Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,711 of 2,976
Now the question is: is Sp3k worth keeping or not?

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,712 of 2,976
Yea that’s it. Now it seems to be even more holographic than AK plus crazy liveliness. Literally put AK away after few min. Only area AK dominates is how clean and absolutely quiet background is.

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #1,713 of 2,976
That's indeed an area no DAP seems to top Sp3k, the blackness.
Have experienced this only with some desktop gear like Topping or RME in a similar way with IEMs but how loud is the rest of hissing with N30 actually?
Anything discernable with your IEMs?
Is it N7 level or less hissing?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,714 of 2,976
That's indeed an area no DAP seems to top Sp3k, the blackness.
Have experienced this only with some desktop gear like Topping or RME in a similar way with IEMs but how loud is the rest of hissing with N30 actually?
Anything discernable with your IEMs?
Is it N7 level or less hissing?
I wouldn’t even call it hissing. It’s more like extra clarity which translates to layering . That’s best I can describe. Sorry I suck at all these audio terms lol

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,715 of 2,976
I wouldn’t even call it hissing. It’s more like extra clarity which translates to layering . That’s best I can describe. Sorry I suck at all these audio terms lol
It's the most revealing unit I have ever heard. The micro detail it picks up in Hyper Mode will get you hearing things that you've never heard before. I would call it resolution or how it reveals the source tape you are listening to. For example, I was listening to Big Audio Dynamite on one of the streaming services and I swear I could hear the vinyl popping from the transfer. Like whoever transferred the song Rush to the streaming services recorded straight from vinyl to the digital format associated with streaming.

Now...you may not want to hear all of this. It can get overwhelming hearing the imperfections and such. I am listening through the Anni 2023 and it's beyond sonic bliss. t's studio-like and I haven't kept hyper mode on for all my material.

But it's a next level DAP. It's powerful yet sustains beauty all in one package. Even with the occasional warts in a recording....

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,716 of 2,976
It's the most revealing unit I have ever heard. The micro detail it picks up in Hyper Mode will get you hearing things that you've never heard before. I would call it resolution or how it reveals the source tape you are listening to. For example, I was listening to Big Audio Dynamite on one of the streaming services and I swear I could hear the vinyl popping from the transfer. Like whoever transferred the song Rush to the streaming services recorded straight from vinyl to the digital format associated with streaming.

Now...you may not want to hear all of this. It can get overwhelming hearing the imperfections and such. I am listening through the Anni 2023 and it's beyond sonic bliss. t's studio-like and I haven't kept hyper mode on for all my material.

But it's a next level DAP. It's powerful yet sustains beauty all in one package. Even with the occasional warts in a recording....

Ja, I've definitely experience this with a couple of Zero 7's live session records, specifically "Outline" with Lou Stone. You can hear Henry's piano foot pedaling in the recording. While it maybe distracting, I've appreciated that texture from the live recording.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,717 of 2,976
Had quite the same experience when i was listening for weeks exclusively to N30 and changed back to DX314.

The FW 1.1 to which i updated in the meantime was crap and made the N30 worse.
After todays update to the newest FW, N30 is back in full glory.
Not only it sounds better as with 1.1 FW but it runs also cooler and battery life improved. Also dynamic abilities of N30 are restored now. I totally forgot in the meantime how shockingly dynamic N30 is.
With the new FW is there still a major difference between the AP version and standard version? Is the AP version a lot better?

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,719 of 2,976
Now the question is: is Sp3k worth keeping or not?
Yes it worth it for me. Interface is much better and glitch free. Doesn’t get hot and more forgiving to material quality. Sp3k for me is like Iphone vs Android. SP is super easy to use, there is not much to tweak and really stable.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,720 of 2,976
Yes it worth it for me. Interface is much better and glitch free. Doesn’t get hot and more forgiving to material quality. Sp3k for me is like Iphone vs Android. SP is super easy to use, there is not much to tweak and really stable.
All true but couldn't afford keeping it next to N30LE AP.
Let's hope the best 😉

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,721 of 2,976
Have you compared Track encoded AIFF HighRes (or FLAC) and the same track encoded DSD ? Which one do you find souds better ?

Oct 25, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,723 of 2,976
Announcement of N30LE Firmware v1.2

New Functions and System Optimisation
  1. Fix the bug where Class A and P+ output mode cannot be adjusted simultaneously in the Audio Settings menu.
  2. Fix the bug where adjusting the volume during screen-off, then turning on the screen, and adjusting the volume on the lock screen, N30LE will revert the volume to the previous screen-off volume.
  3. Enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.
  4. Other bug fixes and optimisations.

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N30LE as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website, https://en.cayin.cn/

Attention
  • Please make sure the DAP has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your DAP has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N30LE to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  3. Press “check version”, the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects a new firmware. The N30LE operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin's official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N30LE_XXXX.zip which is used for the N30LE firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N30LE internal memory or the root directory of the TF card, and insert the TF card into N30LE before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.
My N30LE showed the ver1.2 update. It downloaded quickly OTA. And installation was kicked off. The screen is stuck at 36% installation for a very long time. Is this normal?
EDIT1: It is frozen at 36%. @Andykong, how to quit this and restart the update?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,724 of 2,976
My N30LE showed the ver1.2 update. It downloaded quickly OTA. And installation was kicked off. The screen is stuck at 36% installation for a very long time. Is this normal?
I believe you need to hold power up button for 10 seconds or till it restarts

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,725 of 2,976
I don't hVe N30LE with me, but I believe this is standard Android recovery procedures so it should work with N30LE:

Disconnect your WiFi.

At the top right corner of the firmware update page, click the three dot, select clean cache.

Reboot your N30LE and connect to WiFi again, you should be able to download the firmware again.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back