started our Supply chain process. We placed our order to acquire parts and components to start our first product batch in October/November, and that included a “small amount” of AK4499 chipset from AKM. On October 2020, the AKM fire broke out and it took a total of three days to completely extinguish. No employees were injured during the fire, but the factory, which manufactures large-scale integrated circuits (LSIs) for audio equipment was severely damaged. Everything after that become public information: AKM discontinued AK4499EQ several months after the fire. Cayin didn’t wait for the final confirmation, we keep the AK4499 chips in our inventory, redesigned the N8ii with RoHM BD34301EKV DAC chipset, and rolled out the current N8ii in March 2021.

Without a doubt, the AK4499EQ is a fine DAC chipset, but it is a only starting point, a good DAC chipset won't deliver impressive audio performance until it is properly implemented. To maximize the performance of the DAC, our FPGA enhanced and reorganized the incoming digital signal to minimize jitter before passing the audio bit-stream to the AK4499EQ chipset. The FPGA was carefully selected to handle 32Bit/768kHz with PCM and 1Bit/22.6 MHz (DSD512) with DSD, given the lack of original source material beyond 385kHz and DSD256, the N30LE decoding capability is relatively safe in the foreseeable future.

The battle against jitter never ends, and it certainly won't stop at FPGA. Jitter is time distortion and experienced digital audio engineers know all too well that if we didn't handle the jitter properly, even the most expensive DAC chipset will produce music playback with digital artifacts and sounds unnatural to trained ears. There are two major sources of jitter in the DAC system: the time error introduces by the clock generator during synchronization and the noise in the digital audio signal line. The latter is best handled by improving the power supply to DAC and supporting components, which will be explained in another post. Cayin employs two Femtosecond Crystal Oscillators as internal dedicated clock generators for synchronization: one for digital audio signals with multiplies of 44.1kHz sampling frequency, and the other handling multiplies of 48kHz. These extremely low-noise oscillators improve the performance of the DAC chipset and deliver high-precision low jitter digital playback.

Last but not least, to process the paralleled current outputs from the two mono modes AK4497EQ properly, Cayin has implemented a solid 2x2 current to voltage I-V converter network (four dual Channel Op-Amp in total) as the low-noise high-current output stage of the AK4499EQ DACs. These will ensure the final output of the digital audio circuit is in prestigious condition and provides excellent driving capability to support the complete audio circuit.

Thank you for the explanation for why did Cayin pick AK4499EQ instead of AK4499EX. Time to say goodbye to my N8ii and hello to N30LE 😃

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #182 of 2,940
Congrats, love the N6ii, along with all the modules, and would love to try this (and your other new DAPs!) sometime.

Cheers! 🍻

Psst - The N6ii pairs well with DUNU IEMs (as well as many others). Luna, Zen, SA6, DK-4001, 15th anniversary…🤤 Love that thing.

Same goes for the Audeze iSine 10 and the (old but hopefully not forgotten) ortofon eq-5 and ortofon eq-7.

Here’s to another 30 years for all of my favorites! 🍸

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #184 of 2,940
Guilty as charged. :ksc75smile:
If I remember it right, you said your quest was over when you share your N7 impression last month. :smile:
Yeah I know... you should never say this because there is no end to "the quest".

N7 is so good and unique... by the way I wouldn't have minded a 1bit DAC in N30 LE it's so good :p
And I actually prefer N7 over N8ii, but that's down to taste more than a question of performance. The house sound is there alright and always loved it.
I don't see N7 has lower range than N8ii in fact in terms of performance :p

I also said I had my price limit and I would never go above 4K$ but...but now you release this amazing transportable and powerful DAP with Classic Tube mode 😭 and it came out of nowhere had I known I would have made the choice to wait for it

I have tried big form factor DAPs before as I tend to not use my sedentary that much but I use my DAPs at home or office exclusively (since I don't commute in transportation) so my use case fits the "size and weigh don't matter as long as I can carry it with one hand" which is not most people use case. DX220 Max was not for me, nor was DX300 Max. M17 has this exciting desktop like power that makes it different but I lack the engagement factor and top technicalities of Cayin, Sony or Hiby DAPs. So there comes the N30 LE announcement. How can I resist :heart_eyes: ?

And now my IEM collection is so huge and great that the next step is probably more the headphone way. So there is that...

Might sound like an anecdote but one thing caught my eye in N30 LE specs "470mF/5.5V ELDC (Electric Double-Layer Capacitor) ultra-capacitor as power reserve in the main power supply system." which has me convinced dynamics will be off the charts and and also that the DCA Stealth will be driven easy peasy to its best (btw FiiO M17 has a similarly spec'ed "supercapacitor" see capture of their specs and marketing below). It's a a "detail" that certainly caught my eye because so far the only DAP featuring this was M17. The macro dynamics you'll get from this I suspect is going to be spectacular.

1691567217755.png

Of course that's along many other things that I have enjoyed with Cayin DAPs (I have owned N6ii, N6ii Ti, N8ii, N7) A/AB switching and P/P+ mode, NuTube but I confess I wished N8ii had a more organic Tube mode like N8 this will now be fixed with N30 LE Classic Tube mode :grin:

So my pre-order is going in to @MusicTeck :100:
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll arrange selling a kidney :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #185 of 2,940
Yeah I know... you should never say this because there is no end to "the quest".

N7 is so good and unique... by the way I wouldn't have minded a 1bit DAC in N30 LE it's so good :p
And I actually prefer N7 over N8ii, but that's down to taste more than a question of performance. The house sound is there alright and always loved it.
I don't see N7 has lower range than N8ii in fact in terms of performance :p

I also said I had my price limit and I would never go above 4K$ but...but now you release this amazing transportable and powerful DAP with Classic Tube mode 😭 and it came out of nowhere had I known I would have made the choice to wait for it

I have tried big form factor DAPs before as I tend to not use my sedentary that much but I use my DAPs at home or office exclusively (since I don't commute in transportation) so my use case fits the "size and weigh don't matter as long as I can carry it with one hand" which is not most people use case. DX220 Max was not for me, nor was DX300 Max. M17 has this exciting desktop like power that makes it different but I lack the engagement factor and top technicalities of Cayin, Sony or Hiby DAPs. So there comes the N30 LE announcement. How can I resist :heart_eyes: ?

And now my IEM collection is so huge and great that the next step is probably more the headphone way. So there is that...

Might sound like an anecdote but one thing caught my eye "470mF/5.5V ELDC (Electric Double-Layer Capacitor) ultra-capacitor as power reserve in the main power supply system." which has me convinced dynamics will be off the charts and and also that the DCA Stealth will be driven easy peasy to its best (btw FiiO M17 has a similarly spec'ed "supercapacitor" see capture of their specs and marketing below). It's a a "detail" that certainly caught my eye because so far the only DAP featuring this was M17. The macro dynamics you'll get from this I suspect is going to be spectacular.

1691567217755.png

Of course that's along many other things that I have enjoyed with Cayin DAPs (I have owned N6ii, N6ii Ti, N8ii, N7) A/AB switching and P/P+ mode, NuTube but I confess I wished N8ii had a more organic Tube mode like N8 this will now be fixed with N30 LE Classic Tube mode :grin:

So my pre-order is going in to @MusicTeck :100:
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll arrange selling a kidney :smile:
If the N30LE even drives a Stealth with ease, it drives anything.
This would be impressive ... maybe it's the only DAP I ever "need" ...

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #186 of 2,940
If the N30LE even drives a Stealth with ease, it drives anything.
This would be impressive ... maybe it's the only DAP I ever "need" ...
M17 and Shanling M9 Plus can drive the Stealth quite well so I bet N30 LE will be easy peasy and actually will drive it better than both and also be a better match because I love my Stealth with Tubes :D

@DarginMahkum

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #187 of 2,940
So ... @Andykong ... the specs say it works with iOS as an external DAC/amp. Does this mean you can turn off the N30LE's USB charging - so it doesn't try and draw USB power and cause the phone to shut down its lightning port?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #188 of 2,940
Apparently both AK4499EX and AK4499EXEQ are similar designs but the latest EXEQ version has slightly better dynamic range and SN.
If that does mean that the N30LE Design could be adjusted to work with the AK4499EXEQ for a non limited run of N30 in a black chassis it would be win/win for everybody.
Maybe also use an aluminum case to save some costs.

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #189 of 2,940
This one will forever remain an unattainable dream .... :thinking: :see_no_evil::wink:

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #190 of 2,940
And mine is pre-ordered at @MusicTeck ❤️‍🔥

I am so STOKED !!!
And broke too but who cares eh?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #192 of 2,940
Most marketing teams can make up a lot of explanations to justify the cost dollars, especially when we are only in our early days of announcement and we have a lot of content/explanation rolling out in the near future. Unfortunately, I am not competent along this route, I'll simply tell you that if you are evaluating the N30LE from a price-performance perspective, you should skip this item already.

If you are calculating the price performance of a regular retail product against a special anniversary product that only produces in limited quantity, you are bound to be disappointed. The cost structure of a DAP with 4000 units per product cycle (for example) is way more efficient than a DAP with 400 units per product cycle. Even with exactly the same design, the BOM per unit of a product with 4000 units per product cycle will be significantly cheaper than the same design with a 1/10 production size. The inefficiency will be even worse when we spread the overhead to each unit pro rata.
Hi I get it , thank you for the reply the player looks beautiful

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #195 of 2,940
N30LE 1147-1  WB.jpg

DAO (Class A/AB), Dual Output Mode (P/P+), and the ultimate Hyper Mode

The Dual Amplifier Operation (DAO) implies the same amplification circuit in two distinctive modes of operations: Class A or Class AB. The difference between the two modes is simply the point at which the transistors are biased. In the case of Class A, the transistor is biased so that it will maintain linear operation over the entire signal cycle, while Class AB will compromise on linearity but improve significantly on efficiency by biasing the circuit to respond to amplification operation accordingly. Class A is a faithful reproduction of the input signals at lower distortion, but we cannot jump to the conclusion that one is better than the others in real life.

On the other hand, Dual Output Mode (DOM) regulates the operational voltage of the headphone amplification circuit to offer P (Standard) and P+ (High Power) modes. When we increase the voltage of our discrete headphone amplification circuit, it will not only deliver more power and improve its handling capability but also changed the sound of the discrete components. In other words, your IEM probably won’t need the extra power of the P+ mode, but it won’t hurt to have an alternative sound signature from their DAP.

DOM was first introduced in the original N8 (May 2018) while DAO was first introduced in E01 Andio Motherboard of N6ii (Dec 2019). We have implemented both features in numerous portable audio products ever since and they should be no strangers to Cayin users. We are not going to explain them in detail, if you are interested to read more about DAO and DOM, please check out our explanation n N8ii thread (HERE).

Portable audio products always have various limitations due to physical constraints such as size, heat dissipation, and battery life, and one of the limitations with DAO and DOM is that we can’t use Class A and P+ modes at the same time. The power supply system will have a hard time trying to fulfill the power requirements of Class A with P+, and the heat generated will be substantial even when we operate in this condition even for just a short while. There was a lot of discussion “speculating” (and requesting) Class A with P+ in N8ii thread, and we decided to demonstrate its feasibility and practicality in N30LE. Unlike previous products, regardless of balanced or single-ended output, Class A, Class AB, P, and P+ modes can be freely combined in N30LE, meaning users can choose the A and P+ simultaneously.

On top of enabling the Class A with P+ combination, we have decided to develop an ultimate “Hyper” mode. Ultimate is just an adjective within this relative framework. When our engineers prioritize audio output as the single most important factor and put all constraints such as heat dissipation and battery life asides. The idea of providing users with the most powerful audio performance mode comes into play, and this is where Hyper mode comes from.

Hyper mode in N30LE is more than activating Class A and P+ mode at the same time. It further adjusts and enhances the static working current and voltage under the Class A setting, achieving an “on the edge” operating condition that we have kept a safe distance from in the past. In Hyper mode, N30LE will sing in full dynamic without compromising the transparency and naturalness of the playback. The soundstage is expanded and well-organized.

Once Hyper mode is selected, both DAO and DOM are pre-selected, you can’t make further adjustments to these features. The good news is, The Hyper mode is independent of our Timbre circuit, so you can select Nutube Classic, Nutube Modern, and Solid-state timbre freely.

N30LE Hyper Mode UI.jpg

For everything you gain, you lose something else.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, Hyper mode will generate a lot of heat. The internal aluminum frame and the Titanium chassis will disperse the heat effectively (yes, the chassis become a big piece of the heatsink of the circuitry), but we strongly recommend you use this mode in well-ventilated conditions. In addition, the Hyper mode will consume a battery like a V12 sports car. Even with a 12570mAh battery, the Hyper mode will only sustain around 7.5 hours in the most demanding condition (4.4mm balanced phone out and Vacuum tube timbre), maybe shorter if we playback Hi-Res music format, turn on your screen and connected to WiFi or BT during playback. At 3.5mm single-ended phone out and solid-state timbre, you might be able to playback up to 11.5 hours continuously.

When we implement the discrete Class A amplification in N30LE, we have to make sure all four amplification channels are in near-identical gain. We have to manually match critical components and installed them to the PCB manually before reflow soldering. This is because the discrete components are not available in a form factor that can be installed with the automated PCBA process. In addition, we must control the static current so that the discrete components will remain perfectly stable operation in saturation mode, therefore adjustments is needed to compensate for the deviation caused by discrete components. As illustrated in the PCB photo below, there are FOUR adjustable resistors in place. We’ll fine-tune each assembled PCB manually to match our reference design. All these procedures involve extra resources and are very time-consuming, that’s why discrete Class A is an expensive option, especially on compact devices such as portable DAP.

I know there is one last question you want to ask: can we implement these features in mass-production DAP such as N8ii? The critical requirements of Hyper mode (or Class A and P+ concurrently) are:
  • better than the best power supply system - N30LE has the biggest battery (12670mAH) among Cayin DAPs, and the low internal resistance, high output power EDLC ultracapacitor will store and supply energy for the momentarily drain from the audio circuit.
  • extremely efficient heat dissipation system - N30LE has employed multiple tricks to direct and transmit the internal heat energy, to the internal CNC aluminum frame, which in turn will,, as mentioned previously, use the titanium chassis as a heat sink. When Hyper mode generates a lot of heat energy, we need to increase the total surface area of the heat sink, which means bigger will have an advantage over smaller DAP in this regard.

N30LE Discrete Amplifier on PCB.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back