Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,741 of 2,988
How's the quality of the stock case btw?
Have to say that the N7 case is losing its color yet after half a year at the bottom side.
N30LE case is genuine uncolored leather?
No aftermarket cases yet, right?

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,742 of 2,988
How's the quality of the stock case btw?
It’s adequate. The magnetic left side flap is nicely integrated and allows for easy access. Mine fits just right, not too tight avoiding accidental button pushes. Overall not too padded, covers key areas.

Have to say that the N7 case is losing its color yet after half a year at the bottom side.
N30LE case is genuine uncolored leather?
No aftermarket cases yet, right?

It’s warm grayish-brown in color like my warm gray Dignis Astrum RS8 case and has a distressed-like smooth finish, similar to the official N7 aftermarket case.

No aftermarket cases, yet. I’ve been checking the Dignis Design IG for updates and hoping they’ll churn out a case despite N30LE limited numbers.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,743 of 2,988
It’s adequate.

It’s warm grayish-brown in color like my warm gray Dignis Astrum RS8 case and has a distressed-like smooth finish, similar to the official N7 aftermarket case.

No aftermarket cases, yet. I’ve been checking the Dignis Design IG for updates.
Would be just annoying to buy that Mercedes bundle and seeing the color wearing off after half a year, let's see but definitely interested in good aftermarket options like Dignis

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,745 of 2,988
I've had a week-and-change of proper listening with my* N30LE at this point. About 100 hours in total. Which means if it hasn't been playing it's been charging (I've not tried listening while charging yet - beyond making sure it worked).

I went for the N30LE primarily for its flexibility in output modes, with the biggest driver there being the potential for something that delivered a similar signature to that of the original N8. I didn't get on with the N8ii, nor the C9 (driven by other DAPs) as they didn't recreate the "magic" of the N8 in its tube mode for me (basically not “tubey” enough).

The N30LE does not disappoint in this regard.

At all.

Classic Tube mode gets me right back to what I enjoyed most about the presentation of the N8, and haven't found in any subsequent product, while managing to elevate the N8's technical performance significantly. Faster, more resolving, better impact/slam, more natural timbre ... but still retaining the lush, lucid, vivid liquidity and holographic presentation that I loved on the N8**.

Every listening session, so far, has been a thoroughly engrossing "just one more album ..." experience ... until either life intruded or it was time to charge the thing.

Now, I have spent some time in other modes. All are excellent - with slight shifts in emphasis on technicalities ... "improving" (objectively) as you go to "Modern" tube mode, and then into solid-state. Personally, I like Class A (or Hyper) and Classic Tube modes the best - to the point that unless I need more power or to extend the battery life for a given situation, I doubt I'll spend nearly as much critical listening time in the other modes.

The N30LE completely obliterates my prior DAP, the A&K SP2000. The other portable option I use is a 2Go/Hugo2 setup. The N30LE is far more enjoyable than that, also – though on a technicalities level they’re in the same ballpark. And the N30LE doesn’t need the all the fannying about that using a 2Go as anything other than a Roon endpoint entails.

Very impressive. Incredibly engaging. Thoroughly engrossing. Extremely glad I bought it, and that I didn’t just bail out on the original unit or replacement.

Teething troubles notwithstanding, Cayin have done an outstanding job how this thing sounds. And I hope some of what’s here trickles down into a C9 or N8ii successor.

Next stop … proper impressions once I have my re-biased unit.

---

*This is my 2nd unit. The first had some hiss, noise and static issues, in all modes/on all connections, with all transducers, that only occurred when it got over 100F. That unit was promptly replaced. The replacement exhibits the class A/4.4mm hiss issue - but so far only with my IE600 ... so I've simply done all my listening with other IEMs/headphones. Cayin are replacing this unit with one of the adjusted/re-biased units.

**If I could have streamed directly on the N8, or used it as a USB DAC/amp with an iPhone, I'd never have sold it.
Hugo2go has been unmatched. Destroys the sp3000 as well. You say matches on technical bit more enjoyable? How is this better than hugo 2go exactly??

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,747 of 2,988
Hugo2go has been unmatched. Destroys the sp3000 as well. You say matches on technical bit more enjoyable? How is this better than hugo 2go exactly??

Hugo 2go destroys the sp3000 there is defo some mass hypnosis happening in some of these forums.
Nahh, no mass hypnosis or anything happened here. You just love your Hugo2go too much and we love our N30 so it's a matter of preference. Simple as that 😏

Or have you tried the N30 yet? Based on your statement it seems you haven't.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,748 of 2,988
Nahh, no mass hypnosis or anything happened here. You just love your Hugo2go too much and we love our N30 so it's a matter of preference. Simple as that 😏

Or have you tried the N30 yet? Based on your statement it seems you haven't.
Have not. Referring to the sp3000. However no one has given a doeect comp to the hugo2go other then they match technically but the n30 makes them happier whatever that means. Cmon. Lets get a little more detail vs that fluff

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,749 of 2,988
Have not. Referring to the sp3000. However no one has given a doeect comp to the hugo2go other then they match technically but the n30 makes them happier whatever that means. Cmon. Lets get a little more detail vs that fluff
I have owned the Hugo 2. I really loved it but ultimately sold it as it gave a digital edge to everything I ran through it. I prefer more warm and detailed sound over extreme detail and razor sharp transients. While this may be your preference, it’s not for everyone. And what one thinks destroys another thing is simply subjective. I haven’t heard SP3000 but not a fan of the AK house sound. I would choose Hugo 2 over an Astell and Kern myself but not over the N30LE. Just my opinion. There is really no single piece of gear to rule them all. ✌🏼

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,750 of 2,988
I have owned the Hugo 2. I really loved it but ultimately sold it as it gave a digital edge to everything I ran through it. I prefer more warm and detailed sound over extreme detail and razor sharp transients. While this may be your preference, it’s not for everyone. And what one thinks destroys another thing is simply subjective. I haven’t heard SP3000 but not a fan of the AK house sound. I would choose Hugo 2 over an Astell and Kern myself but not over the N30LE. Just my opinion. There is really no single piece of gear to rule them all. ✌🏼
N30 sounds intriguing. Need to give one a shot. Anyone try it with the ravens or multiverse?

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,751 of 2,988
N30 sounds intriguing. Need to give one a shot. Anyone try it with the ravens or multiverse?
If you can demo one, it’s worth a shot. I haven’t tried either of those sets with mine but everything I’ve ran through it has had great synergy.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #1,752 of 2,988
The best thing about this “hobby”/ obsession that I have recently entered, is that there is a great, mutual respect for each and everyone’s tastes, preference(s) and choices. That’s cool AF! Hey, healthy debate is what keeps it interesting here!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,753 of 2,988
I believe someone here have both IEMs so let's wait for their response. You should try N30 if you haven't, but if your preference is neutral reference sound then I don't think you're going to like it because N30 is a colored DAP

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #1,754 of 2,988
I sent my Raven for replacement few days before my N30 arrived.
I did listened a little bit to Hugo 2go since friend of mine has it as desktop setup. I prefer SP3000 over Hugo. Specifically, SP3k felt more holograohic, less piercing in high frequency and blacker background. I suspect that maybe some settings would allow Hugo to be adjusted to my taste. I’m not audiophile nor I am an expert. That being said, I don’t see any device destroying SP3k. While I do favor N30 now , SP3k is very close. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,755 of 2,988
I have the 1st generation Mojo and also owned Hugo 2 later. Hugo 2 was technically brilliant, but there was this brightness to it that made it difficult for me to fully embrace the sound. I still have my 1st generation Mojo and keep using them frequently.

But N30LE is a colored dap, done in a very tasteful way. Lots of details, yet very organic/analogue/musical.

In the past I've owned AK Jr & AK120ii. And never have used AK DAPs since then. Have been using Sony WM1Z (and still have it) and now the N30LE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back